Indiana was a Freemason: Or, what affiliations does he have on his resume?

Pale Horse

Staff member
'allo

;)

I have been doing some research for a screenplay I am working on. Heavy stuff, that involves many hours of spent in the library. In the process of my studies, I was looking at the Freemason and their connection to, well, everything; depending on who you believe. It got me thinking.

Is Dr. Henry Jones Jr. a Freemason? Does he have ties to Freemasonry? I found a pulpish description of an ideal Freemason, and will post it below. This is not my description, this is the description the Freemasons would have you believe. I think it fits Indy to the 'T'.

If you see a man who quietly and modestly moves in the sphere of his life; who, without blemish, fulfils his duty as a man, a subject, a husband and a father; who is pious without hypocrisy, benevolent without ostentation, and aids his fellowman without self-interest; whose heart beats warm for friendship, whose serene mind is open for licensed pleasures, who in vicissitudes does not despair, nor in fortune will be presumptuous, and who will be resolute in the hour of danger;
The man who is free from superstition and free from infidelity; who in nature sees the finger of the Eternal Master; who feels and adores the higher destination of man; to whom faith, hope and charity are not mere words without any meaning; to whom property, nay even life, is not too dear for the protection of innocence and virtue, and for the defense of truth;

The man who towards himself is a severe judge, but who is tolerant with the debilities of his neighbour; who endeavours to oppose errors without arrogance, and to promote intelligence without impatience; who properly understands how to estimate and employ his means; who honours virtue though it may be in the most humble garment, and who does not favour vice though it be clad in purple; and who administers justice to merit whether dwelling in palaces or cottages.

The man who, without courting applause, is loved by all noble-minded men, respected by his superiors and revered by his subordinates; the man who never proclaims what he has done, can do, or will do, but where need is will lay hold with dispassionate courage, circumspect resolution, indefatigable exertion and a rare power of mind, and who will not cease until he has accomplished his work, and then, without pretension, will retire into the multitude because he did the good act, not for himself, but for the cause of good!

If you, my Brethren meet such a man, you will see the personification of brotherly love, relief and truth; and you will have found the ideal of a Freemason.

Joe Brody

Interesting topic.

[Jokingly] I'm thinking there might be a problem because I'm inclined to believe that Indy's serene mind is open for UNlicensed pleasures as well. . . .

Palehorse,

I think the passage is a good fit. My only question would be a practical one: if you buy into Indy's vagabond youth and young adulthood, was he ever in one placed long enough to get 'tapped' for entry into a local lodge/group of Masons?

I don't know much about the masons but it's always been my impression that secret societies supposedly scope out their candidates for entry in advance and that there's an internal nomination process that ususally requires several members to support the nomination. If you're thinking of plugging Indy into the Mason's I think one of your challenges is to draft a story or backstory where the nominee(s) have sufficient prior interaction with Indy to tap him for entry.

As for Masons, I know there is tons of literature out there -- but one of the oldest and most widely known fictional works is the Pierre storyline in 'War and Peace'. I don't know if you've read 'War and Peace' but you may want to be familiar with it. I think Tolstoy's writing on the Masons was a bit of scandal back in the day. [apart from Tolstoy, I know there's tons of published stuff about the founding fathers, etc.]

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Now, I'd like to point out something.

Of course, a thing like that will bring Indiana Jones to your mind. But find any description of pure valiance... and you can associate the man with the hat to the description with very little brainwork.
Less than minor in fact, I'd say.

Indyologist

I personally do not think that Indy had any associations with the Masons. However, that was a be-yoo-tiful description of an Ideal man and parts of it did bring Indy to mind. Thanks for sharing it.

The only association I know of that Indy was part of was the Greek fraternity he belonged to at U of C. Can't remember what that was. Fraternites/Sororities are usually associated with some kind of profession, so perhaps his frat had to do with history/archeology.

I bet he was a member of some kind of archeological society, though. I'm not sure what kind of assocations with this profession exsisted back then. Also, I don't know what kind of grades Indy got as he went for his Masters, but I bet they were pretty high. I guess he was Ravenwood's most promising student, so one can only imagine that he was probably in some honor society and most likely graduated with honors.

Wish we could make up a "resume" for Indy. Anyone up to it? It would be interesting to have as a reference work, or even just for fun.

Indyologist

Joe Brody said:
Interesting topic.

[Jokingly] I'm thinking there might be a problem because I'm inclined to believe that Indy's serene mind is open for UNlicensed pleasures as well. . . .

LOL-- AKA "years of fieldwork" in "primitive sexual practices!"

Pale Horse

Staff member
Well I will agree, that post about an ideal man good apply to may people. It is sanatized to be sure, but that brings up a whole new and interesting line of speculation. As reported, that was a Freemasons version of what an ideal man should be. They wrote it, so that is the way they wish to be seen. The are constantly tinkering with their image.

Which bring us to Jones. As Joe pointed out, he has never been in one place long enough to have ties to a fraternal oragnization. But certainly with his study at the U of C, and his association with Abner, the claws of the Freemasons certainly could have grabbed deep into Jones. Heck, put a fez on Marcus Brody and give him a funky hand shake and Brody fits the part of a drunken lodge buddy to the 'T'. I think the important people around Indy would give him access to the society. And if Brody, as curator to a museum, was a high order Mason, than maybe his association to Eaton and Musgrove goes far beyond cooperating with the governement.

That could be the reason behind why I feel the Brody sold Jones out when the Ark was returned to the States, and also why I believe that Abner is still alive and is one of the Top Men alluded to at the end of RotLA. After all, he was the "real expert." according to Jones.....

LaoChe

Actually, I could see Indy being associated with the masons. Definately his father would've been, having been so obsessed with the grail!

There's another Sean COnnery movie called "The Man Who Would Be King" with Michael Cain, where they both play freemasons!

The mason connection could explain how Indy has friends spread out all over the world!

Finn

Staff member
What next? You start seeing clear allegories in that Sallah actually does fear a fez in LC? :p

...now, I think you go little far beyond with this speculation about the untold aspects of the film. Of course, you can believe that Indy is associated with the masons, but do not start claiming that in front of someone who does not, because this thing will always remain as a matter of opinion.

LaoChe

Well,

I guess in defense of this speculation, I don't think it's completely inconceivable. Indiana Jones, after all, is based on the serial pulp adventures of Yesteryear. H. Rider Haggard, I would say, is one of the biggest influences, having pretty much written the original Indiana Jones story (aside from GrimJim)

Guess what? He was a freemason! As were most of his characters!!

So maybe it is not DIRECTLY mentioned in the Indy movies, the inspiration is there and therefore the SUGGESTION exists.

But since I am only talking speculation and suggestion, of course it is entirely arguable.

But it does make you think...

Finn

Staff member
Now, I never denied that, my friend.

I just find it amusing in all how far these people here can stretch their brain.

bob

Indy a Mason - sure why not!

Perhaps Indy rather than being the victim of circumstance in fact has his own agenda.....

Pale Horse

Staff member
Maybe not his own agenda, but one that the society has ascribed to him, one that he agrees with and one that he accepts with great responsibility.

Which leads to the next question for us brain stretchers.

What do all of the artifacts that Indy has gone after all have in common?

on a freemason level, of course...

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
never mind the flood, at least a good topic was brought up again. I just hope Aussie Jones (which is uniquely like "anti-jones") posts why she feels that IJ is not a freemason.

blur

On a gut level, I don't think Indy would go in for the trappings of Freemasonry.

Do we know Indy's religion? While Freemasonry is supposedly 'open'; it has been largely linked with certain religions, rather than others, over the years.