Crystal Skull hatred knows no bounds

JP Jones

Montana Smith said:
Dr.Jonesy, I think that what Attila is referring to is that there are other more constructive ways of arguing your love, hate or indifference to something.
Uh, yeah, tell that to RA. The only way he can EVER argue his love or hate is by going after a specific person and calling them names like a little toddler. That by definition is far more childish than standing up for someone who's been put down. For instance, I'll simplify the argument in question.

Here's how it went-
Cole: I don't like when people hate it, but oh
RA: Cole, you suck, you really really suck. God, you need help.

You see what happened? An insult directed specifically at Cole, and for no reason at all. Are you mods afraid of RA or something? You never seem to use your authority in these instances. This is crazy. Cole and Kong, applause for standing up to this stupid jerk.

Last edited:
JP Jones said:
Uh, yeah, tell that to RA. The only way he can EVER argue his love or hate is by going after a specific person and calling them names like a little toddler. That by definition is far more childish than standing up for someone who's been put down. For instance, I'll simplify the argument in question.

Here's how it went-

You see what happened? An insult directed specifically at Cole, and for no reason at all. Are you mods afraid of RA or something? You never seem to use your authority in these instances. This is crazy. Cole and Kong, applause for standing up to this stupid jerk.

Awww, I love you bud! :hat:

Montana Smith

JP Jones said:

Here's how it went-

When these situations get personal, they only escalate. Nobody wins. It's best not to bite, but find an alternative route. When RA lobs in the hand grenade, try replacing the pin before it's too late! ;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JP Jones said:
Uh, yeah, tell that to RA.

I did. Same time as Cole was told. ResidentAlien insulted Cole. Cole insulted ResidentAlien. Plenty of provocation to go around. That's pretty clear. It's not as though we've got a points system - nobody's going to get kicked out because of this. And our job isn't apportioning out blame, it's snuffing out problems when they arise. Call it weak-willed even-handedness if you like, but it's the way we do things.

I'll go on record as saying that they both have valuable thoughts to share, but also have a tendency to get too fervent in their expressions of said thoughts. Kongisking, to his credit, avoided that tendency in this instance, and I admit fault insofar as I was too quick, in my phrasing, to group him with the other two.

Frankly, this could have ended at any time by anyone being the bigger man and standing down. You're never going to agree on this subject - you've both made that <I>quite</I> clear, in this particular discussion and elsewhere - so why even have the conversation?

I didn't think I had to say it the first time, but I will now: that's the end of this little detour. Now, please, would you all find your ways back to the topic at hand?

Edited to add: Oh, and if you do have any further concerns, there are, as always, both the private messaging system and this thread. There's also Montana Smith's words of wisdom, seen above.

Last edited:

kongisking

Attila the Professor said:
I didn't think I had to say it the first time, but I will now: that's the end of this little detour. Now, please, would you all find your ways back to the topic at hand?

I'll do just that.

Here's another treasure (actually, treasures) that would be interesting to see Indy go after:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Treasures

Or, perhaps, this one. Personally, I think this one sounds cooler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_teeth_(mythology)

Dr.Jonesy

What if Indy had to retrieve the Staff of Moses in order to part the ocean to expose a submerged Atlantis? And perhaps Atlantis would be under the Bermuda Triangle?

That wouldn't be a bad way to tie in those mythologies...?:confused:

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
I'll do just that.

Here's another treasure (actually, treasures) that would be interesting to see Indy go after:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Treasures

Or, perhaps, this one. Personally, I think this one sounds cooler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_teeth_(mythology)

Dr.Jonesy said:
What if Indy had to retrieve the Staff of Moses in order to part the ocean to expose a submerged Atlantis? And perhaps Atlantis would be under the Bermuda Triangle?

That wouldn't be a bad way to tie in those mythologies...?

I like the idea of a Celtic artifact, or even a Norse artifact. Something that will take Indy in a new direction. For those that didn't like the ideas in KOTCS it would reasure them that Indy's world is still diverse and mysterious. In order to do that it would be best not to return to Hebrew/Christian themes - just as TOD turned to Kali and Shiva after the Ark.

