Who are the vintage or Potential Vintage Indy Kenner Collectors here?

deckard24

Edward The Head said:
There is a board for trading. It's just very dead.

http://www.raidersofthelosttoys.com/boards/
I forgot about that site, thanks man! Too bad though it's dead!

What do you guys think, rather then trying to find a place to trade, would selling my newer IJ stuff on eBay and then buying the remaining vintage figures be the best bet? Like I said earlier I've accumulated quite a bit of the new stuff, for the most part virtually all of it! I would ideally want to sell it in bulk as one collection, instead of piece by piece.

monkey man

You'd have to give alot of the newer figures away Deckard.
You could probably get your $$$ back on some of the new stuff but why sell the TOD or LC figures? Those are keepers for Indy fans.
Everybody's rushing to sell now. The market's flooded.
Keep them. Put some $$$ aside a little at a time and get the Kenner figures. You can fill in the missing parts of your Kenner collection pretty easily. Try to find figures in nice shape. Do you need the accessories? I did.

Just friendly advice. Keep the new ones. Get the Kenner figures.

deckard24

monkey man said:
You'd have to give alot of the newer figures away Deckard.
You could probably get your $$$ back on some of the new stuff but why sell the TOD or LC figures? Those are keepers for Indy fans.
Everybody's rushing to sell now. The market's flooded.
Keep them. Put some $$$ aside a little at a time and get the Kenner figures. You can fill in the missing parts of your Kenner collection pretty easily. Try to find figures in nice shape. Do you need the accessories? I did.

Just friendly advice. Keep the new ones. Get the Kenner figures.
You're probably right!:hat:

In the case of the vintage figures I'd need both the figures and the accessories. I know there are some repro weapons out there so that's an option.

Ideally I'd love to sell all of my Star Wars collection minus a few vintage pieces in order to fund the vintage Indy collection. I have a ton of collectibles from over the years, and honestly the only few things I'd like to keep are the Vintage Indy line, a few of the better Vintage Star Wars pieces, my NECA 18" LOTR figures, and my McFarlane Jaws diorama! Other then that I'd sell it all in a heartbeat, and for a reasonable price! I've been thinking about Craig's List, but I don't know how great an option that is, and then there's always eBay but that might be a ton of work.

Saber79

Yeah I sold a ton of the newer Star Wars stuff to fund my Indy collection. I managed to snag an original Raiders poster with Ansel art with that cash.

* Side note - I just received my '82 Belloq Mail Away figure today, came in the original box and mailer bag....totally awesome!

UIMJ

Saber79 said:
I managed to snag an original Raiders poster with Ansel art with that cash.

That's very cool, man! And it's even better that you landed something that neat by getting rid of real crap stuff (let's be honest, it's like a blessing when you've finally rid your life of anything Star Wars except for maybe the movies...).

(y)

Saber79

Haha you're right...although I am keeping the vintage Kenner Star Wars Stuff and my posters...but the rest can go the way of the dodo...all for Indy stuff and supplies to (attempt to) make Indy props.

deckard24

Saber79 said:
Yeah I sold a ton of the newer Star Wars stuff to fund my Indy collection. I managed to snag an original Raiders poster with Ansel art with that cash.

* Side note - I just received my '82 Belloq Mail Away figure today, came in the original box and mailer bag....totally awesome!
How did you sell your stuff Saber79, because I need all the help I can get?

Saber79

I pretty much just grouped everything into a big pile and sold it as a collection on ebay. I took tons of pictures and described every figure (approx 115 figs). The key was to have a low starting bid, and I just watched the bidding climb. I had some MOMC figures and some really hard to find figures in the mix which added to the hunt I suppose...final cost with shipping ($10 flat shipping fee) was $150.35. Not a bad hit. I also had the auction up for 10 days. Hope it helps ;)

deckard24

Saber79 said:
I pretty much just grouped everything into a big pile and sold it as a collection on ebay. I took tons of pictures and described every figure (approx 115 figs). The key was to have a low starting bid, and I just watched the bidding climb. I had some MOMC figures and some really hard to find figures in the mix which added to the hunt I suppose...final cost with shipping ($10 flat shipping fee) was $150.35. Not a bad hit. I also had the auction up for 10 days. Hope it helps ;)
Thanks!:hat:

The problem for me is I have a ton of carded and loose figures from the POTF 1997 Line through the ROTS 2005 Line, as well as some vehicles and the entire Unleashed line(6" versions not the miniatures). I also have a decent amount of vintage Star Wars figures, ships, playsets, etc... that need to go as well. Then there's the LOTR figures which I have virtually all of MOC, but I'll probably hold onto all of them and try to sell them when The Hobbit comes out!

My biggest dilemma is how to sell it all in bulk, and how much to sell it for, because the blue book value for this stuff is in the thousands and I don't want to completely lose my shirt in the process. I'd estimate what I have is worth $2,500 or more, and I guess I'd settle for a $1000, but under that would kind of suck! I might have to take less though, because I honestly have no more room for all this stuff!

