Special Edition Truck Chase?

Tsar

SterankoII said:
So can people at least describe what's been changed? Did they change the matte painting? The vehicles look different? What?

The entire cliff is CG; as the camera pans down following the falling car, you see can clearly see it. From the seconds I saw it, the car also looked brand spanking new CG.

SterankoII

Me too. I refuse to believe they would feel the need to change this:

making_r_63.jpg

Especially, just for USA Network and from what I've heard it's still unchanged in the new DVD that came out today!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mwx55I1efJE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mwx55I1efJE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

oki9Sedo

Agent Spalko said:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mwx55I1efJE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mwx55I1efJE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Is that the new one? I can't see any difference. But I'm not familiar enough with the shot to say so I'm not saying there's no difference.

Kooshmeister

No, it isn't. That clip's been up for a while. And no, I don't think we're going to get a clip or a screenshot anytime soon. :(

Personally though, I'm just going to believe that people are seeing things and it's got something to do with how USA aired the film.

Last edited:

Kooshmeister

I know I risk getting in trouble with the mods, but when someone tells me this rudely to mind my own business....

ResidentAlien said:
You always go sticking your nose in other's affairs?

Your debate with Darth Vile is completely public, not to mention it's actually somewhat on-topic in terms of directors changing things (and their motivations for doing so), therefore it's the business of everyone who bothers to read this thread.

ResidentAlien said:
No, he attacked me, and he provoked me. The discussion was very calm until he came at me in post # 86 by condescending and flagrantly attacking what was a perfectly fair argument.

Actually, in that post, he attacked Ridley Scott, not you, and said he thought Scott was mostly interested in the monetary end of things, which isn't entirely unreasonable to assume.

So, unless you're extremely sensitive about Ridley Scott's integrity as a moviemaker, there's little I can see that Darth Vile did to provoke you.

Last edited:

Michael24

SterankoII said:
Me too. I refuse to believe they would feel the need to change this:

making_r_63.jpg

Especially, just for USA Network and from what I've heard it's still unchanged in the new DVD that came out today!

I believe in the new version of that shot the river down below isn't even seen anymore. Or, if it is, not quite as prominent.

I don't know why some people are refusing to believe a change has been made. If several people are saying they've seen the new CGI version, then it's obvious a change has been made. It still looks similar to the original matte painting shot, but it's noticeably new and different.

SterankoII

I believe in the new version of that shot the river down below isn't even seen anymore. Or, if it is, not quite as prominent.

I don't know why some people are refusing to believe a change has been made. If several people are saying they've seen the new CGI version, then it's obvious a change has been made. It still looks similar to the original matte painting shot, but it's noticeably new and different.

I don't get it. Is it a different matte painting in the USA Network version or not?

Michael24

The scene you posted is the regular version, though. It doesn't have the new "USA CGI" version of the shot.

oki9Sedo said:
Because nobody has bothered their arse to actually UPLOAD the damn thing, after nine pages.

No one was probably recording it since they already have it on DVD and didn't expect it. Once it airs again as part of the USA Indy marathon on the 18th(?) somebody will likely have it up, hopefully as a comparison with the original shot to show the difference.

But, I saw it on back-to-back nights and yes, the shot is different. :)

Kooshmeister

Agent Spalko said:
I just did. I was wondering if anybody would notice the change. Guess not. :D

I just watched that clip, and the shot of the car falling looks the same to me. Likely because that clip has been on YouTube for some time prior to the USA airing, and was likely ripped from the (first) DVD.

God'sRadio

Michael24 said:

Pan and scanned perhaps? Image enlarged and so looks a little different?

Michael24

Even when it was on TV in pan-and-scan it was still noticeable somewhat. The camera move was also much more elaborate, whereas now the move seems more subtle and not as drastic.

In the original, the live-action elements with the truck stood out a little bit from the matte painting around it. The new shot looks more clean and polished, the way such a shot would look if the movie was made nowadays. It doesn't necessarily look better or worse, I think, just a little different.

All disbelievers will see soon enough that a new shot does exist. Hopefully somebody will have it up on or after the 18th. Then they can decide if they like the new version or not. :)

SterankoII

I don't think it was panned and scanned because when I did catch some of the Indy movies airing on USA network, they were letterboxed. I wish had watched the whole thing just to see for myself if anything had been changed.

Tsar

The USA version was CLEARLY CG! The entire cliff was a 3D model, it was not a sharpened or tweaked version of the matte painting, it was a completely different shot. This shot does not appear in the Special Edition DVDs.

I read in the USA thread that several people were planning on Tivo'ing the USA broadcast, did anyone do it?