Question for the people who liked Crystal Skull

Bullwhip

The Crystal "Aliens" were awesome, the "alien" itself was OKAY, the flying saucer was classic. The latter pure, wonderful 50s pulp.

Peacock's-Eye

>>"The torches, they're damp." Mutt says it, and then NOTHING COMES OUT OF THE LINE.<<
Uh, like the EYE that follows them from behind the carving, the Ugha warriors emerging from the walls, and the attack outside??? That kind of "nothing"?

Jones_Happens

One of my biggest beefs with the film was the handling of the alien at the end. Ox informs Indy that they are 'Interdimensional Beings' rather than aliens and then informs him that they did not take the spaceship to space, but rather to 'the space between spaces.'

To me, this shows that the filmmakers were somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of using aliens and tried to gloss it over with euphemisms.

A couple of disclaimers:

1. I like KOTCS AND the alien, but disagree with the shotty attempt to explain the ending with flimsy euphemisms.
2. I posted a VERY sarcastic thread yesterday meant to poke fun at the use of 'interdimensional beings' and a bunch of very uptight people jumped all over me...which was funny!

Agent Z

Dovchenko said:
2. I posted a VERY sarcastic thread yesterday meant to poke fun at the use of 'interdimensional beings' and a bunch of very uptight people jumped all over me...which was funny!

Truth be told...I couldn't sleep after your stormy post. I spent a good deal of the night making new custom covers for my Ali...er....my Interdimensional Being dvds....

:(

Jones_Happens

Agent Z said:
Truth be told...I couldn't sleep after your stormy post. I spent a good deal of the night making new custom covers for my Ali...er....my Interdimensional Being dvds....

:(
LOL!!! Finally...someone with a sense of humor I can appreciate!!!

Darth Vile

Dovchenko said:
To me, this shows that the filmmakers were somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of using aliens and tried to gloss it over with euphemisms.

!

I agree to the extent that they clearly wanted to reference aliens/UFO's whilst still keeping some level of mystique. Was this borne out of bad scripting/dialogue/indecision etc? No I don't think it was. Would it have been better if they had not shown the CGI alien/UFO? IMHO - Yes... I think they could have taken a step back and still referenced aliens/UFO?s without showing them (but by no means does it kill the movie for me).

Benraianajones

Agreed Darth Vile. I do think the crystal skeletons were mysterious and "scary" enough without the live one. They'd have held a lot more mystery to them than the living one. The crystal skeletons would essentially just be acting as the ark, holy grail, stones - punishing the villian - as opposed to becoming the "God" of the artifiact.

graz

I loved the movie, but I think the CGI spaceship was a step too far. There should have been a bit more ambiquity. The idea that it destroys the film though seems daft to me, because most of what was in there is based on popular myths that may or may not be true.

I fully understand though if people don't like the film because they had issues with other stuff like the nuked fridge and the monkeys. Personally I didn't because I went to the Cinema to watch a daft, entertaining action film and not bleedin' Shakespeare! :rolleyes:

Swindle

Just read this thread. Bottom line, religious artifacts, secular artifacts. It makes no difference. The McGuffins, which is what they really are, only exist as a mechanism to bring on the chase between Indy and the forces of Evil, and of course, the real essence of the films, Indy growing closer to his family and friends.

I don't give a flying flip about aliens. They co-occupy the Indy-verse with God, apparently. Fine by me. Good chase scene? Check. Little man-eating ants? Love it. Fun comedy? Yes! The return of Marion? Oh yeah! The movie had everything I love about Indy.

I did like the saucer take-off also. It was one of those moments where Indy is completely at a loss for words witnessing it leaving.

I think more people are mad about the tone of the film. Just my theory. Go watch Temple of Doom if you want a bleak Indy. Watching Short Round get whipped still makes me sad. :eek:

Anunnaki

CrimsonTree said:
How could you possibly have liked it after seeing a ridiculous looking alien similar to the one in signs, and subsequently, a UFO fly out of the ground? Was this not somewhat unsettling? I'm even willing to forget about the waterfalls, nuked fridges, and tarzan swings. But how could one possibly stand to bare the site of such a stupid looking alien and flying saucer on screen.....in an INDIANA JONES movie?

Come to think of it, it makes PERFECT sense that Indy would meet aliens or see a UFO in his lifetime. He's an archaeologist, right?. Well, if he did any research about Egypt he would read about a Pharaoh seeing a UFO in the sky and writing his experience for posterity. The Mayas said that they got to Earth through some kind of space worm. Aztec god Quetzalcoatl was said to be from Venus.

Besides, the McGuffin in Indy IV like the others before it is a religious object. Venerated by the Peruvian/Mayan-ish tribes from the film (not in real life, though).

MaxPhactor23

Anunnaki said:
Come to think of it, it makes PERFECT sense that Indy would meet aliens or see a UFO in his lifetime. He's an archaeologist, right?. Well, if he did any research about Egypt he would read about a Pharaoh seeing a UFO in the sky and writing his experience for posterity. The Mayas said that they got to Earth through some kind of space worm. Aztec god Quetzalcoatl was said to be from Venus.

