Crystal Skull hatred knows no bounds

Dr.Jonesy

AndyLGR said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKeqD8w2fb0

Funny how people take comfort in the fact that some of the cinema goers at this screening liked the film too. Surely you must be more confident in your own opinions than relying on others to back you up? Does it really matter what others think?

The blonde was funny who said she'd never get the time back. Interesting that Speilbergs sister gets interviewed too.

Hey, I took comfort in watching people praise The Dark Knight, which I wanted to see just as much as Indy. And I loved TDK more than Indy. I don't need to have others love something for me to love it, but it makes me feel great knowing that something I love is also beloved to others.

Cole

Dr.Jonesy said:
Hey, I took comfort in watching people praise The Dark Knight, which I wanted to see just as much as Indy. And I loved TDK more than Indy. I don't need to have others love something for me to love it, but it makes me feel great knowing that something I love is also beloved to others.
Right......it's only natural that you would want a movie that you love to also be well-received.

I won't deny it gets difficult when sometimes it seems like everyone around you hates on the movie - from the internet, to family members and friends, to South Park (Shia's comments didn't help anything)........but oh well, have to let it roll off your back - my belief in the movie is unshakeable. And yes, I realize this sounds like some sort of religion or something.

Cole said:
Right......it's only natural that you would want a movie that you love to also be well-received.

I won't deny it gets difficult when sometimes it seems like everyone around you hates on the movie - from the internet, to family members and friends, to South Park (Shia's comments didn't help anything)........but oh well, have to let it roll off your back - my belief in the movie is unshakeable. And yes, I realize this sounds like some sort of religion or something.

Take a step back, relax, and seek immediate psychological guidance.

You're obviously quite unstable-- the last thing you need is to spend your time on a website to fuel your instability.

IT'S JUST A BLOODY MOVIE. A poorly made one at that.

Any rational person would let criticism go without a second thought. Or they'd submit to rational debate. But you aren't rational if you are literally upset that someone dislikes something.

Seek help.

AndyLGR

Cole said:

Stick up for what you believe in, I like that.

Cole

ResidentAlien said:
Take a step back, relax, and seek immediate psychological guidance.

You're obviously quite unstable-- the last thing you need is to spend your time on a website to fuel your instability.

IT'S JUST A BLOODY MOVIE. A poorly made one at that.

Any rational person would let criticism go without a second thought. Or they'd submit to rational debate. But you aren't rational if you are literally upset that someone dislikes something.

Seek help.
It's a little more disconcerting when people try to pick fights on the internet.

Cole said:
It's a little more disconcerting when people try to pick fights on the internet.

Exactly as you're doing? Challenging every anonymous person online who disagrees with your assessment on some quickly forgotten, half-assed sequel?

Forbidden Eye

Dr.Jonesy said:
Watch 3:14 onwards, this displays the reactions of fans after seeing the premiere of the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKeqD8w2fb0

This brightened my day!
:p

Yeah I remember the day that the film was released and everybody's reaction was like that, everyone either hadn't seen it yet or loved it. It was even(for just a few days) on the IMDB Top 250. Sadly negative word of mouth grew and many of those same people who loved it at first turned nihilistic.

But what can you do. I had a great time May 22nd, 2008 and still enjoy it today. Yeah, as huge fan, I can see scenes that could've been done a little bit better and wish they elaborate stuff here and there, but it is what it is. Frankly, with the exception of Raiders, none of the Indiana Jones were masterpieces*, they were just fun times at the cinema. I'm just glad they made another one and that we got to see Indy again in the cinema.

*Some will say Last Crusade is, but I honestly believe childhood bias and overly religious Christian beliefs blind some people.

Cole

ResidentAlien said:
Exactly as you're doing? Challenging every anonymous person online who disagrees with your assessment on some quickly forgotten, half-assed sequel?
.........:sleep:

kongisking

ResidentAlien said:
Oh, you are so bloody clever. When you can't refute, act like a dumbass. Hell, it suits you. (y)

Please calm down. I'm saying it nicely. Of course, you're probably gonna call me a pathetic tool just for sticking up for Cole. So why do I bother being polite?

kongisking said:
Please calm down. I'm saying it nicely. Of course, you're probably gonna call me a pathetic tool just for sticking up for Cole. So why do I bother being polite?

See? This is golden. Sticking up for an idiot is cool.

Sticking up for common sense and rational debate as opposed to fanatical ramblings gets you snored at.

Fuuuun.

Cole

ResidentAlien said:
See? This is golden. Sticking up for an idiot is cool.

Sticking up for common sense and rational debate as opposed to fanatical ramblings gets you snored at.

Fuuuun.
Internet tough guy. We're all real impressed.

Matt deMille

Forbidden Eye said:
Yeah I remember the day that the film was released and everybody's reaction was like that, everyone either hadn't seen it yet or loved it. It was even(for just a few days) on the IMDB Top 250. Sadly negative word of mouth grew and many of those same people who loved it at first turned nihilistic.

