"Sex" too hot for Indiana Jones at box office

sandiegojones

Those #'s were just Friday and according to what I read there was a lot of pre-sold tickets online (yes likely women and gays) in major cities like NY, SF (go figure) and LA. People in the mid-west I'm sure aren't lining up for it. Single women and their gay friends will come out in droves on Friday night and then it'll taper off Sat & Sun.

Box office analysts expect Indy to pick up ground over the weekend as families will go see it, especially ones who were out of town last holiday weekend. It has NOTHING to do with word of mouth as people will see it for themselves to decide. Big movies like these have an audience who wish to make up their own mind. Everyone I know likes it.

DarthGemni

Agent Z said:
In all fairness, in this day and age, not many films keep up the pace for the second week. Dropoffs are to be expected and even the biggest summer films live and die on their opening weekend burst.

Man, when I was a kid, a movie would play ALL summer...for months on end. Those were the days....

Amen - course when I was a kid VCR's were a thing rich people had, if even them lol..and movies were re-released in the theater every year, like Star Wars and Raiders. But then those were always meant to be theater movies, not scruntched down to a small screen. That, plus tickets weren't $7.75+ for a matinee (SP?).

sandiegojones

Yeah, I'm giving away my age when I say I remember $1.25 matinee prices.

I'd have seen Indy 4 like 10 times already of that were still the case.

Raiders90

Well, one has to remember that there are tons of women that love Sex and the City--it's more mainstream than Indiana Jones. Not only that, but it's been much more visible over the years--it was still on TV only a few years ago and it was big even then. I say it'll have a 1 or 2 week run, than Indy 4 will be back at top.

Also remember that ToD finished in third place for 1984, and LC finished in second. The only Indy film that came in number one for it's year of release was Raiders.

Raider S

When I saw Skull last night (Sat) for a second (and last) time there was a crowd at the 8 pm show - nearly sold-out - but it was sort of an odd crowd; mostly older, some parents with pre-teen kids, and a few middle age couples.

Listening to people leaving, there was a bit of groaning about the film. One woman commented to her mate in a group of friends about how silly the whole thing was. During the film I sensed people enjoyed the first parts but started to get restless at the end. Either it seemed too long or too confusing with the whole alien bit. There were a few laughs but nothing more than some quiet chuckles.

Indy will still draw kids and people curious, but that all important "mall crowd" younder demographic are "too cool" for Skull and will head to that horrible City movie.

One thing that was nice, when I walked in there were some young teen kids in the lobby with an Indy sound FX whip, a cheap fedora, and an Indy ball cap having a good time.

ChromiumBlue37

Sykopathic said:
Just shows how many women and gays are out there going to the movies.

What does this mean, exactly? I am "gay" myself and can't stand this show and have no intention of seeing that movie. "That show" always seems to follow Family Guy. When I hear that ridiculous theme song, it drives me insane an I angrily turn off the TV.

Oh yeah, and I am leaving right now to see KOTCS for my second viewing.

IJ_KELLER

I've sadly accepted that America in general want to see a saga of four airhead sluts. But that won't stop me from seeing what I want to see for the fifth time! :gun: Sex&:whip: the city!

Benraianajones

Agent Spalko said:
With Incredible Hulk and Dark Knight approaching, Indy's day at the box office is at an end.

Spalko, do you like marvel comic movies and the like? I've never really been a fan of that type of super hero movie myself.

sandiegojones

ChromiumBlue37 said:
What does this mean, exactly? I am "gay" myself and can't stand this show and have no intention of seeing that movie. "That show" always seems to follow Family Guy. When I hear that ridiculous theme song, it drives me insane an I angrily turn off the TV.

Oh yeah, and I am leaving right now to see KOTCS for my second viewing.
No offense, but "effeminate" gays are part of that audience. I know a few myself who went with other single women.

Spalko, of course this film can't stay #1 forever and I myself am looking forward to The Dark Knight and the new HULK myself. Indy possibly being #2 (no jokes) this weekend or having declining profits over the course of its run is inevitable, but it doesn't take anything away from it. It still had the second biggest Memorial Day opening which says a lot given higher ticket prices and tougher economic times. Not everyone wants a masterpiece, they just want a fun movie.

James

"Sex" was basically the equivalent of a season finale being screened in theaters. There was a huge surge of interest noted in the past week, via a high percentage of online ticket sales. It was expected to do well, but also expected to be heavily frontloaded.

Last edited:

Dr.Sartorius

If Iron Man or POTC 3 had Sex and the City in its second weekend you know what would have happened? SATC would have won that weekend also...And if you can't realize that you don't know anything about box office.

The fact is Indy 4 will be a huge worldwide success. It will most likely make at least $300 million domestic and anywhere from $500 million to $700 million worldwide.

James

"Sex" ended up dropping 35% on Saturday, while Indy surged back to the #1 spot with nearly $20 million. Overall, Indy is expected to finish with a 54% drop for its sophomore weekend, which is actually higher than even the most generous analysts had predicted. (The previous two blockbusters- At World's End and X-Men 3- experienced declines of 62% and 67%, respectively.)

Source:

http://news.fantasymoguls.com/originalcontent/2008/05/early-box-off-2.html

Forbidden Eye

:sick: Umm, okay...

Is anyone other than middle-aged women and gays really anticipating this movie?

Indy appeals to both genders of all ages, something SATC does not have. I predict slightly big opening, but will go completely Cloverfield on it's following weekends.

Indy will certainly crush it.

S

Satipo

Here are the weekend estimates:

1 SEX AND THE CITY 55.74
2 INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM 46.00
3 THE STRANGERS 20.71
4 IRON MAN 14.00
5 CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE.. 13.02
6 WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS 6.85
7 BABY MAMA 2.22
8 SPEED RACER 2.14
9 MADE OF HONOR 2.00
10 FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL 1.04

As you can see Indy is behind Sex and the City but if you look at the daily breakdown you can see that Indy owned Saturday and Sunday! :whip:

Daily breakdown:

SATC - $55.7m
Friday - $26.1m
Saturday - $18.27m (-30%)
Sunday - $11.33m (-38%)

Indy - $46.0m
Friday - $12.25m
Saturday - $19.6m (+60%)
Sunday - $14.15m (-27.8%)

Dr.Sartorius

MaxPhactor23 said:
He's not being paid off...it's common sense. Dark Knight is the film to beat this summer. I'd be very surprised if Indy managed to do it.

It'll also have to live up to almost as much hype as Indy 4.