Let me introduce the most gullible poster on the Raven. Do you believe everything you're told? Don't you look up this stuff to make sure it's true? Pssh! That's always too much for your kind. Well I'm not lazy. I do look it up and oftentimes I discover how blatantly bogus this sort of thing is. There's a reason the scientific community rejects these sort of boneheaded theories. You're the exact reason as to why I want to get into Archeology. I want to teach naïve morons like yourself that you shouldn't believe the tabloids. None of that is true whatsoever. There is no evidence for it. Those Egyptian UFO stories were hoaxes. There is no creditable script. As a matter of fact, there isn't a script at all. The man flat out lied. Go to a museum for information on ancient history, don't listen to Coast to Coast or read the National Enquirer. Especially don’t expect factual anything from that sort of garbage. Now stop spreading misinformation like you have some Nazi agenda. Acting like the plot to Crystal Skull is not only the norm for the series but probable in real life...is absurd.

Last edited:
Anunnaki said:

Besides, the McGuffin in Indy IV like the others before it is a religious object. Venerated by the Peruvian/Mayan-ish tribes from the film (not in real life, though).

Archeology is the search for FACT not TRUTH. If it's Truth you want Dr. Tyree's philosophy class is just down the hall.

Anunnaki

MaxPhactor23 said:

Let me introduce the most gullible poster on the Raven. Do you believe everything you're told? You're the exact reason as to why I want to get into Archeology. I want to teach naïve morons like yourself that you shouldn't believe the tabloids. None of that is true whatsoever. There is no evidence for it. Those Egyptian UFO stories were hoaxes. There is no creditably script. The man flat out lied. Go to a museum for information on ancient history, don't listen to Coast to Coast or read the National Enquirer. Especially don?t expect factual anything from that sort of garbage. Now stop spreading misinformation like you have some Nazi agenda.

First of all, don't call me a moron. I'm not your dad. Your dad just goes "g'uh!" when you call him that. Me? I will tare you a new arse. Especially when I never insulted you. Aside from having a different opinion than yours.

It seems that reading different opinions gets you the vapors, eh? Yeah, I know. You can have opinions, but other users are just ignorant sluts. That's how things go in your make believe world. And you call me naive... sheesh. :rolleyes:

Now crawl back to your rock. And stop ASSuming where I get my info.

MaxPhactor23

Anunnaki said:
First of all, don't call me a moron. I'm not your dad. Your dad just goes "g'uh!" when you call him that. Me? I will tare you a new arse. Especially when I never insulted you. Aside from having a different opinion than yours.

It seems that reading different opinions gets you the vapors, eh? Yeah, I know. You can have opinions, but other users are just ignorant sluts. That's how things go in your make believe world. And you call me naive... sheesh. :rolleyes:

Now crawl back to your rock. And stop ASSuming where I get my info.

Oh! You sure tore me a new arse. I'm horrified. Pssh! A fetus uses better grammar. You get your info out of your arse! That's where it comes from and anyone with half a mind knows it. We're not discussing opinions. This is fact vs. fiction. Face fact! Your comments are pure fantasy. Now please...never spawn. Go crawl back under your rock and pretend it will turn into a UFO. Maybe someday you'll actually get someone to believe you. Until then I think most of us will go with common sense.

Last edited:

Anunnaki

MaxPhactor23 said:
You get your info out of your arse! That's where it comes from and anyone with half a mind knows that. We're not discussing opinions. This is fact vs. fiction. Your comments are pure fantasy. Now please...never spawn. Now please, crawl back to your rock and pretend it will turn into a UFO. Maybe someday you'll actually get someone to believe you.

Wow, what a weak comeback... out of my arse. Whew! Not talking about opinions but facts, you say. On a forum about Indiana Jones films?... Really? Facts?.... you got it all figured out, eh? The whole universe. From your mother's basement. WOW.

Flubby, you just made my day. I didn't knew inbred trailer park rats like yourself could write.

:D

MaxPhactor23

Anunnaki said:
Wow, what a weak comeback... out of my arse. Whew! Not talking about opinions but facts, you say. On a forum about Indiana Jones films?... Really? Facts?.... you got it all figured out, eh? The whole universe. From your mother's basement. WOW.

Flubby, you just made my day. I didn't knew inbred trailer park rats like yourself could write.

:D

It's a miracle you even respond. Watching you write is sort of like watching a monkey use power tools. Who knew they had the ability? Please boy… I’d curb stop your mother just for pure amusement. Maybe the aliens would save her! No harm in hoping. I’m fully convinced that for you to grace an intellectual thought would be to risk an aneurysm. But there is a humorous irony in calling me the fat virgin when you're the one who believes in aliens. Hah! It’s darling how your obnoxious fandom blinds you from differentiating between fantasy and reality. Don't fret boy, I’m sure X-wings and TIE Fighters are flying up there somewhere. Maybe your desktop will phone home and take off for the red planet. Dare to dream…virgin! You’re the product of too much TV and too many movies. You need a reality check and I think some female interaction would help you realize that girls aren’t just from a galaxy far far away. But please...go read a book on Archeology before you spread that fictional bullcrap you're so quick to believe. Until then just go die the sad and pathetic death I'm sure you'll have.

Last edited:

James

The problem with message board fights is that they take place...on a message board.

So nobody wins.

Because if any of us were truly intelligent and well-adjusted individuals, we wouldn't be here in the first place. :D