I've written before that the religion and myth surrounding Indy appears similar to that surrounding Hellboy: many different cultures are represented and co-exist. If he were to awaken the powers of Celtic, Norse or Greek gods it would widen the scope, rather than narrow it. We know from ROTLA, TOD and KOTCS that many 'gods' are vying for power over the earth.

This is going off-topic into Indy V territory, and only has a purpose here in possibly atoning for the hate that some feel towards the ideas in KOTCS (though not the execution).

Sharkey

Seems to me there's very little hatred of the film. Like someone else said it was just disappointing. The hatred I see is mostly a reaction to the loons who dismiss the people who didn't like it.

The thread should be renamed: Hatred of Crystal Skull fans knows no bounds.

Cole

DocWhiskey said:
James Rolfe aka "The Angry Video Game Nerd" posted a video covering his top 10 sequels that aren't as bad as everyone says.

Guess what was number one...

http://www.spike.com/video/cinemassacre-top-10/3423944

Interest starts at 12:55.

Lovers gonna love. Haters gonna hate. I just thought you all would be interested.
Wow......interesting video. Refereshing too - I've been a defender of the likes of the likes of The Lost World, Ghostbusters II, Terminator 3, Spiderman 3 and of course Indy.

In my opinion, it probably could've included The Phantom Menace and Godfather Part III.

Last edited:

teampunk

i am 100 percent sure that if raiders came out today, the same people that ripped kingdom would be ripping raiders. most likely they would complain about the lack of cgi.:cool:

teampunk said:
i am 100 percent sure that if raiders came out today, the same people that ripped kingdom would be ripping raiders. most likely they would complain about the lack of cgi.:cool:

Thank you for your insightful contribution to this discussion.

:rolleyes:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
teampunk said:

There would be those complaints, sure. But I don't think they'd be from the same people.

Forbidden Eye

DocWhiskey said:
James Rolfe aka "The Angry Video Game Nerd" posted a video covering his top 10 sequels that aren't as bad as everyone says.

Guess what was number one...

http://www.spike.com/video/cinemassacre-top-10/3423944

Interest starts at 12:55.

Lovers gonna love. Haters gonna hate. I just thought you all would be interested.

Aw, one of my favorite Kingdom defenders! I applaud his #1 choice and agree(although I personally enjoy Kingdom more than Crusade but that is just me). Frankly he summed it up perfectly.

As for his other choices, I think Back to the Future Part III is a lot better than Part II and do agree Ghostbusters II isn't that bad. Spiderman 3 was terrible though. I would've replaced that with either of the Pirates sequels. I actually am interested in seeing Psycho II now.

Exulted Unicron

I do agree with James there. The so called Haters seem to forget that Indy is based around suspension of disbelief and surviving events that would otherwise kill a normal man.

He survived being lashed to a u-boat for hours, instead of either drowning or being killed by the freezing waters. He survived the mine cart chase in the temple of doom, as well as almost being blasted off the mountain side. As well as jumping a few thousand feet on a raft and sliding down a mountainside, then falling off the side into a raging river. Not to mention in Last Crusade, he survived the tank crash. So what is a nuked fridge to the Indy-verse?...apparently a lot of hated that it doesn't deserve. That annoys me ya know.

"Indy can survive unrealistic sequences like the slalom on mount humol, but the fridge scene is unrealistic"

I also agree with James that aliens do exist in Indy. Not just having the ark ghosts, the whole voodoo and kali aspect in ToD and the grail, we've also had dinosaurs, atlantis, the staff of moses, the spear of destiny and even zombies in Indy's universe. So if there's room for the supernatural, religious artifacts, fantasy and all that, then surely there is room for aliens in Indy.

StoneTriple

Exulted Unicron said:
The so called Haters seem to forget that Indy is based around suspension of disbelief and surviving events that would otherwise kill a normal man.

He survived being lashed to a u-boat for hours, instead of either drowning or being killed by the freezing waters. He survived the mine cart chase in the temple of doom, as well as almost being blasted off the mountain side. As well as jumping a few thousand feet on a raft and sliding down a mountainside, then falling off the side into a raging river. Not to mention in Last Crusade, he survived the tank crash. So what is a nuked fridge to the Indy-verse?...apparently a lot of hated that it doesn't deserve.

Hey EU - don't be coming into a hate discussion with all sorts of truth & intelligence, backed up with examples.
;)