Young Indy's Fedora

Gobi-1

Has anyone notice that the fedora Sean Patrick Flannery wears is sometimes limpy with the brim turned down? It just doesn't look as sharp as Harrison's fedora. Young Indy's fedora looks like it's just been splashed with water and hasn't retained it's shape. The only thing I can thing of was that they made it slightly too big so Young Indy could grow into it, which might work for Indy at 16 but is rather silly when you get to the later episodes where Indy is 20 to 21 years old.

Sometimes the Fedora looks good and a lot of times it does not.

It doesn't distract from the great quality of the show but it is annoying.

NoCamels

Also, by the last episode, his hat band especially is really ratty. Maybe they only had 1 or 2 hats in the wardrobe for the whole show. (I always wondered if Sean Patrick Flanery got to keep a hat/wanted to keep a hat too. :) )

Crack that whip

I'm inclined to think he just experimented both with different actual fedoras (we already know he must go through a ton of them anyway - does he belong to a Lid-of-the-Month club, or what?) as well as different ways of wearing them (different blocking, turn, angle, etc.). I think it'd be pretty unusual if he didn't tweak the look of his headgear over the years. I know I go through phases in my own dress when I tend to wear a lot of the same looks over a period, then adopt new ones while discarding old ones, etc.

That said, to my eye he seems to have done some early experimentation around the time he met Vicky Prentiss with what will later become his signature look. Often in "London, May 1916" the hat looks more like the movie hat, it seems to me. Aside from that one instance, he seems to have had a penchant for having the bash in such a way that the crown is quite a bit higher above the brim in the back than in the front, but obviously he permanently abandoned this look in favor of the London experiment sometime in the '20s or early 30s.

Perhaps he was reflecting on his greatest pre-Marion romance one day (IMHO) and had an epiphany about the optimal way to wear a hat to draw the ladies. "Chicks come a-runnin' for a dude in snazzy headgear with the crown blocked just so," he thought to himself...

Last edited:

NoCamels

Crack that whip said:
... had an epiphany about the optimal way to wear a hat to draw the ladies. "Chicks come a-runnin' for a dude in snazzy headgear with the crown blocked just so," he thought to himself...

LOL! (y)

(Ok, how does this not count as 10 characters??)

Stoo

Gobi-1 said:
It doesn't distract from the great quality of the show but it is annoying.
I actually like the fact that it looks sloppy as it exemplifies his youth & inexperience.
However, the hat that was used for the linking segment of "Spring Break Adventure"
is an absolute ABMONATION!:sick: What the heck happened there?!? It's a different style!

Crack that whip said:
I'm inclined to think he just experimented both with different actual fedoras (we already know he must go through a ton of them anyway - does he belong to a Lid-of-the-Month club, or what?) as well as different ways of wearing them (different blocking, turn, angle, etc.).

Perhaps he was reflecting on his greatest pre-Marion romance one day (IMHO) and had an epiphany about the optimal way to wear a hat to draw the ladies. "Chicks come a-runnin' for a dude in snazzy headgear with the crown blocked just so," he thought to himself...
Ever since the show finished, I've been doing my own Young Indy marathons over the years and I began to notice
that he never actually loses his hat! The craziest instance is in "Hawkmen" where he switches into a German uniform.
At the very end, during the rendez-vous with the plane, he literally pulls it out of his a**! (...and it's in fine shape.)

In any case, he must have more than one because sometimes you can see inside the hat and it's not always the same.
For instance, in Barcelona, you can see the Herbert Johnson logo but for other episodes, it's different.

Agreed, though, it looks sharp in London, 1916 and it comes close to CLASSIC in Istanbul!:whip:

tupogirl

I thought the London hat looked different from the Mexico hat. A bit more dapper and dressier.

Ya know, when I first watched the show (and hadn't seen the movies), I knew about the hat. And some of the war episodes were a little bit weird, because he doesn't have it.

I've always liked to think that its simply the hat he got of Fedora in Crusade, which got so worn out from the trenches of Europe and everything else, that it got completely worn down, til he bought a new one after college, at least I read that in a timeline somewhere.

I've had a number of Fedoras myself, one I forgot in a bookshop after 4 years, the second was stolen from me in a night club I never meant to wear it to, and my current I've had for 6 years, its been to the middle east, all over europe, and through South east Asian monsoons, its hanging on my coat hook down the hall from wear I'm sitting, its got a growing in the centre of the pinch, its completely bent out of shape, slightly shrunken and the interior looks like hell... sorta like Indy's hat by the end of the Chronicles (Doesn't exactly explain what happened in Spring Break adventure though):hat:

phantom train

Jeremiah Jones said:
I've always liked to think that its simply the hat he got of Fedora in Crusade, which got so worn out from the trenches of Europe and everything else, that it got completely worn down, til he bought a new one after college, at least I read that in a timeline somewhere.QUOTE]

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Seeing the fedora clean and crisp throughout the series wouldn't make sense, considering that Indy has been through numerous adventures including a World War, etc.
Of course, as others have said, the "real world" explanation for the changeability of the fedora would be that they used different ones throughout the series :D

Twilightpro101

It always seemed to be in constant flux. I think part of it was the fact, that the production team changed over at various points.

hat

has anyone noticed in the episode ''spring break adventure" when indy is going on his camping trip he looks diferent. the actor looks like a weird sean patrick flannery. it does'nt look like the same person. but then once they get to the town he looks normal

tupogirl

oliverjones18 said:
has anyone noticed in the episode ''spring break adventure" when indy is going on his camping trip he looks diferent. the actor looks like a weird sean patrick flannery. it does'nt look like the same person. but then once they get to the town he looks normal

Well the second half of Spring Break Adventure was originally paired with the episode when he first goes to Egypt and meets Lawrence. When they decided to only do movies, they went back and filmed some bridging sequences. That is why there are some age discrepancies.