Could Raiders have been any better?

Goodeknight

When people have a "favorite movies" discussion, I'm quick to say Raiders is my favorite movie of all time. I think it's the quintessential adventure flick.

But is there anything that could have made it better? If it was made today it would probably be packed with CG shots and have a superhuman main character (which would both detract considerably for me).

But given the time it came out and the technology available, could it have been any better? Or is it pretty much a perfect film??

KingdianaJones7

If its not broken, don't fix it.

How could Raiders have been any better than it was? Personally it knocked it out of the ball park for me.

Originally posted by goodknight
Could Raiders have been any better?
Sure, but only cosmetically...they already fixed Goblers cliff dive which was always distracting to me.

Fix belloq's rubbery floppy fingers.

Erase the pole under the truck.

Fix the mambo dancing snakes on a string.

Remove Blue Jean Beauty Queen of the Nile.

Remove the reflection of the blue fabric from on top the well of souls.

Montana Smith

Everything could be better.

But if it had been significantly different it would no longer be the ROTLA which spawned a legacy.

As Rocket notes, there's nothing against cosmetic improvement. Plastic surgery, on the other hand, would have created a different beast, maybe even a different character. Might not have been so appealing. Might not have spawned a legacy.

For character, dialogue, situation, story-telling and period, ROTLA was pretty much a perfect film.

There is, of course, one element that could have been altered which would have made it much better, from a personal point of view. ;)

Goodeknight

Montana Smith said:
There is, of course, one element that could have been altered which would have made it much better, from a personal point of view. ;)
Ha! Should have seen that coming. :whip:

Montana Smith

goodeknight said:
Ha! Should have seen that coming. :whip:

It's a bugbear when I dwell on it. Though it is easy to lose yourself in the all-encompassing magic of Raiders.

Essentially, I don't think the choice of MacGuffin is important in any of the movies. It is, by definition, just the plot device that gets the characters into certain situations.

As long as the characters believe they're important enough to travel halfway round the world and face death for, then they'll work.

What ROTLA did well was to retain an air of mystery. The treasure meant different things to different characters. They each had their reasons to go after it.

I don't think the story could have been better told.

Kooshmeister

Anything could be better. Nothing is perfect. But even so, it's perfectly fine as a movie and I don't want it changed. While not perfect, it's as close to perfect as a film is capable of getting.

Henry Jones VII

My favourite movie of all time.

In my eyes, it's nearly perfect. you could change one or other little detail, but it's a masterpiece of action/adventure movie making.:whip:

Gear

Even if it's not literally PERFECT, can't it's imperfections be cinematically beautiful?

Henry Jones VII

Gear said:
Even if it's not literally PERFECT, can't it's imperfections be cinematically beautiful?

on the spot.

133939356243.gif

Gear said:
Raiders is a perfect example of what you propose.

But for conversations sake, how could it have been better in your eyes?

Montana Smith said:
1. A giant gorilla.

2. A villain with clown face paint.

3. Women's beach volleyball competition at Tanis.

This from the guy who wouldn't brave an English cinema in 2012 for Raiders.:rolleyes:

A now for something completely relevant...please God.

Mickiana

It could not have been better. It was the best they could do within their constraints. But note I said "it was the best they could do". It seems they did do their best, or at least came bloody close to it. Everyone involved seemed very inspired in their efforts. The whole premise and approach produced the results we see.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
This from the guy who wouldn't brave an English cinema in 2012 for Raiders.:rolleyes:

A now for something completely relevant...please God.

I haven't braved a cinema since Pee Wee Herman sat next to me in 1991.

Well, if those three solid suggestions don't add value, then the only other possibility would have been to replace Marion with Willie.

goodeknight said:
But given the time it came out and the technology available, could it have been any better? Or is it pretty much a perfect film??

The could have made it better, keeping in mind the FX crew wanted to rework the cliff dive and knew they could have improved it.

Same goes for the Belloqs rubber fingers...they could have simply included a skeletal frame..."bones" and the shot would have been much improved.

Given the tech available, there are two examples of how it could have been better.