Why did the chicken cross the road in Indy IV?... Because they get stereotyped!

Anunnaki

That's right folks, just ask our friends from Peru and Russia, Indy IV is a film that keeps the stereotyping in Hollywood alive and well. Sadly, for most Hollywood types, the world consists of the US surrounded by a vast, nebulous mystery-land. I know, I know... this subject matter here has already been discussed here and elsewhere on the net. But my topic deals with something in particular...

Now first let me say that I love Indy IV. It's my personal favorite after Raiders. Yes, I liked it even better than Temple and Last Crusade. But my beef with the film is in regards to those dang chickens that ?adorn? the streets of Cusco.

It's no secret. Hollywood absolutely loves to portrays Latin American countries as places where chickens run wild, without a care in the world. They have this belief that chickens on the loose add a lot of that ?atmosphere? that says ?gringo, you're not in Kansas anymore. You're in the third world now!?

But such logic behind that imagery doesn't convince me. What it says to me is this: Hollywood writers believe that chickens in Latin America are like the sacred cows in India. That they can somehow walk the freakin' Earth untouched.

I dunno... If the native people seen in all those movies were as dirt poor as they are portrayed, those dang chickens wouldn't last 2 seconds on the streets and would end up on a frying pan. I'm pretty sure most humans living South of the border know that them chickens make for some mighty good eatin'.

I've been to quite a few Latin American countries in my life. I've been to Mexico, Central America and Argentina. And I'm not talking about just walking around in the touristy areas. But also in the very poor areas. Sure, some of the people living in the rural areas have their chickens walking freely about in their modest homes... but the critters are always kept behind a fence of some sort. NEVER have I seen chickens moving about freely on the streets. I did see a lot of stray dogs, though. Incredibly hungry dogs with their bones protruding from their bodies. I wonder how long a chicken would last living in such streets.

Anyhoo... I just had to slap my forehead when I saw that scene in Indy IV where Indy and Mutt walk around in what is supposed to be the imaginary Nazca Airport. Let see... You have the Regional Mexican music blasting in the background (In Peru? Yeah it doesn't make sense.. but then again most Americans think Mexico is the source of every hispanic and latino on Earth). Check. The men with sombreros with dirty faces. Check. Vehicles full of people riding with their animals. Check. Oh yes, those darn chickens running wild again. Perfect!

I know it's just a movie... but the Indiana Jones films aren't just any old type of flicks. They get seen by billions and billions of people (as Carl Sagan would say :p ).

And the fact that the TV series actually tried to be accurate with the way they handled history, made me believe that unlike the other films Indy IV would at least be equally respectful, fair and accurate as the series was (for the most part).

As it is, Indy IV makes for a great popcorn movie. Just not a good teaching tool to make kids learn about history or archeology... or how to take good care of chickens.

Okay, that was my rant... don't like me rantin'? Go fluff some couch pillows.

Peace! :D

Mrs_Fedora

Your'e absolutely right. But that always happens in movies.. You must know that there are a lot of people who have never been to these countries. And that's why filmmakers stereotype lots of things to make it more real and recognizable.
I know what you mean, i'm Dutch and everytime i watch a movie where they go to Holland or speak about Holland, it's always about doing drugs, the red light district, clogs, windmills, tulips and cheese. Like we don't have anything better to do.. ;)
On the other hand, you can't blame the filmmakers. Most of the people who watch these movies only went to see Amsterdam (Amsterdam = Holland for those people) and they don't know any better than that we have legal drugs and tulips. Too bad though, it's a nice country if you look outside the capital.

Same as we think all Americans are obese, melodramatic and only want to go to war, the French only eat cheese and the Germans zpeak like zis, only drink beer and eat too much bratwurst.

Jones_Happens

Mrs_Fedora said:
I vote for the Bond Against Chicken Stereotyping! ;)

Kidding, i like chickens............ with gravy ;)
I like chickens too! Especially when they are breaded, deep fried, and served on a bun.

