The Road

TravisBickle

As a fan of the novel, I hope the film is at least good and keeps the ending as open as it is in the book. Overall, very good signs thus far for The Road:

John Hillcoat is directing, not much to his name beyond The Proposition which is a very good movie.

Nick Cave (who shares a birthday with me, sorry I have to say this every time I mention him) is doing the soundtrack

Viggo Mortenson as The Man, along with supporting roles from Robert Duvall, Guy Pearce, and Charlize Theron.

9q9vo7.jpg

road191.jpg

Hawkeye

Oh god. I have to read the book for college, and my girlfriend and I can hardly get past the first couple pages. This is one movie I am not looking forward to. (n)

roundshort

Awesome book, awesome music, always liked Nick Cave, and will see anything with Viggo (except the homo erotic dwarf elf movies)! Very cool. The sad thing is they are filming this close to where I grew up in Western PA, as it has the least sunny days.

Sad they are making you read the Road, I think C's best work, and great college fodder was Blood Meridian.

TravisBickle

The consensus I've noticed from The Road is pretty split. For some it is hard to penetrate and is a struggling read. While others find it gripping and readable. I read the book in a day.

MaxPhactor23

So essentially they needed a crappy looking town to play as their post-apocalyptic setting, so naturally they came to my town. I was on set and everything. Pretty fun. I got a picture with Viggo, my LOTR's signed too. He was extremely nice. I'll post the photo when the film's released.

agentsands77

I'm interested. I really liked THE ROAD.

roundshort said:
Sad they are making you read the Road, I think C's best work, and great college fodder was Blood Meridian.
Ridley Scott's making a movie out of BLOOD MERIDIAN sometime in the future.

TheMutt92

So whats the plot? Correct me if I'm wrong, all I've heard is something about a post-apocalyptic world or something.

The Man

The Road To Perfection..?

I'm an avid Cormac McCarthy fan and 'The Road' is my favorite of his works. It's by far his most poetic book which made me weary of seeing it made into a film, because how can any filmmaker capture his gorgeous prose and put it up on a screen? The Coen Brothers did it to near perfection, but 'The Road' is far more abstract and minimalistic than No Country for Old Men.

Well it's been done. Because this movie is incredible.

The Man

<object width="720" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/10979"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/10979" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="356"></embed></object>​

Montana Smith

I was looking forward to seeing this. Had the DVD for a few weeks but determined to finish watching all of The Sopranos first (which was an excellent prelude, by the way).

I really like post-apocalyptic tales, and from what I'd read I knew The Road might be tough to stomach.

It certainly didn't disappoint, and took the genre to its harrowing conclusion. I needn't reiterate what much of the film reminded me of! (Did you notice the bottle cap among the boy's possessions in the shelter?)

Poignant, unflinching, brutal. Yet with a little glimmer of hope, and the promise of an approximation of normality. But for how long?