What if it was Shorty instead

FordFan

I don’t want to see a 50-year-old Short Round.

Not to say Helena was the best sidekick, but at least she’s an original. Indy has had countless sidekicks throughout his run. Bringing Shorty back limits the scope of the series.

michael

I don’t want to see a 50-year-old Short Round.

Exactly. Part of the greatness of his character is that he's a dang kid! lol

Again, it's what makes ToD so fun and unique. He was incredibly capable, and Indy's natural trust in him, seen literally in Short Round's first scene (driving) makes for such a fun dynamic.

T06J00

As for Short Round, he was never portrayed as just a sidekick of the week sort of character, not like Willie (who clearly is). Indy has a history with him that predates ToD and one can assume that relationship continues after ToD. In fact, almost all of Indy’s other sidekicks are important to him too: Marion, Sallah, Henry Sr., Marcus, Mutt, and so on. Even Wu Han says they went on many adventures together.

Yeah, I think in Indy's lost journal there's a letter from Shorty telling him about the Peacock's Eye in 1957.

ClanVizsla

If Short Round were to come back, it should have been at the wedding scene in Crystal Skull. I know that things have changed on a meta level, with Ke Huy Quan not only getting back into acting but being super successful...but, still, that was the moment.

That said, when I heard the rumors that there had been some re-shoots to the ending (not to dredge up a whole big debate from another thread about that), I kinda thought Shorty was coming through the door with Sallah the first time I saw the film. Ah, well...probably for the best, as a quick cameo in the dying minutes would have just felt like fan service, esp when the Indy and Marion relationship needed to be focused on.

As for Helena: she was great! It's very funny to watch the anti-feminist crowd try to wrap themselves around the "they brought in another MARY SUE girl character!" about someone who was very clearly flawed and broken who kept screwing things up until Indy taught her there was more to life than fortune and glory. (Not that any regular ol' person is wrong to dislike her...she is designed to be abrasive and irritating at times. But, well, a certain type of person went into the movie needing to hate her, and their narrative didn't change even when they saw how the story was told.)

Lance Quazar

If Short Round were to come back, it should have been at the wedding scene in Crystal Skull. I know that things have changed on a meta level, with Ke Huy Quan not only getting back into acting but being super successful...but, still, that was the moment.
1000% agree. I would have forgiven all of KOTCS myriad catastrophic issues if Shorty had shown up in a pew at the end.
As for Helena: she was great! It's very funny to watch the anti-feminist crowd try to wrap themselves around the "they brought in another MARY SUE girl character!" about someone who was very clearly flawed and broken who kept screwing things up until Indy taught her there was more to life than fortune and glory. (Not that any regular ol' person is wrong to dislike her...she is designed to be abrasive and irritating at times. But, well, a certain type of person went into the movie needing to hate her, and their narrative didn't change even when they saw how the story was told.)
Sadly, this is the world we live in. Garbage people having their garbage views, existing in garbage echo chambers that reflect them back.

Sigh.

Yeah, I think in Indy's lost journal there's a letter from Shorty telling him about the Peacock's Eye in 1957.
Hopefully Shorty found it on his own and is living comfortably on a private island somewhere.