Michael24

Dovchenko said:
I like chickens too! Especially when they are breaded, deep fried, and served on a bun.
Haha!! Reminds me of a bumper sticker my uncle used to have. Whenever he'd see somebody with a PETA sticker on their car, he'd make sure he pulled infront of them so they could see it: "I Love Animals... They're Delicious!" :whip:

Agent Z

There are strong portrayals of chickens, such as Camilla from "The Muppet Show":

Camilla.jpg

Mrs_Fedora

Michael24 said:
Haha!! Reminds me of a bumper sticker my uncle used to have. Whenever he'd see somebody with a PETA sticker on their car, he'd make sure he pulled infront of them so they could see it: "I Love Animals... They're Delicious!" :whip:

hahaha i'm almost ashamed to make such jokes about chickens. I mean i really DO like them, i even have two lovely chickens at home... no really! they are real chickens!
I had three but one died some weeks ago, and no, i didn't eat her by the way...

Anunnaki

Mrs_Fedora said:
Your'e absolutely right. But that always happens in movies.. You must know that there are a lot of people who have never been to these countries. And that's why filmmakers stereotype lots of things to make it more real and recognizable.
I know what you mean, i'm Dutch and everytime i watch a movie where they go to Holland or speak about Holland, it's always about doing drugs, the red light district, clogs, windmills, tulips and cheese. Like we don't have anything better to do.. ;)
On the other hand, you can't blame the filmmakers. Most of the people who watch these movies only went to see Amsterdam (Amsterdam = Holland for those people) and they don't know any better than that we have legal drugs and tulips. Too bad though, it's a nice country if you look outside the capital.

Same as we think all Americans are obese, melodramatic and only want to go to war, the French only eat cheese and the Germans zpeak like zis, only drink beer and eat too much bratwurst.

LOL yup. That's how Hollywood sees the world.

The thing to remember is that the people responsible for the stereotyping are the fat chumps doing the typing behind the scenes: the writers.

These guys do their "research" by picking up an outdated book from the 1950's or they take the easy way out and go to the EPCOT theme park and pretend that they're in a different country. Maybe they will travel to the country they are supposed to be writing about but will rarely leave the hotel they're staying in. The extremely laughable work they produce seems to indicate that.

In regards to the chickens and this topic. Some ppl here think this is for the defense and dignity of our feathered friends. My answer: Hell no!

I see chickens = I cook 'em. Heck, I was eating a chicken nugget while watching "Chicken Run".

The topic was about the idiotic and rIdIKuLaS stereotypes that Hollywood still dishes out in modern cinema. With chickens running wild on the streets of every Latin American country being one of them. I still can't believe Spielberg was ok with that overdone cliché.

But overall, Indy IV was a good and fun movie. I hope Indy V starts to show a more realistic world. Where commies weren't as bad as some CIA agents and Peru isn't a small province of Mexico. here's hoping.

Vance

Hell, Hollywood stereotypes anything outside of Hollywood. Even East LA doesn't escape the stereotyping Hollywood doles out, much less when you get to 'fly-over land', and then - heaven forfend, other countries.

Honestly, the same American social elites that demand everyone be open, honest, and tolerant of all things are the very ones who perpetuate the worst in racism, sexism, and ill-concieved stereotypes in the world.

Anunnaki

Vance said:
Hell, Hollywood stereotypes anything outside of Hollywood. Even East LA doesn't escape the stereotyping Hollywood doles out, much less when you get to 'fly-over land', and then - heaven forfend, other countries.

Honestly, the same American social elites that demand everyone be open, honest, and tolerant of all things are the very ones who perpetuate the worst in racism, sexism, and ill-concieved stereotypes in the world.

And the reason Hollywood delivers such stereotypes is because of the dumb arse writers. I mean, if they happen to drive around East LA they do it fast. Non-stop. They don't even look at the residents in the eye. So if they get the job of writing about East LA they simply imagine how it could be like. And you can bet they will throw some chickens gone wild into the mix!

Some chickenz 4 dah homies! :D