But what can you do. I had a great time May 22nd, 2008 and still enjoy it today. Yeah, as huge fan, I can see scenes that could've been done a little bit better and wish they elaborate stuff here and there, but it is what it is. Frankly, with the exception of Raiders, none of the Indiana Jones were masterpieces*, they were just fun times at the cinema. I'm just glad they made another one and that we got to see Indy again in the cinema.

*Some will say Last Crusade is, but I honestly believe childhood bias and overly religious Christian beliefs blind some people.

Well said, Forbidden Eye. I think Raiders is the one and only masterpiece of the series, and the other three are equally good fun, each in their own ways. Temple of Doom was a roller coaster. Crusade was Indy and Dad. Kingdom was a fun romp of adventure in a relatively new world. All different, but all equally fun.

But you said it best: Those who say Last Crusade is also a masterpiece are indeed blinded by religion and childhood bias. Well said!

Dr.Jonesy

Attila the Professor said:
I'm not impressed with <I>any</I> of you right now. Cut the childishness.

You're not impressed by the guy sticking up for the other? I'm sorry, but I think Cole and kongisking aren't being a problem.

RA calls someone a "dumbass" and you let him get away with it? Sorry but I think that's a little ridiculous.

Don't pin Cole or Kong as unruly for not taking RA's crap.

I have a hard time believing that if I, Cole or kong called someone a "dumbass" or an "idiot" that we'd get off so easily.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass or get under your skin, Attila, I'm just sayin...

Last edited:

AndyLGR

Matt deMille said:
But you said it best: Those who say Last Crusade is also a masterpiece are indeed blinded by religion and childhood bias. Well said!
Really? Is that a common belief here?

I'm not religious and I was 16 when I saw LC in the cinema. I enjoyed it because of the relationship with Indy and his dad and I guess because it was a bit of a return to the formula of the original. It was an entertaining movie for me. 2nd only to Raiders, but I accept we all have different viewpoints on the 4 movies.

Walton

Cole said:
The fan hate is excessive and irrational, and is in many ways comparable to 'Crystal Skull' in those regards.

Episode II and III are better, in my opinion, with Episode III being a must-see.

Not if you grew up on IV-VI. Star Wars I-III...whole different issue...whole different forum/thread.

With KotCS, it's not hate (not as far as I'm concerned)...it's irritation. Little niggling things that you wish they'd shot or cut a different way. Attention here, not there, pull back a little on this, push that forward a bit.

The ants...didn't mind them. But it felt like they pulled it out of the Mummy (the skarabs) and didn't do much else different with them. Perhaps Indy should have decked Dev backwards into the mound, the force of his fall caving it in. In the world of bugs, there's nothing angrier than ants whose mound you've stepped in or crushed.

John Williams score for that scene: if the fight is meant to echo Indy v. German Mechanic, then the fight should have stayed on them, particularly with the score calling out the hits like it did in Raiders. Instead, the music seems to exclusively focus the audience on the ants, with the fight becoming the background action. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom...not Siafu and the Kingdom...

It's a slew of little things, things that can be ignored with a little effort; KotCS is still enjoyable, still Indy.

Dr.Jonesy

AndyLGR said:
Really? Is that a common belief here?

I'm not religious and I was 16 when I saw LC in the cinema. I enjoyed it because of the relationship with Indy and his dad and I guess because it was a bit of a return to the formula of the original. It was an entertaining movie for me. 2nd only to Raiders, but I accept we all have different viewpoints on the 4 movies.

He didn't say everyone, so obviously someone like you does not apply.

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:
You're not impressed by the guy sticking up for the other? I'm sorry, but I think Cole and kongisking aren't being a problem.

RA calls someone a "dumbass" and you let him get away with it? Sorry but I think that's a little ridiculous.

Don't pin Cole or Kong as unruly for not taking RA's crap.

I have a hard time believing that if I, Cole or kong called someone a "dumbass" or an "idiot" that we'd get off so easily.

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass or get under your skin, Attila, I'm just sayin...

Dr.Jonesy, I think that what Attila is referring to is that there are other more constructive ways of arguing your love, hate or indifference to something.

An argument based on something more substantial than a personal retort will normally have more weight behind it. It's when discussions get personal that they go off the rails, lose their way, and descend into farce.

There's a time, as hard it often is for all concerned, when we have to take a step back and reassess where we got to. Arguing a point, and building evidence for your view is the fun part of these heated debates. To keep it fun and measured, you have to work at it, and maybe even give a little ground.

:hat:

AndyLGR

Interesting little piece on BBC news today about the 4th movie in franchises.

It mentions KOTCS. Heres the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10463237.stm

In case anyone outside the UK cant get it, it says:

The story: Indy is back, and is on the trail of a skull that must be returned to a lost city in the Amazon which is guarded by the undead.

Reviews for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull were largely positive.

When? the film had its world premiere at the 61st Cannes Film Festival in May 2008 - 19 years after 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Worth the wait? There was no major reinvention. Steven Spielberg stuck to the classic ingredients that had proved so successful in the three previous films. Reviews were largely positive.

Sample review: "Despite the genuine excitement, and one blinding flash of the old genius, this new Indy film looks like it's going through the motions." Peter Bradshaw - The Guardian

The next chapter? Nothing has been confirmed, but an idea for Indy 5 does appear to be in development