Indiana was a Freemason: Or, what affiliations does he have on his resume?

Pale Horse

Staff member
The Masonry is loosly based on Judeo Christian beliefs, but has no ties to any religion tenants. You have to believe in a Supreme Being, and can not be atheistic.

In my research I found the following

the 33 Masonic Levels, or Degrees:

1. Entered Apprentice
2. Fellowcraft
3. Master Mason

Lodge of Perfection
4. Secret Master

5. Perfect Master
The Fifth Degree, or Perfect Master, emphasizes the two virtues, Industry and Honesty. The Master Khurum (Hiram) had both of these virtues. Idleness, the great enemy of growth, whether mental or spiritual, is the brewer of mischief and vice. "To sleep little, study much, say little, think and hear much, to learn to do earnestly and vigorously whatever is required by duty" are the precepts of the Mason who follows the Master. A Mason should always be honest in his contracts, sincere in his statements, and keep all promises and covenants even to his own disadvantage.

6. Intimate Secretary
7. Provost and Judge
8. Intendant of the Building
9. Master Elect of the Nine
10. Master Elect of the Fifteen
11. Sublime Master Elected
12. Grand Master Architect
13. Master of the Ninth Arch
14. Grand Elect Mason
Council of Princes of Jerusalem
15. Knight of the East or Sword
16. Prince of Jerusalem
Chapter of Rose Croix
17. Knight of the East and West
18. Knight of the Eagle and Pelican
Consistory
19. Grand Pontiff
20. Master ad Vitam
21. Patriarch Noachite
22. Prince of Libanus
23. Chief of the Tabernacle
24. Prince of the Tabernacle
25. Knight of the Brazen Serpent
26. Prince of Mercy
27. Commander of the Temple
28. Knight of the Sun
29. Knight of Saint Andrew
30. Grand Elect Knight Kadosh
31. Grand Inspector Inquisitor Commander
32. Sublime Prince of the Royal Secret

Given all of the degrees listed above, I thought it would important to study the character of Indiana Jones as presented in the movies, and then to examine the nature of the different degrees of Masonry. Given both sets of knowledge, Indiana Jones fits squarely into the 5th degree Mason. In addition, the 5th degree is symbolized by the sextant, the same tool Dr. Jones uses constantly in his profession.

Now, before you all flip out and say this brain stretching is all a bunch of hooey, I am not suggesting that Jones is a member of the Illuminati, the Templars, or the like, just that he has a fraternal connection to the Masons, as did many people back in the 20?s and 30?s. The sinister aspects of this fraternal group are held in the characters of Abner, Fedora, Donovan, Chattar Lal, and the afore mentioned Eaton and Musgrove.

An interesting fact about the search for the Ark and some of the theories found in THIS thread. Jerusalem is 33 degrees off of the prime meridian that runs through Paris. 33 is the highest order of Free Masonry. (It?s also the mysterious number on the back of a Rolling Rock bottle too, hmmmm.) If its true that Indiana Jones had a history is Israel with Abner in 1909 on a dig at the El Aksa Mosque, I think is it certainly safe to assume that the theory of the Ark being under the Dome of the Rock are true. I also think that that is the reason M&E went straight to Indy and Brody, instead of searching elsewhere for someone more suitable to conduct an excavation.

I have more, but I want to see what anyone else here thinks.

Finn

Staff member
<small>Mr. Brown, we have a new case study for you. Should we deliver him in drugs or will simple old-fashioned binding up do?</small>

blur

Pale Horse said:
The Masonry is loosly based on Judeo Christian beliefs, but has no ties to any religion tenants. You have to believe in a Supreme Being, and can not be atheistic.

Yes, you've pulled that from some Mason-friendly site, but it's not the point I was making. Did you know, for example, that until not too long ago, the Catholic Church barred its members from becoming Masons? That's a lot of potential members (under what you just posted), who weren't actually eligible if they believed in their Church.

Further, in my experience, the vast majority of Freemasons I have come across, or known about, have been from one of the Protestant religions. So while the rules speak of being open, the craft has largely been a WASP-friendly environment.

This is the point I was making by asking about Indy's religion. For example, if he was Catholic, I think you could be quite assured that he wasn't a Mason, for example!

Also, to take one of the levels and compare it to Indy doesn't ring true either; given that these levels aren't like some amazing thing it takes years to achieve. It's relatively quick to move through these titles and it's actually quite funny that everyone ends up getting a cool sounding name in next to no time, in addition to everyone getting a turn at running the Lodge, etc. To the outsider it sounds impressive, but it's not all that hard to achieve, or even that symbolic.

You say you've been doing research. Get out there and continue it with articles like this:

http://www.true-life.org.uk/pages/story11.htm

And many others like it on the Web, and tell me if this is something you think Indiana Jones would have the time of day for.

Pale Horse

Staff member
blur said:
Yes, you've pulled that from some Mason-friendly site, but it's not the point I was making. Did you know, for example, that until not too long ago, the Catholic Church barred its members from becoming Masons? That's a lot of potential members (under what you just posted), who weren't actually eligible if they believed in their Church.

Well most of this is speculation, anyway. Afterall we are talking about a fictional character. There are as many reference materials that endore Free Masonry as there are that condemn it. But these types of studies are far better in my opinion than some of the more simplistic threads that can grace many message boards from time to time.

