Why did the chicken cross the road in Indy IV?... Because they get stereotyped!

Kingsley

Agent Spalko said:
Why did Williams use Mexican Mariachi music in Peru? :confused:
I was upset with all this stuff too, but jtobin, who appears in that scene, gave an explanation that made sense, and I can accept it now...

the whole scene is an homage to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, which took place in Mexico. So, in a way, Spielberg is just recreating a latinamerican street like those we saw in that classic hollywod movie. With all and its stereotypes.

eshine

Yeah, I too was bothered by the offensive steriotypes in this movie - particularly the Alien. He just looks so, I don't know, Alien...

LOL - no offense dude - but you are sure riled up over a complete non-issue.

It's a frickin movie...

Travis85

I don't think the movie really portrayed the 'commie's' as evil really :p And besides, they weren't in the movie as bad guy communists, they were in it as bad guy soviets, which was the USA's arch rival during that time period. It actually showed a more balanced view with the anti-communist rallies and reference to anti-communist hysteria during the movie. As for stereotyping, I think you will find that in all countries movies, it just that hollywood movies tend to be more internationally popular and it stands out more. A lot of European movies display stereotypes of Americans. Chinese movies that feature Europeans and Americans often portray them as blatant stereotypes :) As for the chickens, I don't know about that, but I do know from a friend who has been to Brazil that they they did have lots of stray dogs running around, as well as dead animals of all types hanging in the market places :p.

gear01

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Because he was hiding in a lead-lined refrigerator
and a nuclear blast flew him across!

eshine

Well - thank you, Anunnaki and "Agent Spalko"

for finally shedding light on the endless suffering of Peruvian chickens and their gross mis-representaion in Summer blockbusters.

I feel enlightened.