Where was the whip?

Darth Vile

Saber79 said:
One scene I loved from the book is when Indy decided to take the whip out of "retirment" by taking it off the shelf and giving it a really hard snap, realizing that this is who he is....another excellent scene that would have been great for the movie...

Was it in the book? I would have loved that too. :)

cole said:
Here's a question........what do you think are the best Indy "whip-usages?"
I think you are right. In the scheme of things, Indy doesn't use it that much. But it's what he does with it that counts. ;)
My overall favourite use of it would have to be in TOD, and the swing from the light fitting between the overhead gantry walkways (during the mine fight scene). Loved that moment back in 1984, still love it now.

Udvarnoky

Saber79 said:
Let's not get started on the lack of the gun...really it was for show I guess.

Yeah when it comes to nitpicky things like this the gun bothered me way more than the whip in Indy4, which saw a decent amount of usage. Indiana Jones not firing his gun throughout the whole movie, on the other hand, felt a little wrong. I mean, we've gotta hear that over-the-top Ben Burtt revolver sound once! It's not as signature an accessory as his whip, but it is nonetheless very much an irremovable Indy feature. Whether intentional or not, I think its neglect contributes to the perceived lack of tooth (at least relative to the other movies) for some people.

Darth Vile said:
Was it in the book? I would have loved that too. :)

I believe the part where he takes the Indy Gear out of the closet just before the map-tracing sequence was in the script, intended by Koepp to be the big "Indy's back" moment. I think in another thread it was speculated that it was removed because of that great shot of Indy swiping his fedora off the ground and putting it on in silhouette against the car when he's thrown out the trunk, which Spielberg invented on-set and essentially takes the place of the closet visual in spirit.

Darth Vile said:
My overall favourite use of it would have to be in TOD, and the swing from the light fitting between the overhead gantry walkways (during the mine fight scene). Loved that moment back in 1984, still love it now.

Probably agree.

Last edited:

mattzilla2010

I thought the amount of whippin' was fine in the movie, especially (as many others have stated) in the epic warehouse swing on the lamp.

What did disappoint me however, was the lack of THIS: :gun: Again, as many others have stated.

IndyJr

They could've used abit more with the gun situation
gun.gif

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
I believe the part where he takes the Indy Gear out of the closet just before the map-tracing sequence was in the script, intended by Koepp to be the big "Indy's back" moment. I think in another thread it was speculated that it was removed because of that great shot of Indy swiping his fedora off the ground and putting it on in silhouette against the car when he's thrown out the trunk, which Spielberg invented on-set and essentially takes the place of the closet visual in spirit.

Yep - I can live without seeing Indy pack his case a la Raiders, but I think the bit where he apparently cracked his whip would have been really fitting and nice to see (back on the horse type thing). Not sure if it was ever written/shot like that, or just fanciful thinking on a fans part... ;)