Could Raiders have been any better?

Mickiana

Rocket Surgeon said:
The could have made it better, keeping in mind the FX crew wanted to rework the cliff dive and knew they could have improved it.

Same goes for the Belloqs rubber fingers...they could have simply included a skeletal frame..."bones" and the shot would have been much improved.

Given the tech available, there are two examples of how it could have been better.

I concede that your suggestions are right, but what I would like to know, Rocket, is how something like the rubbery fingers was allowed to happen. The truck pole is understandable. They didn't have the technology to 'erase' it prior to first screening, but the floppy fingers seems like a small, avoidable error, so to speak. Did they not want to reshoot? Maybe the cast of Belloq's head was a one-off? Did they run out of time to fix it somehow? Or might it be an example of them saying, "F##k it. It'll do."?

Walecs

Henry Jones VII said:
My favourite movie of all time.
This. Undoubtly this.

Yes, but that director made a masterpiece... NO!
There are movies who teach you something... NO!
How about historical movies? and NO!

No movie will ever be better than Raiders, to me. Never.

Henry Jones VII

Walecs said:
This. Undoubtly this.

Yes, but that director made a masterpiece... NO!
There are movies who teach you something... NO!
How about historical movies? and NO!

No movie will ever be better than Raiders, to me. Never.

you sir, deserve a big round of...

Ryan-Gosling-clap-clap-clap-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1398.gif

Mickiana said:
I concede that your suggestions are right, but what I would like to know, Rocket, is how something like the rubbery fingers was allowed to happen. The truck pole is understandable. They didn't have the technology to 'erase' it prior to first screening, but the floppy fingers seems like a small, avoidable error, so to speak. Did they not want to reshoot? Maybe the cast of Belloq's head was a one-off? Did they run out of time to fix it somehow? Or might it be an example of them saying, "F##k it. It'll do."?

I'd guess they didn't think the fingers would remain intact. Such a simple part of creating something, pouring latex in a mould over a simple skeleton. What made the dummies in Temple look so good was they weren't simply manequins with joints that bent or broke in glaringly odd ways while falling or frozen rubber bodies...one of the FX Temple got right.

I can't believe that the crew didn't want to, they have eyes like the rest of us and the story has come out that Lucas nixed the crews request to reshoot the cliff dive...it all lends itself to the F-it...it'll do.

That and Spielberg writing off Sallah's Slapstick with the Soldier.

Fish1941

Rocket Surgeon said:
Sure, but only cosmetically...they already fixed Goblers cliff dive which was always distracting to me.

Fix belloq's rubbery floppy fingers.

Erase the pole under the truck.

Fix the mambo dancing snakes on a string.

Remove Blue Jean Beauty Queen of the Nile.

Remove the reflection of the blue fabric from on top the well of souls.

Remove the regiment of Nazi troops from the scene.

I Don Quixote

I love Raiders. It has everything I want in an adventure movie. Great writing, locations, actors, cinematography. Great movie.
When I first saw it as a little girl, I didn't like it that much. Felt too long, and for some reason, I didn't like Marion. Now I do.(y)

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
I said:
I love Raiders. It has everything I want in an adventure movie. Great writing, locations, actors, cinematography. Great movie.
When I first saw it as a little girl, I didn't like it that much. Felt too long, and for some reason, I didn't like Marion. Now I do.(y)

If you thought Raiders as a long movie what would you say about The Lord of the Rings extended editions? Hahaha. :hat:

Still, I would love to see an Indy film that long. :p

Montana Smith

Sakis said:
Still, I would love to see an Indy film that long. :p

All three Indy movies should have been that long.

And at least one should've had a giant gorilla, or at least an homage to Ray 'Ape Suit for Rent' Corrigan.