Zulu

A

Aussie Jones

Has anyone else seen Zulu? For me, it was almost as good as Raiders.

Kate

My dad is real into this movie and made me and my brother watch it when we were little, and I never liked it much. I guess I never understood what either side was fighting for. That, and other movies like it, such as "Khartoum" and "Gunga Din" have never really appealed to me, but I suppose I am in the minority since these movies do have quite a following.

Kill Cavalry

Am I the only person on earth who liked this film? The Anglo-Zulu wars is a rather specific topic, a rather small war that was rather one sided (after the initial slaughters at Isandlawhana and elsewhere) it's also a very distinct conflict that garnered the attention of several films. Pith helmets, bright red uniforms, Martini-Henry rifles, cowhide shields...it's an amazing atmosphere, and "Zulu" shows what can be done with it.
"Men of Harlech, stop your dreaming, can't you see their spearpoints gleaming?"

roundshort

Huge fan of the movie and the history. I used to use Isandlawhana and Rourke's Drift in my hostroy classes. Grea topic of study, and these were some bad asses, on both sides!

Stoo

Anniversary Bump

roundshort said:
Huge fan of the movie and the history.
Same here, roundshort!:) Around 1989/90, I became obsessed with the campaign because of this movie and, over the years, have accumulated a large collection of books, magazines, films & documentaries on the subject. I have 2 helmets, a red tunic and even became a member of the Victorian Military Society based in London. A battlefield tour in South Africa is something I really want to do (and was actually planning one in '07 but my tour guide of choice, David Rattray, was shockingly murdered by thieves.:() Have you ever been there in your travels? After all, South Africa does make good wine!

A few years ago in London, I bought the UK 2-DVD Special Edition of "Zulu". The bonus stuff includes making-of features with footage on the set that Stanley Baker shot with his own 16mm camera. Worth owning/seeing if you're a fan of the film.

In 2009, I bought the amazing book, "Zulu: With Some Guts Behind It, The Making of an Epic Movie", by Sheldon Hall (who is also co-commentator on the Special Edition DVD). The 2005 book is meticulously researched and crammed with information but is now out of print. Copies have been selling for exorbitant amounts. Believe it or not, there is a mint edition selling right now for £1,762 ($2,921 U.S.)!:eek: I only paid £16 ($26 U.S.)!(y)

Years ago, my sister got me the official John Barry soundtrack on CD, which is fantastic. It comes with a small booklet.

On my want-list are the outtakes from the prequel, "Zulu Dawn". Still on the hunt for those.

---
Now, while I always knew this thread was here, I've refrained from posting in it. However…

Today is the 135th anniversary of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift. Tonight I'll be watching in widescreen, "Zulu Dawn" and "Zulu", back-to-back with the volume up really loud (even LOUDER when the Zulus sing). If you have both films, try it sometime. The 1979 movie leads seamlessly into the 1964 one.

Below is one of my favourite paintings of Rorke's Drift, by the great Alphonse de Neuville.

uSuthu!

defence-rorkes-drift-560.jpg

Last edited:

Stoo

Forgot to mention yesterday that it was also the 50th anniversary of the film's premiere in the UK.

I also just found out that a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack of "Zulu Dawn" came out in 2013. The bonus material has some of those outtakes and deleted scenes!:)

Stoo

:) The dog could be one of a few but I think it's supposed to be either:

- Surgeon Reynolds' pet (he is right beside it, treating the wounded man)
- Flip, an officer's dog who survived that morning's disaster at Isandlwana and fled to Rorke's Drift.

AndyLGR

It seems to me that its one of those films thats a rite of passage for a certain generation, a film that your dad gets you to watch along with The Italian Job, Jaws, John Wayne westerns, John Mills war movies movies etc

As a child watching it I became fascinated with the history of it. I found the zulus terrifying. Its very atmospheric and one can only imagine the horror of what it was actually like to be facing those warriors, seemingly outnumbered. Its got your usual stiff upper lip British performances that are typical of many war films from that era. But its an absolute classic in my opinion. In fact I'm quite surprised that some people aren't aware of what it is.

Stoo

AndyLGR said:
its an absolute classic
Too right, mate.(y)

Last week was a special, red-carpet screening at the Odeon in Leicester Square, London to commemorate the film's 50th anniversary. Prince Harry was there, as well as Prince Buthelezi (who played his great-grandad, King Cetshwayo, in the movie)! A group of Welsh Guards sang "Men of Harlech" , the director's daughter spoke and there was pre-recorded message from Michael Caine!

Man, I wish I could've been there, too.:(

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.ph...TENDS-THE-ROYAL-GALA-SCREENING-IN-LONDON.html