What Happened to Them?

RedeemedChild

Last year and the year before and the year before that news spread across the internet, radio stations and various newspapers and magazines that Jonny Quest, Thundercats, The Jetsons, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe and Voltron would all be getting movie adaptations in the light of the successful dawn of family action summer blockbusters as the classics made a comeback via so called reboots like J.J. Abrams Star Trek, WB/Wachowski Brothers's magical eye candy Speed Racer, Superman Returns and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.

My only question is: where are these nostalgic reboots?

I'm very much up for He-Man and the Masters of the Universe along with ThunderCats and The Pirates of Dark Water. I'm not so sure about The Jetsons and Voltron as I'd prefer the former to be animated and the latter not to be rebooted at all as I think the Voltron cartoon is perfect and does not need a silver screen journey.

I know Hollywood likes to keep such projects ?under the radar? but I think that at lest some bit of news would be comforting.

he-man-maa.JPG

However, in the matter of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, I?d prefer for Andrew Adamson and Peter Jackson to co-direct and write the films and to be produced by Gore Verbinski.

liono.jpg

In regards to ThunderCats, I think that Ted Elliot and Linda Woolverton should the film and that Robert Zemeckis, Jerry Bruckheimer and Craig Van Sickle should co-direct ThunderCats as I think that they?ve got ?the right stuff.?

pirates-of-the-dark-water.jpg

As for The Pirates of Dark Water, I think that Tim Burton, Richard D. Zanuck and Andrew Adamson should both direct and produce the film. I also think that Linda Woolverton and Ted Elliot should be the writers.

Agent Crab

I really don't think you're that old to have enjoyed such 80's classic stuff like ha;f of us here, RC. That's me saying that.

There's been a He-Man rboot. It was a while ago. GI Joe had serval stuff like Sigma 6, the DiC version of GI Joe, which continued off Sunbow and Extreame. There's been Extreame Ghost Busters.

Transformers had serval shows as well. Transformers Animated being pretty close to it's G1 counterpart, even adding G1 Refernces such as Spike, Carly, Wreck Gar talking about the Universal Greeting and so on.

Voltron in the US was basicaly Japan's GoLion.

Then again, we live in the age of where every kid wants to watch crap like Naruto, Flapjack, Chowder or Fanboy and Chum Chum and not care if shows like these that most people watched in the day.

RedeemedChild

Moedred said:
These scripts were disseminated years ago... read for yourself why audio-visual interpretations were deemed unnecessary.

Thundercats
Johnny Quest
Jetsons
Grayskull - The Masters Of The Universe
Voltron

Thanks for those scripts Moedred.

I liked the Masters of the Universe and Thundercats scripts the best. The Jetsons script has a lot to be desired but I find the Jonny Quest script quite fascinating.

I sincerely hope that the movie companies will go forward with creating films out of Pirates of Dark Water, Masters of the Universe, Thundercats and Jonny Quest. So far, from what I've read this past month the Jonny Quest movie is moving forward with Zac Effron still on the casting roster and so are the Conan The Barbarian and Warcraft movies. However, it would appear from some internet buzz sites that the Masters of the Universe is still on track but with a new script and a release date for 2012.

phantom train

Being a child of the '80's, it will be cool to see how all of these re-boots are handled.

The new Thundercats cartoon (& possibly a new line of toys) looks like it's scheduled to come out in 2011. Based on the early designs I've seen online, this will be excellent - I'll reserve judgement until I actually see this, however.

Based on what I saw of this, Pirates of Dark Water (early '90's cartoon) was excellent. However, I don't think a live action film is the way to go here - a new cartoon or an animated movie would be great to see, however.

A new Masters of the Universe film may be good, but I'm not sure a live-action film is the way to go here either. The 1987 film was atrocious, but effects have changed a lot since then - so, time will tell.

Agent Crab

phantom train said:
Being a child of the '80's, it will be cool to see how all of these re-boots are handled.

The new Thundercats cartoon (& possibly a new line of toys) looks like it's scheduled to come out in 2011. Based on the early designs I've seen online, this will be excellent - I'll reserve judgement until I actually see this, however.