Saber79

Yeah I hear ya, I know how it is. I didn't have room either and I figured I'd concentrate my collection more on my true passion: Indy.

I would break it up into categories- LOTR figures, SW Unleashed, SW POTF and so on...it may be easier to control and on certain collections you may pull more $$ separately than all together. I've noticed that people will buy a collection more if the whole thing was geared to a specific theme. My collection that I sold was just 1995-present POTF, Shadows, EpsI, II, III, and the classics Line, labeled as "Entire '95-present Star Wars Collection - must go!"

Your other choice can be to bring your stuff to a comic book or a vintage toy shop and see what they would pay for it...nine times out of 10 they will throw you a lowball. May take some negotiating but you could come away with some decent cash.

deckard24

Saber79 said:
Yeah I hear ya, I know how it is. I didn't have room either and I figured I'd concentrate my collection more on my true passion: Indy.

I would break it up into categories- LOTR figures, SW Unleashed, SW POTF and so on...it may be easier to control and on certain collections you may pull more $$ separately than all together. I've noticed that people will buy a collection more if the whole thing was geared to a specific theme. My collection that I sold was just 1995-present POTF, Shadows, EpsI, II, III, and the classics Line, labeled as "Entire '95-present Star Wars Collection - must go!"

Your other choice can be to bring your stuff to a comic book or a vintage toy shop and see what they would pay for it...nine times out of 10 they will throw you a lowball. May take some negotiating but you could come away with some decent cash.
Thanks for the tips!

Yeah I tried the comic book shop approach with a ton of my other stuff I sold, and yeah they lowballed me big time! Sounds like eBay might be the best bet, especially if I break it up in themed collections like you suggested.

Did you set a price or just let people bid?

Saber79

Anytime!

I set a low bidding price of $15, just to draw the moths to the flame so to speak. Luckily many people caught it and the bid just grew. You may want to go a bit higher since you're expecting to hit a virtual payday...I just wanted to dump them and clear some space, not really caring what I got for it.

Maybe start at $50 on some of the things like the vintage stuff, POTF etc.
and remember, the more pictures and detailed description, the better response.

Good luck!

deckard24

Saber79 said:
Anytime!

I set a low bidding price of $15, just to draw the moths to the flame so to speak. Luckily many people caught it and the bid just grew. You may want to go a bit higher since you're expecting to hit a virtual payday...I just wanted to dump them and clear some space, not really caring what I got for it.

Maybe start at $50 on some of the things like the vintage stuff, POTF etc.
and remember, the more pictures and detailed description, the better response.

Good luck!
Thanks again!:hat:

Saber79

I just won myself the complete Streets of Cairo playset from ebay. (all loose but Excellent condition) for just $40!....Now I can't wait till this arrives

I was going crazy just trying to find a Monkey Man figure, but now I've got the set!

Indy fan 235

The only vintage Indy toys I own are the ones I had when I was a kid. In grammar school I traded a kid two bags of onion rings for his Indy ROLTA figure. Best trade I ever made.

I wish I could afford the vintage stuff on cards though.

Goonie

Eventually, I'd like to start acquiring the whole vintage line. But right now I'm focusing on the current Hasbro line, which, since it's now dead, could also be considered vintage. :rolleyes:

I like the old playsets like the Well of the Souls; something Hasro should have resurrected for the current line. And the Ark had carrying poles! (y)

UIMJ

Crack that whip said:
Hey, what are still-packaged Toht figures from the original Kenner 3 3/4" line going for these days?

They are pretty much a dime a dozen. If you luck out and have a bidding war then you might see 30 bucks or so, but that doesn't seem to be typical. I've been watching the vintage stuff a lot lately in an effort to pick up the last loose, complete figure I need.

Crack that whip

I'm just wondering whether, say, $20 or so is reasonable to ask.

I'm actually thinking not of putting it on eBay but of just offering it here for trade, for one or two of the smaller Indy LEGO sets (so that if someone can find them cheaper than I can, he or she might score the figure for a nice deal, while I'd still get a satisfying exchange for the figure - I do have all the regular $10 and $20 sets, but I'd like duplicates and it's somehow easier for me to justify trading for them than spending money on them)...

UIMJ

Crack that whip said:
I'm just wondering whether, say, $20 or so is reasonable to ask.

I'm actually thinking not of putting it on eBay but of just offering it here for trade, for one or two of the smaller Indy LEGO sets (so that if someone can find them cheaper than I can, he or she might score the figure for a nice deal, while I'd still get a satisfying exchange for the figure - I do have all the regular $10 and $20 sets, but I'd like duplicates and it's somehow easier for me to justify trading for them than spending money on them)...

I think 20 bucks for a MOC Thot is a pretty reasonable asking price, yeah. Unless you see a bidding war on the 'bay, they usually sell for about that from what I've seen.

You have to remember that Thot was the Kenner Mutt w/o Jacket - the pegwarmer back in the day. Although even the early 80
s peg warmers are more scarce than any toy produced today...