Why are they such classics?

Jooones!

Why are the Indiana Jones movies (and SW-OT) such classics? Hasnt come anything better I wonder. Maybe people under 30 could answer...cause I myself am biased probably..being of that generation and all that. but seriously those movies are old and the SFX are quite dated, but they are still so popluar...why do you like them..? ;)

Major West

Are they dated? They are all set in the past and were set in the past when they were made. I think they are timeless and the effects aren't that bad at all.

Lon

They are made for mainstream audiences. The mix different genres successfully.

The previous poster is right in that the Indy films are set long ago so they aren't dated. Star Wars is the same way. It's set in another galaxy "a long time ago..."

Obviously if they sucked they wouldn't be classics.

Has anyone honestly know anyone who hates Raiders of the Lost Ark. Sure Temple of Doom and Last Crusade have their critics but Raiders seems universally liked.

Jooones!

Major West said:
Are they dated? They are all set in the past and were set in the past when they were made. I think they are timeless and the effects aren't that bad at all.
Well maybe you didnt recognize my ironic undertone there but *I* dont think they are dated (yet I was born in the first half of the 70s)...but to be fair: the FX are dated on the Indy movies in some scenes at least: mine car chase BG etc (btw: the models/ships in SW OT are still better than all the CGI in my opinion- check the corvette in epI that was a model- the best ship in that film)...yet what I originally also wanted to say with this post was what you seem to imply as well: isnt the story-telling just unparalleled?- is THAT what makes them so damn great...? (well, my theory at least)

Jooones!

Lon said:
They are made for mainstream audiences. The mix different genres successfully.

The previous poster is right in that the Indy films are set long ago so they aren't dated. Star Wars is the same way. It's set in another galaxy "a long time ago..."

Obviously if they sucked they wouldn't be classics.

Has anyone honestly know anyone who hates Raiders of the Lost Ark. Sure Temple of Doom and Last Crusade have their critics but Raiders seems universally liked.
Also some good points there Lon. Only one point: the fact that a movie is set "long ago", in the past, doesnt mean that its good or anything, SW could as well be set in the far future and wouldnt loose any of its appeal (to me at least)...so maybe its the story or something, Id think..good stories are timeless after all...:D

Last edited:

No Ticket

Well, I like them because of the characters in them. Darth Vader is the ultimate cool bad guy - he looks cool, sounds cool and is menacing. Han Solo is a cocky badass pilot and the Millennium Falcon looks very cool as well. C-3PO and R2 are kind of funny together, Luke is the least interesting but his story is something you can relate to.

Space battles are cool... and the effects used on Star Wars, ESB and ROTJ are, even before the "special editions" good enough to not take you out of the story even today. Lightsabers were a great idea and the sound effects used on them make them even more menacing and add to the drama of a saber duel/fight... plus their glow in ESB makes it all the more cooler.

You care about the characters, you want to see what happens next. The force is this mystical thing you hear about that makes it even more intriguing... it's an adventure story... YOU want to be IN on the ADVENTURE. And the movie makes you feel like you were a part of it.

Indiana Jones in not really any different from Star Wars. Lucas took the idea of taking space serials from the past and making Star Wars and then just turned towards the adventure themed serials.

It's the same basic formula. An adventure with characters you care about. It doesn't hurt that the art department on both movies nailed the look and feel. Indiana Jones' costume is perfect and looks great, especially on Harrison. Star Wars' ships, planets, aliens, weapons, etc. all look really great. Darth Vader's design was also pretty much perfect.

... in short, it's not one, but many things that came together to make the movies what they are.

Misha

Personally I belong to the 'older' crowd :D but I do have several nieces and nephews, of whom some are in their teens, and all of them like all thee Indiana Jones movies. They're also all psyched about Indy 4 and lining up to go see it with me.

Be it the storytelling, the adventure, the characters ( only a few of the reasons I like them :p ) I don't know.

I'll ask next time I say them.

Major West

Why are they classics. Because they are directed by a master filmmaker. There have been many Indy knock offs over the years and none of them have commanded the same level of quality, because they were lesser crafted products. The reasons if we are to try and list the ingredients, Harrison Ford, Steven Spielberg directing, John Williams amazing music. The perfect balance of story, adventure and thrills etc.

kongisking

Even though the Indy films are 30,000+times-better than the SW saga combined, I think SW is classic because:

1: It made an undeniable effect on Hollywood, and blockbusters have never been the same since.
2. The special effects are absolutely incredible. I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E! And don't forget John Williams Einstein-genius score and Darth Vader, possibly the most famous villain of all times (besides Satan).
3. One hell of a cool story, the lightsaber, wonderful actors (prequels not included), awesome alien creatures and spaceships, the lightsaber, a despicable character in Palpatine, the lightsaber, Boba Fett...and did I mention the Lightsaber?

Yes I am in love with lightsabers. Throw one in a movie and I will be happy.

Now Indy is classic because:

1. The good ol' spirit of adventure and delightful action sequences beside an intriguing story.
2. Terrific acting from all parties (go soak your panties, Capshaw haters!), fall-down-and-can't-get-up-funny humor, and by far the coolest adventure hero ever to exist in a movie.
3. Steven Spielberg as director. 'Nuff said. :whip:

Jooones!

I think the witty dialogues in combination with the character interplay are also very important: e.g. look at the Death Star scenes in ANH, and the conversations between Luke Han Leia or the dialouge between Indy and Marion and then compare that to the new SW films...I think (though I somehow like the new SW too for its cool designs/ geek value etc), that it comes out pretty shallow and boring, one cant deny it. Lucas+Spielberg together is a good formula, so one can still hope...

Dr.Sartorius

I wouldn't call the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies "old movies". If those are "old" movies does that make Citizen Kane an ancient relic? I think these two trilogies have held up very well over the years despite a few exceptions.

Shortie

Jooones! said:
Why are the Indiana Jones movies (and SW-OT) such classics? Hasnt come anything better I wonder. Maybe people under 30 could answer...cause I myself am biased probably..being of that generation and all that. but seriously those movies are old and the SFX are quite dated, but they are still so popluar...why do you like them..? ;)
The movies are classics because of the great scores, characters, stories & SFX(which IMO is beleivable). I personally think the Die Hard movies, Back to the Future movies & Jurrasic Park ar considered classics too.

kongisking

Shortie said:
The movies are classics because of the great scores, characters, stories & SFX(which IMO is beleivable). I personally think the Die Hard movies, Back to the Future movies & Jurrasic Park ar considered classics too.

Correcto, little guy. "Holy Shmoke! Cwash landing!" :D

arkfinder

Because they are well made films that have stood the test of time. They have such a huge fan base that the fans won't let them die. If you watched the lastest film from the comic-con thing you heard the music start and the absolute crowd deafing roar from the fans.