Based on what I saw of this, Pirates of Dark Water (early '90's cartoon) was excellent. However, I don't think a live action film is the way to go here - a new cartoon or an animated movie would be great to see, however.

A new Masters of the Universe film may be good, but I'm not sure a live-action film is the way to go here either. The 1987 film was atrocious, but effects have changed a lot since then - so, time will tell.

Reboots are more of a "Your Milage may Vary" trope.

Considering alot of us were born in the 80's in here. Pirates of Dark Water was indeed an awesome show.

Speaking of Reboots. Ever remember the Canadian CGI show of the same name?

Matt deMille

I would love to see most of these myself. The problem is they have multiple owners, and everyone wants a bigger piece of the pie. Not just the studio, but the toy company and cartoon company that has joint-ownership in the properties. These shows take years and years and centuries to get made because nobody can agree, either on creative direction of the property and their percentage of the money.

Last I heard, Voltron was being developed. But in Hollywoodspeak, at best, that means it's years away, sadly.

Masters of the Universe was in a similar situation until recently, but then was dropped for whatever reason.

It's a shame. The '80s cartoons and toys would make kick ass movies!

RedeemedChild

phantom train said:

I agree with you regarding Pirates of Dark Water. However, when it comes to live action movies all you've got to do is call upon the makers of Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia and the folks who did the cinematic scenes for Star Wars The Force Unleashed II and you're sure to have a blockbuster.

However animation is so underrated as well. How To Train Your Dragon is by FAR the best animated movie I've seen in years. It surpasses any of the animated movies that were released last year with the exception of Disney's Bolt. I can't wait to see How To Train Your Dragon 2.

Agent Crab

RedeemedChild said:
However animation is so underrated as well. How To Train Your Dragon is by FAR the best animated movie I've seen in years. It surpasses any of the animated movies that were released last year with the exception of Disney's Bolt. I can't wait to see How To Train Your Dragon 2.

2D animation is a lost cause, since there hasn't been anything 2D wise, aside from Princess and the Frog. Where as after Home on the Range was the "last" 2D animated film, Disnye made Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons and Bolt. Then we had Princess and the frog.

3D is the new thing it seems when it coems to animation. Even the short New Loony Toons shorts with Cats and Dogs: Kitty Galore was in 3D.

Dr. Gonzo

There is a thing in Hollywood called "Development hell".

Indiana Jones' last outing was there for a while.

I don't think people realize that the process even before pre-production is mostly always the longest.

After skimming some of the above scripts it doesn't surprise me that they aren't getting a cinematic release as of this date.

Hell, only one of them even half interested me.

RedeemedChild

Agent Crab said:
2D animation is a lost cause, since there hasn't been anything 2D wise, aside from Princess and the Frog. Where as after Home on the Range was the "last" 2D animated film, Disnye made Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons and Bolt. Then we had Princess and the frog.

3D is the new thing it seems when it coems to animation. Even the short New Loony Toons shorts with Cats and Dogs: Kitty Galore was in 3D.

2D Animation is not completely dead Agent Crab. However I do miss it.

At lest Young Justice, Green Lantern First Flight, Wonder Woman, Hulk Vs. Thor and the new Thor The Animated Series along with the the new Marvel anime line of shows unveiled at Comic-Con are all 2D.

There is a place for 2D animation. However 3D is dominate. And I loved How To Train Your Dragon along with Dispicable Me.

Below is news on these new shows:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/07/2...ore-marvel-anime-projects-head-to-g4-in-2011/

http://screencrave.com/2010-07-21/comic-con-2010-g4-gets-marvel-animated-series/

http://www.ugo.com/tv/comic-con-2010-marvel-animation-panel

http://tv.ign.com/articles/110/1106791p1.html

http://www.thewetumpkaherald.com/articles/2010/07/28/sports/sports03.txt

http://www.startribune.com/entertai...ksD:aDyaEP:kD:aUq9_b9b_jEkP:QUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU