Total Recall

roundshort

13 year old roundshort did, for about a week. A nice 80's action flick with the Gov! Have not seen it for years.

oki9Sedo

roundshort said:
13 year old roundshort did, for about a week. A nice 80's action flick with the Gov!

Its a classic old-fashioned action adventure, very much in the spirit of the Indiana Jones movies in terms of how its a pure action-adventure ride with no intention except to excite you, thrill you, humour you and entertain you for the full two hours.

Its really original and inventive as well, with a very compelling story full of twists and turns, great locations, great effects, great dialogue, great characters played by actors who fully get the tone of what they're doing, and a great score by the late Jerry Goldsmith.

Its much gorier obviously than the Indiana Jones films, but never with the intention of being horrifying. Its done in an excessive, over-the-top comic book way to please hardcore action junkies and gorehounds.

Lets not forget Arnie's one-liners:

"Consideh dat a divoors!"
"Hey Benny! SCREWWW YOUUUUUU!!!"
"See you at de pahty Richteh!"

Have not seen it for years.

Then get your ass to Mars!

barranca

I loved it at the time, but it has dated over the years, it seems a little ''set bound'' now too, It could use a little 'digital expansion' like Bespin in Empire!

Michael24

An action classic! One of Schwarzenegger's best, not to mention a knock-out of a Jerry Goldsmith score (even if some of the best stuff was cut out; the "Deluxe Edition" soundtrack is a solid A+).

Salacious

Love this movie. Def one of my fav Arnie movies. Some of his most memorable lines come from this movie...

"The guy was a f***ing assh**e!"

"Consider it a divorce"

"See you at the party Richtor!!" as he throws both his arms of the elevator! CLASSIC 80's action!!!

Action movies today suck in comparison to what Arnie, Sly, and Willis did in the 80's and 90's.

deckard24

"Give those people air!!!"
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QuKukG1VPVo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QuKukG1VPVo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

oki9Sedo

deckard24 said:
"Give those people air!!!"
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QuKukG1VPVo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QuKukG1VPVo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thats brilliant! I'd say the director Paul Verhoeven would laugh his ass off at that!

Montana Smith

Promoting Total Recall (2012) at SDCC:

391319_10150992463759585_926833436_n.jpg

Total-Recall-4.jpg

Total-Recall-3.jpg

:D

AndyLGR

I watched the 2012 version of this film.

Its set solely on Earth with only 2 habitable places (Britain and Australia). I liked the look of the cities and the futuristic aspects of everything. Although the visuals of the movie reminded me of minority report, blade runner, I robot and Star Wars.

There's nothing wrong with the special effects or the action sequences, they are very impressive and I liked how they got between the 2 colonies on earth, through the core.

Kate Beckinsale was easily the best thing about the movie, she replaces the SharonStone/Michael Ironside characters from the original. Colin Farrel is engaging enough i guess, even though hes no Arnie type macho action hero, and similarly Jessica Biel seems superfluous to the proceedings, but the main problems I thought were:

• Grounding it solely on earth.
  • The goal of Cohagen was quite boring and as the film plays out it left me quite underwhelmed, nothing like the mysticism of the original with aliens building a reactor and then switching it on to create air for the inhabiants of Mars. In fact it left me not caring for what the end goal was.
  • No clear visual divide between the 2 territories they visit on earth (other than it rained in the Australia scenes).
  • The character of Cohagen hardly appears til the end, and when he does you feel like "who's this guy?"
  • It lacks the humour and charm of the original.
  • The rebels dont seem to play as much as a part as they do in the original and when you eventually meet the rebel leader theres no real build up to it, and because there is no mutant aspect to this movie there is nothing worth waiting for with the rebel leader either.

I think although it looks very nice, but it comes off as quite soulless overall and would of been better had they spent more time on the story / objective of Cohagen. I'd give it a 5/10.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

AndyLGR said:
I watched the 2012 version of this film.

Its set solely on Earth with only 2 habitable places (Britain and Australia). I liked the look of the cities and the futuristic aspects of everything. Although the visuals of the movie reminded me of minority report, blade runner, I robot and Star Wars.

There's nothing wrong with the special effects or the action sequences, they are very impressive and I liked how they got between the 2 colonies on earth, through the core.

Kate Beckinsale was easily the best thing about the movie, she replaces the SharonStone/Michael Ironside characters from the original. Colin Farrel is engaging enough i guess, even though hes no Arnie type macho action hero, and similarly Jessica Biel seems superfluous to the proceedings, but the main problems I thought were:

• Grounding it solely on earth.
  • The goal of Cohagen was quite boring and as the film plays out it left me quite underwhelmed, nothing like the mysticism of the original with aliens building a reactor and then switching it on to create air for the inhabiants of Mars. In fact it left me not caring for what the end goal was.
  • No clear visual divide between the 2 territories they visit on earth (other than it rained in the Australia scenes).
  • The character of Cohagen hardly appears til the end, and when he does you feel like "who's this guy?"
  • It lacks the humour and charm of the original.
  • The rebels dont seem to play as much as a part as they do in the original and when you eventually meet the rebel leader theres no real build up to it, and because there is no mutant aspect to this movie there is nothing worth waiting for with the rebel leader either.

I think although it looks very nice, but it comes off as quite soulless overall and would of been better had they spent more time on the story / objective of Cohagen. I'd give it a 5/10.

I agree with everything you wrote.

It looks good, but, apart from the gorgeous Kate Beckinsale, there's very little engaging about the film.

Looked very much like the world of Blade Runner, with the rain, umbrellas, Chinatown, clear plastic raincoats, 'spinners'.

The action was well done, but felt awkward or misplaced as sequences dragged on too long as though the director was filling for time. It needed to get to Mars. I think that's what was missing.

P.S. Could also have done with more of the lady of the night offering her special brand of 'extra'.