"Sex" too hot for Indiana Jones at box office

Goonie

"Sex" too hot for Indiana Jones at box office

Sat May 31, 12:57 PM

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - In a major upset at the North American box office, the four cosmo-swilling fashionistas of "Sex and the City" whipped reigning champ Indiana Jones in the film's first day in theaters, according to preliminary estimates issued on Saturday.

The big-screen adaptation of the groundbreaking HBO comedy sold about $26.9 million worth of tickets across the United States and Canada on Friday, distributor Warner Bros. Pictures said.

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" followed with about $12 million, according to tracking firm Box Office Mojo. The film's distributor, Paramount Pictures, declined to comment.
Full article:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080531/entertainment/entertainment_boxoffice_col

C'mon people! Hit your local theaters and support your favourite adventurer!

|ZiR|

Wow. I am irrationally angry over this, and the article itself. Like, you have no idea how enraged I am right now.

Also,

In a major upset at the North American box office, the four cosmo-swilling fashionistas of "Sex and the City" whipped reigning champ Indiana Jones in the film's first day in theaters, according to preliminary estimates issued on Saturday.

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE, DEAN GOODMAN!!

Quickening

I hate Sex and the City but Im willing to bet that it's a better made film than Kingdom and therefore deserves it.

Turtle

Apparentely, the huge Cinema in the city (which I have very little time for, my local small cinema must be the last cheap first-run cinema in the world, god bless it) is showing this on all but two of their 30 screens.

And it was sold out.

Why? I've seen the show, I hated it. Must be a girl thing.

Agent Z

Quickening said:
I hate Sex and the City but Im willing to bet that it's a better made film than Kingdom and therefore deserves it.

It's getting more negative reviews from the mainstream critics and is holding a 55% at rottentomatoes.

When it comes to box office returns, very few films that deserve the business get it and vice versa.

DocWhiskey

a HBO Chick Flick "Whips" Indy 4 at the box office?

C'mon, Sarah Jessica Parker's face looks like a foot!

What sort of cruel Hell is this?

Turtle

DocWhiskey said:
C'mon, Sarah Jessica Parker's face looks like a foot!

The thing is, it doesn't even look like a nice foot. It's one of those feet with dry skin and flaky bits.

I think this film is gaining the money simply because girls (surely it is mostly girls, yeah?) who never even had an interest in the show, for some reason are excited about it - perhaps getting caught up in all the strange hype that exists around it.

My own girlfriend, who has never seen the series, is dragging me to it on Monday. But I forced her to agree that we go see Indy again straight after it (to wash away the Sex in The City-Ness)

Agent Z

I don't know why people are surprised or losing sleep over box office numbers, especially domestic totals.

If there is anything I've learned, mainstream filmgoers, for the most part, want the easiest entertainment for their brains....it's why we see films like Wild Hogs pull in blockbuster bucks.

commontone

Hmm...disappointing.

But I've watched the show. As someone who is neither gay nor a woman, I watched the show casually and kind of liked it. It's not bad. I have no interest in New York fashion, advice columns or any of that crap, but the show is well done, well-acted. It's your typical tv show, with swearing (HBO) and some funny Seinfeld-like situations and hey, some attractive women.

I'm not going to see the movie, and will probably never sit down and watch it again. But it's stupid to start trashing sex and the city. It is what it is, and some people like it, and it's not terrible. And those people have also been waiting quite a while for their movie.

DocWhiskey

Turtle said:
My own girlfriend, who has never seen the series, is dragging me to it on Monday. But I forced her to agree that we go see Indy again straight after it (to wash away the Sex in The City-Ness)

*Ahsps* Very Dangerous. But you have a plan, so that's good.

To be honest, I haven't seen a single trailer, TV spot, or poster for this movie. Hell, I didn't even know it came out already. Are producers emitting special female sonar signals that call them to the theater?

fixer79

Benraianajones said:
I am gay and I went to see Indiana Jones...3 times! ;)

Thaaat's the spirit! :)

According to IMDB.com, 'Sex and the City' is worth 3.8/10...

Truly painful that Indy gets his behind kicked by this...

I hope this won't happen in the rest of the world too. The 'Sex and the City' tv show was pretty popular everywhere...

Y'know what? I'm gonna go to my local theater and whip everyone who tries to go see 'Sex and the City' ... :p

Sankara

I don't like "Sex and the City" but I guess it's a better film than "Kingdom". If "Indy 4" was such as great as "Raiders", "Temple" or "Crusade" - "Sex and the City" has no change against "Indy $" in his second week

But: Most critics are bad, and most most people think "Indy 4" is embarrassing against the old Indy-Movies... this is why "Sex and the City" is success...

Benraianajones

The reason it is being viewed more is because there is a very recent series of it on TV, where as, Indiana Jones is an "underground" franchise from the 80s for most unless you are a big fan. Most are bound to be interested in the most popular thing at the time.

Wittmann

bad word of mouth about Indy 4 contributes a lot. Strong opening at the box office but then dropped like a rock, just like the ratings.

btw, I also despise SATC.

Agent Z

In all fairness, in this day and age, not many films keep up the pace for the second week. Dropoffs are to be expected and even the biggest summer films live and die on their opening weekend burst.

Man, when I was a kid, a movie would play ALL summer...for months on end. Those were the days....

Crack that whip

Agent Z is entirely correct; this is to be expected. And Sex and the City is a very popular series - it might be completely off the radar of most of the posters here, but it has a huge following all the same, and the end of the TV series' run was the major event in entertainment news at the time it happened. The movie has been pretty heavily anticipated by lots of people.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is still in plenty of theaters, and we'll all be able to see it for weeks, even months. Whether it retains the top slot at the weekly box office for one or two or even three weeks isn't really important, nor is it really important whether it's the top-grossing movie of the year. I wouldn't sweat it. Just go enjoy Indy and let the fans of SatC do the same with their beloved franchise in peace.