Batman Begins

Webley

QueZTone said:
WOW i just checked out that Grayson trailer and I must say, im more anticipating that movie than the Batman Begins movie! :D It's AWESOME!!!
How long did ti take you to download the Grayson trailer.
The trailer is the movie.

QueZTone

Webley said:
How long did ti take you to download the Grayson trailer.
The trailer is the movie.

LOL that is the movie?? But it says "Out in theatres all over the world soon" or smth :) now im confused :D

(how long it took to download isn't really a meassurement (im on 100mbit) but the file is about 140mb)

Webley

Do the Batman fans on this message board think that Ra's Al Ghul is a good pick for the bad guy in this new movie?
I would have like to have see Marilyn Manson as the The Scarecrow.

Raffey

Scarecrow? Sure! Love to see him.

Marilyn Manson....I'll pass. He doesn't creep me out. He just looks gay. Who really wants to see an intimidating hero like Batman go up against a sissy. :p

Somehow it just don't seem right. Too bad the Joker was used by the 'other' Batman movie. He's my fav!

Deadlock

Yeah, I wish they'd take more of a conservative approach with the villains (more like the X-Men movies). Just have Batman lock them away in Arkham instead of killing them outright.

Johan

Raffey said:
Scarecrow? Sure! Love to see him.

Marilyn Manson....I'll pass. He doesn't creep me out. He just looks gay. Who really wants to see an intimidating hero like Batman go up against a sissy. :p

Somehow it just don't seem right. Too bad the Joker was used by the 'other' Batman movie. He's my fav!

Jack Nicholson was amazing for that part!

Paden

I thought I might ask the impressions, positive or negative, of some of those that post here regarding this film. I have to confess that I?ve found the onslaught of comic book movies over the last few years somewhat overwhelming. It seems, especially since the success of the original Spider-Man movie, that there has been an ongoing push to get every available comic book hero (especially those belonging to the Marvel pantheon) up on the big screen. Several of those films have been quite forgettable. A few have been very enjoyable (personally, I enjoyed both Spider-Man movies and X2). Still, in the deluge of superhero movies its been difficult for me, especially recently, to become very enthused about those that are upcoming. For instance, I have nothing against the Fantastic Four, but nothing I?ve seen thus far makes me feel compelled to go see the movie.

I wasn?t surprised to learn, in the midst of Marvel?s ongoing screen efforts, that DC was trying to revive its Superman and Batman movie franchises. I was cautiously intrigued when I learned that the upcoming Batman film would deal directly with the character?s origins. I have to confess that the Batman character is one of my favorite comic book heroes. As a teenager, I read my share of Batman comics, and particularly admired Frank Miller?s ?The Dark Knight Returns?. Personally, the Batman movies have been a mixed bag, more negative than positive. I enjoy the original movie. I felt that Keaton did a reasonable job portraying Bruce Wayne, and Nicholson?s Joker was a scene-stealer. The strong visual style that Burton brought to the movie was quite appropriate to the dark environment of Gotham City. The sequel, Batman Returns, bordered on being too?grotesque. While I like my films dark, the darkness in the second film seemed over-the-top, especially with regard to the depiction of the two villains. I didn?t care for either of the Schumacher movies. Both seemed excessively campy to me and were hindered by performances that were either wooden or that chewed up all the available scenery.

Perhaps the element that has encouraged me most about the new film has been director Christopher Nolan?s indication that he wanted to focus on the psychology of Bruce Wayne. One thing that has always personally intrigued me about the character is that in a world of super powered heroes, Batman is devoid of any unusual powers, set apart by his training, ingenuity, and strength of will. The character?s drive for justice and psychological pain appear to be what Nolan is focusing on. Nolan?s visual style is strong (ex: ?Memento?) and the trailers depict an urban Gotham that is appropriately foreboding. Nolan certainly has a capable cast, and the use of Christian Bale in the lead, an actor that can effectively portray emotional darkness, is promising. So, yeah, I?m probably going to see it this weekend. (Forget the opening night madness.) I?m hopeful that it will be a good experience, although I?m prepared to leave the theatre completely disappointed, as I have with other films in the series. Just curious if anyone else had any thoughts on the subject.

Deadlock

I thought bumping this thread would be appropriate as Batman Begins hits the DVD racks today. (I for one will be picking it up after work. :))

I was very impressed by this film. As a fan of the cartoon, and a dabbler in the comics (I was pleased to see the Batman: Year One elements), I know enough about Batman to think that none of the previous films really brought the Dark Knight to big screen as he is portrayed on the small screen or in the comics.

Though I agree the first Batman film was the best so far, I?m happy to see the theatrically gothic sets from Tim Burton?s films go (which were nowhere near as bad as the bizarre and cheesy trappings of Joel Schumacher?s sequels). I really like the gritty realism with only a few carefully placed fantastic elements (the funky ?El? and Arkham Asylum).

Besides the setting, Batman Begins is the first movie to truly portray the complicated character that is Bruce Wayne. In the other films, Bruce Wayne is an underdeveloped second-fiddle to Batman, a soulless cliché in a tuxedo. Obviously, in a film that shows the origin of Batman, we have to first begin with Bruce Wayne. Christian Bale handles this task with grim believability. He charts a course through fear, loss, anger, confusion, and finally into action. Thankfully, Nolan doesn?t rush Bruce?s transformation into the Dark Knight. Christian Bale?s journey is one of small steps; it doesn?t require any big leaps of faith on the part of the audience. In addition to the development of the Batman alter ego, Bruce truly creates another: Bruce Wayne. Bruce is truly a driven and thoughtful man with a dark past, but to keep up appearances, he needs to seem to be a billionaire airhead. Bale also handles this extremely well. These ironic moments are quite funny, and really help break up a very dark film.

In addition to the character of Bruce Wayne, Batman Begins fleshes out several other of Batman?s allies: Alfred, Jim Gordon, and Lucius Fox. These characters are invaluable in progressing the film and in rounding out the character of Batman. In the previous films, I felt that there wasn?t enough of a cast for Bruce/Batman to interact with, which always left him feeling a bit flat. Finally, the villains: Ra's Al Ghul and Dr. Jonathan Crane. I was so relieved that Batman Begins decided to take a break from the villains seen thus far in Batman films. With the exception of the Joker, all of the villains were played WAY too over the top. They couldn?t exist on any level besides cackling psychopaths. A quieter, intimidating villain? Not until now.

The overall theme of fear was really fantastic and brought the hero and the villains together in a way that I thought very compelling, and went well beyond the action movie status quo motivations.

All that said, Batman Begins isn?t perfect. Though the movie stays away from a lot of senseless gadgetry that plagued the other movies, some of the Batmobile scenes are a little gimmicky. Christian Bale?s ?Batman voice? is little uneven. In some scenes, it?s perfect: dark, intimidating, and totally in control. In others, he?s straining too much. The mustache-twirling villain?s exposition at the end was a little windy for my taste. Finally, the weakest link: the love interest. I didn?t think it was really necessary. Katie Holmes was decent, but bland. (Though in all honesty, she got several of the clunkiest bits of dialogue, and that's not her fault.)

roundshort

I was really disappointed in Batman Begins, my 13 year old niece loved so, the movie hit its mark I guess. I have said this before and i will say it aagain

I AM SO SICK OF THE SUPER HIDDEN NINJA SCHOOL THAT TAKES YEARS TO MAKE INDESTRUCATBLE WARRIORS, THAT THE BEST STUDENT CAN CUT THROUGHT HE RANKS FO THE OTHER SUPER NINJAS!

God, go see Kill Bill, they at least had a one of one student teacher relationship. Is this the only way to make a "professional hitman" I want to see some punk on the street who is just a psycho with a 45 that just blows peoples heads off without being a Navy S.E.A.L., of Ninja or some other thing.

