Phantom Edit of Indy 4

jasperjones

I loved the Ants. Couldn't disagree more.

I think Mutt actually was quite bright and had obviously listened to Oxley when he was younger. He says that he used to read all th etime with Ox.

As for the UFO, I think someone else said that the hive mind of the aliens were going to bestow the gift of knowledge upon Spalko (as they obviously had done with previous civilisations with irrigation etc) but when they realized what Spalko intended to do with that knowledge they destroyed her.

Works for me anyway.

I do agree that they probably aimed slightly more for the early teen market. I think kids are going to love it.

IAdventurer01

bergstrom said:
A few things i didn't get, including Mutt figuring out things despite not having an education.
And the Ants eating people?? Lookos like something that you would put into THE MUMMY. Did anyone feel the movie was DUMBED DOWN fot the MTV generation??

Just because he dropped from school because he found it uninteresting doesn't mean Mutt was dumb.

Also, those darn ants actually exist and behave pretty much that way. I watched a show about them on the discovery channel a few months ago.

I think that if they cut out the CGI monkeys and just had Mutt swing from a vine seemingly from nowhere to rejoin the fight, it would have been a REALLY good scene. How he figured out how to swing could be left to the viewers imagination and seeing him swing from a vine would still give the homage I'm sure they were going for.

SwingingMonkey

If I could switch bodies with Lucas or Spielberg for a year, I'd pull it out of the cinemas and do a complete rewrite and reshoot most of the scenes.

Jim Tigernuts

What I thought was sadly amusing was that when Indy points to the two sets of footprints, and Mutt says that it could be one person twice, Indy looks genuinely impressed. I mean COME ON, even a two year old would realise that. Nothing to be impressed by at all!

Bjorn Heimdall

Nice thread, I was going to make one(y)

I would cut out the whole Nuclear blast thing. Indy falls of the sled and hides, the next day he meets the agents. A shame to have to cut the body scrubbing out but so be it.

Next thing I remember is the rubber tree. Just make a road which goes down to the river. And replace the three waterfalls with a single one.Just make them go down one and then the car is toast and they swim to the shore.

sandiegojones

Manco said:
The editing was a little terse. It has George Lucas written all over it - he must have edited this. He did similar editing in Attack of the Clones, which made things a little choppy. Didn't linger long enough on certain scenes, stayed too long on others.
I seem to remember seeing "Michael Kahn, A.S.C." in the opening title as the credited editor, I could be wrong, but it said that. He's only edited the other Indy films and all but two of SS films.

I also remember that Lucas said a dozen times the Steven is the director and has "final cut".

The Lucas argument is tired. (n)

After seeing it again I wouldn't change too much. I think the "effect" of the swinging and the tree over the cliff bit would have worked if they could have done it practically rather than CGI (real trees & stuff). My only gripe.

agentsands77

IAdventurer01 said:
I think that if they cut out the CGI monkeys and just had Mutt swing from a vine seemingly from nowhere to rejoin the fight, it would have been a REALLY good scene. How he figured out how to swing could be left to the viewers imagination and seeing him swing from a vine would still give the homage I'm sure they were going for.
It would have been a big improvement.

Insomniac

Major West said:
I wouldn't cut anything out, I'd cut more stuff in.

Some scenes very very short and I want to see the full cut. Anybody that starts talking about this like it's star wars needs a slap.
i second the notion.(y)

Bullwhip

Grailseeker said:
I would cut:

Tarzan Scene- so unrealistic it was comical

Alien and ship reveal - Indy is about the "unknown" They didn't show GOD in RoTLA, they didn't show Sheeba in TOD and they didn't show Jesus in LC.

75% of all the CGI used - It really took away from the movie. The franchise is all about physical sets, dirt, grime, and old school special effects. I missed that in this movie.

I missed a lot of things...

:(

Shiva. SHIVA. ;)

Only thing I'd cut is the "Tarzan scene". I like Resident Alien's fix.

As for the alien reveal, could have done without it-- but the flying saucer reveal was just CLASSIC.

Agent Spalko said:
No editing can save this film. I want to completely erase it from memory and existence. It never happened.

Really? The best way to that might be to stop OBSESSING over the movie and this forum. We got a new Clinton Hammond.

Do yourself a huge favor. Leave. At least the Indy IV forum. Not for me or anyone else but for yourself. You've gone past the point of wanting to offer constructive criticism or just a healthy venting and gone into the realm of being a big crybaby; and that kind of attention-seeking, embittered, Internet armchair filmmaker stuff is a huge waste of your time and energy.

Bullwhip

I'd like to put the phrase "Phantom Edit" together with "Jumped the shark" and "punk'd" and beat the **** out of them with Marcus Brody's dick.

Speaking of Brody, that's one other thing I'd cut-- the statue head scene. Didn't seem very respectful of the character or Denholm Elliot.

Shortie

Man I bet if we had this technology in '84 TOD would of have this treatment. KOCS just has to grow on you, it's a different from Raiders & Crusade, so what?

Bullwhip said:
Really? The best way to that might be to stop OBSESSING over the movie and this forum. We got a new Clinton Hammond.

Do yourself a huge favor. Leave. At least the Indy IV forum. Not for me or anyone else but for yourself. You've gone past the point of wanting to offer constructive criticism or just a healthy venting and gone into the realm of being a big crybaby; and that kind of attention-seeking, embittered, Internet armchair filmmaker stuff is a huge waste of your time and energy.

Screw you. I'm a HUGE Indy fan and this movie is a catastrophe. What are you a f'n fascist? I have just as much right to express my opinion as anybody else here. If you don't like it or agree with it you can always agree to disagree or do yourself a favor and simply ignore. People like you think everything has to be hunky dory and anyone not giving you the circle jerk who is critical of your opinion shouldn't be here is an elitist mentality. Face it, not everyone is going to agree with you. I'm well aware that people liked it, doesn't mean that I agree with it and can express my contrary opinions as much as I like. Boo f'n hoo, buddy.

Bullwhip

Boy that was a non sequitur response. It had nothing to do with what you quoted.

"A catastrophe" huh?

I don't know about you, but I prefer not to waste my time, energy, and mental faculties on trivial things that I DON'T like. On "CATASTROPHES". There's a reason why I don't read messageboards about American Idol, Michael Bay, MTV programming and why I don't listen to the radio. I'm not a masochist.

It's been DAYS now, man. What is it about YOU that makes you want to relive such a terrible movie over and over again? What sort of compunction is it that makes you browse through this forum-- its innumerable threads and posts-- about a movie you hate with an almost obsessive passion? Is it just attention-seeking? Twisted satisfaction in constantly reminding people that their tastes suck? What is it? I'm honestly curious what you get out of it. Because there seems to be a number of people like you in every fan messageboard I come across. I love a good rant about bull**** as much as the next guy, but after a rant-- after there's nothing constructive left to say and I'm convinced as you are of my position against something-- I move on with my life.

You claimed you wish you could rid yourself of the memory of it. If that's genuine, then why do you continually choose to remind yourself about it?

I just can't imagine what's going on in your head, bro.

Stoo

Agent Spalko said:
No editing can save this film. I want to completely erase it from memory and existence. It never happened.
Better change your screen name and avatar, then...:rolleyes: