Weekend Box Office- Good News, Bad News

Rococo

Actually, none of it is terribly bad news..

Good news: Domestically, Indy beat Sex in the City in it's second weekend, as SITC suffered dramatically lower numbers this weekend than last. Staying power, thy name is not Sex in the City.

Indy was #3, behind opening of Kung Fu Panda (biggest kid-oriented movie of the summer, thus far), and opening of You Don't Mess With the Zohan (historically, Adam Sandler movies do very, very well). Considering there were two BIG openings this weekend, in two demographics that crossover to Indy fans (kids, younger adults), Indy did very respectably. This is a TOUGH summer movie season- gas is too expensive, people are staying close to home and going to the movies. Good for the industry, bad for individual films.

Sort-of bad news: SITC took over the top international spot, barely edging out Indy (estimates showing about a 2 million dollar difference between the two films). SITC will likely see it's international numbers plummet next week like they have domestically this week, but Kung Fu Panda is expected to be the next 'big thing' internationally.

Overall, Indy still doing very well, with almost triple total SITC international take. I also haven't seen anything yet about the Japan BO numbers, which were estimated to be huge for Indy.

Michael24

KOTCS has already passed $500 million worldwide in just a little over two weeks, so that's pretty sweet all around. It's also now currently #43 for all-time domestic, I believe. Can't remember the exact ranking, but it's somewhere in the high-40s. (y)

BiffMan

Rococo said:
I also haven't seen anything yet about the Japan BO numbers, which were estimated to be huge for Indy.

Has it been released in Japan yet? I know they've had the premiere, but Boxofficemojo has it listed as a 6/21 opening date for Japan.

Katarn07

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=15158

This could have gone in that one ^

It doesn't need good numbers for me. Only movies I want sequels to need high numbers. TDK and Narnia are two I hope to do well. I want WB to keep their hands of Nolan's work (as Sony failed to do with Raimi's Spidey 3) and I want all 7 Narnias to be made as a film.

I don't need a sequel to KotCS in any shape or form. I'm content with finally having seen Indy IV after eight long years of following news on it online.

The Man

The Incredible Hulk has recently transformed from wobbly-legged foal to summer's dark-horse. It's received more-than-decent early word. A big opening this week would surely send Indy towards the lower half of the top ten...in the U.S. at least.

Kingsley

I know it means almost nothing...

KOTCS just beated Raiders as the biggest (domestic) box office Indy movie :hat:

But don't mix money with quality please...

James

The Man said:
A big opening this week would surely send Indy towards the lower half of the top ten...in the U.S. at least.

Actually, with only two new major releases this Friday, Indy has a good chance of remaining in the Top 5. But either way, it will be Indy's 4th weekend and the verdict is already in. The major dropoff that many predicted never happened.

Hulk will easily be #1, but its performance will be compared with Iron Man- not Indy. It's currently expected to open with about $60-65 million, although that could change in the next few days. If it doesn't, it will basically be opening with the same amount as 2003's Hulk. However, I would assume that the new film will have better legs.

The Happening is expected to open with about $20-25 million. Both of these films have been viewed as underdogs for some time now, but it remains to be seen whether anyone will begin to champion this one.

So assuming Hulk and Kung Fu Panda claim the top spots, Zohan may end up fighting Happening for the third position. Indy has held better than either SATC or Strangers, and could easily round out the top five.