Really did not dig batman begins, and thought the movies did after Tim Burton left.

IndyBuff

I really enjoyed Batman Begins. I'm not a big Batman fan but after hearing all the positive comments about the film I decided to see it and was quite impressed. I don't think that I'll be buying the DVD but the film was still great and for someone like me who knows little or nothing about Batman it told a great story. It wasn't perfect in every area but it was very well done nevertheless.

indifan101

I'm sorry but I hated this one! I wanted to wwalk out on it! Even my friends didn't like it! The only movies I liked were Star Wars episode 3 and War of the Worlds! Cinderella Man was also a wonderful film this year!:D

Paden

It seems that Batman Begins has invoked some pretty strong responses in moviegoers. Most seem to fall in one extreme or the other: they loved it or hated it. I fall squarely in the former camp, feeling that Begins is the best screen treatment that the character has had to date. One reason the film is so effective is one of the elements Deadlock discussed: the treatment of Bruce Wayne. In the other Batman films, Wayne primarily came across as Batman's convenient billionaire cover (his day job, as it were). We knew that Wayne had chosen to become Batman because of the crime that took his parents' life, but the scripts never delved deeply into this motivation. It almost came across as more of an excuse for Batman's existence. One of the primary strengths of Begins is that it presents a clear portrait of Bruce Wayne and his experiences, and ultimately how his life shaped his choice to become Batman. Rather than seeing Batman and Wayne as separate and distinct, the audience sees the character as an integrated whole. Overall, I thought that Bale's performance was very good, although I agree that the voice he utilized for Batman was, on a few turns, a bit melodramatic. I also enjoyed the performances of the supporting cast, particularly Caine, Oldman, and Freeman. The supporting players helped to capture the idea from the comics that Batman's quest is ultimately one that is made possible by the efforts of many. Gordon's run in the batmobile was, for me, one of the funniest sequences in the movie, while not undoing the suspense of Batman's battle with Ra's. The script was very well constructed. I appreciated the way that it tied all of the introduced elements neatly together. I also liked the fact that the movie bucked the trend amongst other superhero films, and left the Scarecrow alive.

My only other criticism of Begins is really a minor quibble: the construction of some of the fight scenes. On one hand, I appreciated the overall effect of how they were put together, as they captured the concept of Batman being this fearful presence that strikes suddenly out of the dark. (The scene where Batman takes down Falcone's men at the warehouse was especially effective.) Still, the fight scenes occasionally became so frenetic that I couldn't keep up with what was occuring, even on a second viewing. But, as stated, this is a minor complaint. I really liked Begins overall, and enjoyed it more than any previous Batman movie. I'm eager to see what Nolan and company will do in the sequel. Nolan's take on the The Joker should be pretty interesting to watch.

HovitosKing

Batman Begins 3 villain

I know it's too early for this, but Christian Bale said in an interview the other day that he'd definitely do another Batman film if the current crew were up for it. I've been thinking about this ever since, and wanted to fish for opinions here too. If Bale and crew do return for another Batman film, who would you want to see as the major villain?

Personally, I'd like to see the Riddler done really well, even though he's been done before. No combo of baddies though, just the Riddler.

Niteshade007

Catwoman, definitely! I love the previous interpretations of her, Julie Newmar, Eartha Kitt, even Lee Meriwether in her one time stint as Catwoman, were all great. And Michelle Pfieffer's Catwoman was the only thing that made Batman Returns enjoyable for me. I would like to see her on the big screen again.

There was a rumor that Philip Seymour Hoffman was considered to play The Penguin. I think he'd be great, but he would seem out of place with the other villains. He was more of a monster-type villain, like Croc. Previous villains were more normal people who had just turned bad, like Scarecrow, Ra's Al Ghul, The Joker, and presumably Two-Face at the end of this film.

I was never a big fan of the Riddler, so I won't be too upset if we don't see him again.