Two Versions of the Idol

Deckard

There are 3 idols technically.

The first is the "Moving Eyes" idol which is what we see on the pedestal. Most likely gold leafed.

The 2nd is the one Belloq holds up to the Hovitos, it is gold vacuum metallized w/ pupils drawn or painted on the eyes.

Then the 3rd are the rubber stunt idols like for when its dropped or thrown to Satipo.

The one I got a hold of is supposed to be from the "Belloq" mold and is vacuum metallized by the same company.

0008-1.jpg

Kooshmeister

The Golden Idol said:
I think the fertility being represented by the idol is the ability for a woman's eggs to be fertilized and give birth, thus the idol is a figure of woman giving birth to a baby.

Yeah, Golden Idol is right, females can be just as fertile as males. The Hovitos obviously just worshipped female fertility (the ability to give birth) rather than male fertility (the ability to sow seeds if you will). Perhaps they lived in a female dominated society.

Y'know, this brings up an interesting moral quandry. I believe there was a Marvel comics series that dealt with Indiana getting the Idol back and finally adding it to the university's collection (Belloq did indeed hawk it where Indy said he would). But does it actually belong there? Unlike Coronado, who is dead "and so are all his grandchildren," the Idol does actually have rightful owners, namely the Hovitos.

I mean, Indy returned the last Sankara Stone to the people of Mayapore because it was theirs and it brought life and happiness to their village. Should not the Hovitos, as aggressive as they are, be granted the same rights?

(And for those who might find it interesting that same comic introduced Toht's sister, Ilsa, who is just as bad as her brother.)

Last edited: