What would Indy pack in his Mark VII bag?

Indy Byrd

What do you think Indy would pack in his shoulder bag when he went out in the field? We all know he carried ammo for his gun and his back-up gun in it, but what else would Indy have carried in it? What do you carry in yours when you go out in the field and carry your gear?

HellofaSandwich

The full contents of Indy's MK VII bag (from an unpublished making-of book from the late '90s): one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pairs of nylon stockings.

Dr. Wolfwood

Sounds like a very unofficial "making of" book! :D

Some of the stuff makes sense, but others are just ludicrous. In fact, a Mark VII bag would not even hold half of that and still look as slim as it does on Indy.

HellofaSandwich

I'm pretty sure it was official, but it was canned (along with the Field Guide -- remember that one?) because Lucasfilm deemed that the market was poor for Indy books at the time.

I think all that stuff could fit in there with some clever packing.

|ZiR|

HellofaSandwich said:
The full contents of Indy's MK VII bag (from an unpublished making-of book from the late '90s): one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pairs of nylon stockings.

Wait, what?

Is Dr. Jones hiding a potentially faaaaabulous secret?

Dr. Wolfwood

HellofaSandwich said:
I think all that stuff could fit in there with some clever packing.

Indeed it might - but I would not want to be the one who has to unpack and repack the bag every time I wanted to take something from the bottom of it... I use my Mark VII as an everyday bag and although I can pack a lot of stuff into it when necessary, it is a bother to try to dig out something that's buried in the bottom...

Besides, in Temple of Doom the bag didn't seem to hold much besides the Sankara stone when it burned through...

Oh, and about the bible: Indy has not been shown as an overly religious person, so it would be really surprising if he carried a bible along wherever he went to.

PloKoon

|ZiR| said:
Wait, what?

Is Dr. Jones hiding a potentially faaaaabulous secret?

I laughed at that, but seriously, it's not for him silly, it's for the girls he uhh, ahem....(y)

:whip:

Leiter91

Well in Great Britain, and eventually in the United States when WWII broke out, materials like Nylon and silk were rationed for the war effort, and were very hard to come by, making women desperate to get their hands on them....u can use your imagination...that or he fills the stockings full of gunpowder and ball bearings. Uses the lipstick to write on ancient carvings/texts/stuff since it comes off easy...just speculating

Dr. Wolfwood

twlightzone1205 said:
Maybe he carried a bible for research considering most of the relics he found. However, I'm sure it wasn't the bible seen in Raiders.

Thought of that as well after I had written my message above. Indeed, given that two of his main quests have been centered around Christian relics, a bible might be a handy thing to have. Although, if needed, bibles and other holy books can be found in most hotels, bookshops and libraries in any case, so lugging it along all the time would not really be necessary...

Leiter91

Haha...I remembered something from my days at the search and rescue academy...Wearing Nylon stockings underneath your socks will help prevent blisters...That could be why
God...Sounds like Indy could get some serious addictions "morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills..."

Stoo

Leiter91 said:
that or he fills the stockings full of gunpowder and ball bearings. Uses the lipstick to write on ancient carvings/texts/stuff since it comes off easy...just speculating
Very astute speculation. In the Prague episode of the "Chronicles", Indy makes a bola from 3 oranges and a pair of pantyhose.
Lipstick could be used as a wax substitute to make rubbings of engravings. The chewing gum would have multiple purposes and
...the prophylactic would most likely be sheepskin.:p

P.S. I know pantyhose didn't exist back then and it was stockings but a bit of alliteration is always enjoyable.

Last edited:
Ye all know thats a Dr. Stangelove Reference right? Emergency bomber survival kit, to a tee. I tend to carry my camera, diary, pencil case, a book ( or guide book when I'm traveling), map and compass (again while traveling). Though I find it starts to hurt the shoulder a bit. In fact, I don;t think a fully loaded Mark VIIs a good idea for one back.. Well, I have a fake one now, but I had a real one for a while, much better, tougher, better weight distribution, lost it though, so back to my fake internet orderd flimsy one.