Question for the people who liked Crystal Skull

CrimsonTree

How could you possibly have liked it after seeing a ridiculous looking alien similar to the one in signs, and subsequently, a UFO fly out of the ground? Was this not somewhat unsettling? I'm even willing to forget about the waterfalls, nuked fridges, and tarzan swings. But how could one possibly stand to bare the site of such a stupid looking alien and flying saucer on screen.....in an INDIANA JONES movie?

Travis85

The alien was only at the very end, and I never had a problem with the alien plot anyway :) The nuclear explosion was pretty cool, and the ant fight, all of the chases and the sword fighting on the jeeps was some of the best action in all of the movies.

DrHapgood

Do you really need an explanation for the physical appearance of the alien?

Throughout modern media, urban legend and documented evidence; that is basically in the main ballpark of the appearance that extraterrestrial beings exhibit. It's what we've come to expect based on previous experience.

Note that all Ancient Artifacts / McGuffins that Indy has pursued are based in reality. Why should the Crystal Skull be any different?

Crusade>Raiders

Because I don't think Indiana should be about just religious artifacts. I think its kinda cool he can go look for some craz ass things, like dinosaur eggs and Dracula's cup.

Also, the CGI on that UFO ship was pretty well done.

DrHapgood

Crusade>Raiders said:
Because I don't think Indiana should be about just religious artifacts.

Let's also note that the Crystal Skull is in fact a religious artifact. Maybe not to us, but to the culture that first laid eyes on the artifact / beings, it was an object of religious significance.

Religion is in a way there to explain the unknown. To that culture those beings were part of the unknown. We simply don't see it as religious or said beings as Gods because we have a scientific explanation for them.

The Man

There was no fear or terror in the alien approach. The Ark was spooky as Hell. Crystal Skull gave no shivers - only shudders. Dracula's cup sounds intriguing...(y)

Agent Z

The Man said:
There was no fear or terror in the alien approach. The Ark was spooky as Hell. Crystal Skull gave no shivers - only shudders. Dracula's cup sounds intriguing...(y)

The Ark was spooky......when I was 9 years old.

Point taken though....

The Man

Crusade>Raiders said:
Because I don't think Indiana should be about just religious artifacts. I think its kinda cool he can go look for some craz ass things, like dinosaur eggs and Dracula's cup.

Also, the CGI on that UFO ship was pretty well done.

Elaborate on the 'Dracula's cup' idea, please. An eventual Indy V should return to the occult.

MaxPhactor23

DrHapgood said:
Let's also note that the Crystal Skull is in fact a religious artifact. Maybe not to us, but to the culture that first laid eyes on the artifact / beings, it was an object of religious significance.

Religion is in a way there to explain the unknown. To that culture those beings were part of the unknown. We simply don't see it as religious or said beings as Gods because we have a scientific explanation for them.

That’s really all hypothetical though. From a factual perspective, the most likely scenario is that they’ve always been an elaborate hoax. Many of the most reliable ones have even been discredited as fake recently. If they are legitimately ancient then I get your point, these were used in some way of worship for primitive cultures, but you really have to take this sort of thing with a grain of salt. The Crystal Skulls were a very different mcguffin to begin with, then Lucas went a fictional alien route and made them very different from the more famous actual skulls (with the only exception of the E.T. Skull). Over all they’re a shell of what they are in actuality.

DaveTheHutt

So.. some of you hated the Skull but fancy the idea of a beverage mug owned by a fictional blood-sucker?

I thought the Skull was a bit weak too, but jeez.... what's next? Indy meets the Wolfman?

Uki

Uh...because it was a fun movie.

For that matter, how can you like Last crusade with those incredibly fake looking giraffes and the phony looking anaconda on the circus train? Why would you enjoy Raiders with the silly GI Joe bodies flying through the sky at the finale?
I love all 4 movies. They all capture a sense of adventure that no one will ever quite experience with a wonderfully thought out protagonist, and deadly villains. Each movie has its share of camp, silliness, and fake-looking props/creatures/whathaveyou, but none of it has ever bothered me. I'm a fan. Skull is here to stay, haters. Get over it!:whip:

The Man

DaveTheHutt said:
So.. some of you hated the Skull but fancy the idea of a beverage mug owned by a fictional blood-sucker?

I thought the Skull was a bit weak too, but jeez.... what's next? Indy meets the Wolfman?

It sounds hilarious, of course. Maybe not Dracula's swigger per se, but he could encounter some evildoer's MacGuffin. They need to go dark as night and funny as f*ck for the next installment. Vlad The Impaler's head-kettle, perhaps?

Benraianajones

I liked Crystal Skull, but I agree it should have been darker.

Didn't find the concept of skulls weak, they could have been made to be more eerie however.

The alien craft lasts for about 30 seconds, not enough for me to want to end my life over.

Raiders90

The Man said:
It sounds hilarious, of course. Maybe not Dracula's swigger per se, but he could encounter some evildoer's MacGuffin. They need to go dark as night and funny as f*ck for the next installment. Vlad The Impaler's head-kettle, perhaps?

Indy already encountered Vlad the Impaler in 1918.

A_True_Believer

CrimsonTree said:
How could you possibly have liked it after seeing a ridiculous looking alien similar to the one in signs, and subsequently, a UFO fly out of the ground? Was this not somewhat unsettling? I'm even willing to forget about the waterfalls, nuked fridges, and tarzan swings. But how could one possibly stand to bare the site of such a stupid looking alien and flying saucer on screen.....in an INDIANA JONES movie?

I have a question for you. Why does it bother you so much that other people like it? If you don't, that's fine, but don't get so incredulous because there are those out there that don't agree with you.

A_True_Believer

The Man said:
Elaborate on the 'Dracula's cup' idea, please. An eventual Indy V should return to the occult.

"Indiana Jones and the Cup of the Vampire" was one of those "Find Your Fate" books where Indy went after the Cup of Djemsheed, a chalice supposedly buried with the remains of Dracula that could grant eternal life. Here is a page about it:

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Indiana_Jones_and_the_Cup_of_the_Vampire

I actually own this one, and it's quite an enjoyable read. Indy in a horror setting is really interesting.

MaxPhactor23

Freaking Vlad the Impaler would definitely be more in keeping with Indiana Jones! Aliens fit into the series about as well as the terminator fits into a romantic comedy. Heck?I?d take dinosaurs over aliens!

Jones_Happens

To me, Indy has always been about discovering strange, unexplainable artifacts. Aliens fit in, so would Dracula (or the wolfman), or any number of other things.

To me, Dinosaurs would be more of a stretch for an Indy movie because there is so much verified scientific evidence about them.

Peacock's-Eye

As an atheist, one of the things I really enjoyed about Indy4 was the bold way the filmmakers placed the UFO mythology on the same level as various traditional religious myths! In the same film that takes on paranoia and injustice in the U.S. Government! That's daring for a blockbuster sequel in these times. And well done, too. The same people who boycotted "The Golden Compass" took the whole family to see Indy4 opening weekend (y)

I love it!
And the movie is terrific, too.