What Movies Do You Think Indy Would See in the 50s?

DocWhiskey

James Byrne said:
Yes, but do you walk around all day geared up like Indy Jones? You would certainly be considered out of touch walking around dressed exactly like Brando in THE WILD ONE in 1957. Elvis was the King then.

I wear my Indiana Jones t-shirts on occasion. I use the satchel to carry my school books in. I wear my fedora often during the winter. I wear my Indy jacket all the time. His gear is quite timeless. And looks perfectly normal when not all together.

And Brando didn't invent that look. He was merely dressed as the hipsters at the time. If anything, Brando stole it from the greasers. That hat Mutt wore really brought it all together and made you think of "The Wild One". And he wore it for what? 30 seconds? Spielberg only had him wear it for homage. It is a movie.

Last edited:

James Byrne

Doc
I hope you look better in your Indy gear than I did recreating the Harry Steele look. There are some photos of me on the Facebook SECRET OF THE INCAS site ... take a look why don't ya?
But I warn you ...I could frighten pigs!

Stoo

DocWhiskey said:
And Brando didn't invent that look. He was merely dressed as the hipsters at the time. If anything, Brando stole it from the greasers.
There are a few things wrong with this statement but I won't get into it.:rolleyes:

Other movies Indy might have seen in the '50s:

"Storm Over the Nile"
"Flame Over India" (a.k.a. "North West Frontier")
"Soldiers Three" (a remake of "Gunga Din")
"King of the Khyber Rifles"
"Bengal Brigade"
"The Treasure of Pancho Villa"
"King Kong" (1952 re-release)

Stoo

DocWhiskey said:
Then why say anything?

Do get into it.

Teach me, boss.
Because it's slightly off-topic and I was hoping you'd be able to figure it out for yourself, Doc. However, if you insist, it's mostly the choice of words.

1) Brando was an actor and not working in the wardrobe department.
2) "stole it from the greasers." It was a movie about biker gangs so the look wasn't "stolen". That is what was being portrayed.
3) "hipsters at the time". The Wild One came out in 1953. Previous to that, the biker look was not "hip" and didn't really become so until later in the decade. (The term "greaser" came about even later but since that's what they're referred to as today, I won't fault you on that one.:))

FYI, biker gangs originated with wayward, ex-WW2 pilots who would get together and share their need for speed, hence the leather and peaked hats.

Another '50s movie for Indy:
"Pharaoh's Curse"

DocWhiskey

Stoo said:
Because it's slightly off-topic and I was hoping you'd be able to figure it out for yourself, Doc. However, if you insist, it's mostly the choice of words.

1) Brando was an actor and not working in the wardrobe department.
2) "stole it from the greasers." It was a movie about biker gangs so the look wasn't "stolen". That is what was being portrayed.
3) "hipsters at the time". The Wild One came out in 1953. Previous to that, the biker look was not "hip" and didn't really become so until later in the decade. (The term "greaser" came about even later but since that's what they're referred to as today, I won't fault you on that one.:))

FYI, biker gangs originated with wayward, ex-WW2 pilots who would get together and share their need for speed, hence the leather and peaked hats.
Why figure it out for myself when there's you, Stoo? :p

Alright, I get where you're coming from now.

Thanks for the information. It's appreciated :hat:

mattzilla2010

Athenee said:
"Forbidden Planet" was released in 1956, but "Dr. No" wouldn't be released until 1961 ("...maybe that Connery fella is some distant relative of Dad's...)

Well, actually Dr. No was '62. Didn't get to the U.S. till 1963. You were really close though! ;)