I doubt that Indy has any religious affiliations. There is a thread on this deep in the Indy archives here at the Raven, but I am too lazy today to go and find it. It might even be said that he was an atheist, at least until the Raider incident on the island. That would certainly go against whichever stance you take on the Free Masons.

You could be right that Indy's time is more valuable to him than participating in a fraternal group, but what if he was an unknowing pawn to one of the other possible Masons I made reference too?

blur

Oh, in that I have no doubt. Some of the artifacts Indy goes after would interest high level Masons, and there would definitely be Masons in positions of power across the world at that time (there still are; but it's not quite the same today), so I have no doubt people funding the museum or Indy's college or particular expeditions themselves, were indeed Masons.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Okay, lets assume Musgrove, Eaton and Donovan are all Masons, high ranking ones at that. We'll assume Indiana does not have a fraternal organization listed on his resume. (Save some Greek Fraternity, but I'll save that one for Joe Brody or bob).

What would the Ark of the Covenant and the Grail have in common?

I'll spin it this way, if the Cup caught the Blood of Christ at the Crucifixation, and the Ark needs a blood sacrifice for atonement, where does that put the Masons?

Joe Brody

blur said:
. . . .Also, to take one of the levels and compare it to Indy doesn't ring true either; given that these levels aren't like some amazing thing it takes years to achieve. It's relatively quick to move through these titles and it's actually quite funny that everyone ends up getting a cool sounding name in next to no time, in addition to everyone getting a turn at running the Lodge, etc.

. . . .[jokingly] this all sounds oddly familiar for some reason. [snapping my fingers] I can't quite make the connection but it sounds like something quite familiar. . . . .

Seriously, I was traveling for a week and am just reading Palehorse's stuff now. I've been curious about his theories for some time and have to admit that I'm impressed. There's more to it than I thought. So Palehorse, you admit there's a problem at least with respect to Marcus being a member?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Marcus' characterization certainly describes his mannerisms in the Last Crusade. To some extent, so does Donovan. Someone brought up his white shoes earlier. But the RotLA Marcus was far more ambiguous.

I don't want to spill the whole bowl of soup here, without others helping me to determine the Rorschach that results when all the facts are realized. But look how Donovan and Brody are influential men in Indy's career/quests. If it wasn't for Brody and the coincidential meeting with the "Army", Indy would not have been a Raider. To that end, when the 4 men (kinda apocalyptic don't you think) are in D.C., even Brody seems satisfied that the Ark's compensation is adequate. "I'm really rather envious myself" has always been a line of his that struck me as odd. It's as if Marcus knows that Indy will find the Ark, and, though Indy is a pawn in the Mason's chess game, Indy will get to see the Ark, and Marcus won't. It's as if he is resigned to that fact, even before there has been a quest.

And Donovan. "Hitler can have the Grail, I'll be drinking to my health, long after he's gone the way of the dodo." There is so much that can be said about the seemingly deceptive ways he works, I could write an entire thesis on it...(hope I didn't give too much away there, Joe.) One of the things that is interesting, is that Marcus is effectively taken out of the loop when it comes to the grail quest. It's as if the powers on high, knew that there shouldn't be two much power, or influence in anyone's hands.

Indydan13

I think it could be possible. However, I believe Indy would be less deceptive and more humane than most masons. However, for the sake of mankind and fans.

Indydan13

Sorry, simple grammatical-typing error.

Should have read "...more humane than most masons, however, for the sake of mankind and fans."

Meaning I would hope that Indy wouldn't be a backstabbing, self-promoting murderer (as portrayed in "From Hell") and would be the selfless hero that we all know and love.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Well, I think we have come to a consensus here that Indy is not, but the men above him are...."Top Men", Brody, Donovan....

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
Okay, lets assume Musgrove, Eaton and Donovan are all Masons, high ranking ones at that.QUOTE]

There are masonic symbols (compass and square) on the doors of Donovan's
apartment.

Neolithic

I guess you'd have definitive evidence in the films if you took screen shots of Indy shaking hands with whoever he happens to be shaking hands with- is he doing the secret hand shake?

Of course, you'd have to know what the secret hand shake looks like. :rolleyes:

Even though this is all hypothetical, I just can't see Indy wearing an apron and little white gloves. :)

Stoo

Neither in my mind. I really don't believe Indy would have been a Mason
but agree with Pale Horse's possibilty of Musgrove, Eaton and Marcus.
The symbols on the doors make sowewhat of a case for Donovan.

Hypothectially, if a handshake *was* to be seen in a screen-capture
I wouldn't post it on the internet...(Shhh-it's a secret!) ;)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Ah, my Free Mason Theory. :cool:

I have been updating my studies on the Free Masons, Rex Deus, The Knights Templars as well as other areas conspiratorial concepts. I was going to use it in my posts to the Crusade thread developing, as well as in the Fan Fiction thread. The whole handshake thing is such brouhaha. We've never, I mean...they never had such a thing.

LaoChe

Pale Horse said:
The whole handshake thing is such brouhaha. We've never, I mean...they never had such a thing.

Not true. There really IS a handshake, just a way to identify yourself to other masons. Its clever too, because if you've ever received a mason handshake, you probably didn't even notice -- unless you knew what it was!