General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Kooshmeister

I want to see Soviets as the villains again, this time with Belloq's son helping them. Yes, Belloq has a son, supposedly. Give 'im a first name (Pierre for all I care) and have him assisting the Soviets to try and avenge his father (the book he's mentioned in says he blames Indy for Belloq's death).

Only I'd do a minor twist. The Indy films like to have good guys turn out to be bad guys. Satipo. Chattar Lal. Walter Donovan. Elsa Schneider. Mac. Where's the bad guy who turns good? I'd like to see Belloq Junior, midway through, realize his father was evil (or at least unscrupulous), and that the Soviets are evil, and that he's well on his way to the same self-destruction as his father, and so he turns against the Soviets and helps the Joneses and actually survives the movie.

Afterward he can say something about going on to become legitimate archaeologist, and not the weaselly cheating bastard his dad was, so as to restore the Belloq family name's reputation.

It'd be a good opportunity to do something different with a villain. I just think it'd be nice to see one of them recognize the warning signs and thus avoid an "ironic" death. We've had that four times already. Instead, have some Soviet schmuck get that death, ignoring the same warning signs Belloq Junior heeded.

And, along with Belloq's son, I'd like to see the Belloq ancestral home, Fortress Malevele, from the novels, being rebuilt from when Franz Kroeger shelled it in Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs, and possibly the Daguerre Brothers, working for Belloq's son as they had his father. Imagine Indy taking on two huge guys!

AlivePoet

^ If they took that angle, you'd probably see a fight between Shia and son of Belloq, a neo-take on "my dad is cooler than your dad" kinda deal.

I don't know, personally I'm tired of them making Indy's world smaller by tying everything together. Putting Belloq back in the picture could work (if he wasn't dead), but his son? Who cares about his son, just like who cares about Indy's son? Let's get fresh blood this time!*

*And Sallah.

EddyW

AlivePoet said:
^ If they took that angle, you'd probably see a fight between Shia and son of Belloq, a neo-take on "my dad is cooler than your dad" kinda deal.

I don't know, personally I'm tired of them making Indy's world smaller by tying everything together. Putting Belloq back in the picture could work (if he wasn't dead), but his son? Who cares about his son, just like who cares about Indy's son? Let's get fresh blood this time!*

*And Sallah.

I feel the same way. Indy is an ADVENTURER! That means exploring, meeting new people. Sallah and Indy have such a good friendship that he is the only character I would like to see returning. Other then him, new characters please!

Kooshmeister

Mutt being Indy's son, and Belloq having a son, are two different things. The former had no plot impact whatsoever whereas the latter would in theory have something to do with the story.

Mutt being Indy's son added nothing to the story of Crystal Skull. You could honestly cut it out completely and the story would remain unchanged. He'd just be Indy's stepson at the end, instead. Which, in hindsight, would've been a lot more interesting. Maybe then people wouldn't see Mutt as such a Mary Sue.

Meanwhile, Belloq having a son would be a driving force in the plot, and actually have a point to it.

It's a shame and I think the pointless revelation about Mutt's heritage has soured people on the idea of "son of so-and-so." That and it is a little trite, but it's all in what you do with it, story-wise. They did nothing with Mutt-as-Indy's-son, whereas a lot could be done with a son of Belloq, as described above. Handled right it could be interesting.

And if not used in the film, I'd at least like to see this angle used in a book or a comic. It deserves some kind of attention, even if it isn't the main focus.

graz

There are some confusing 'hearsay' type stories doing the rounds at the moment. The Express newspaper in Britain reported that Indy is set to return before Harrison turns 70. They are quoting an 'insider' as saying it will begin shooting next year for a 2011 release. However they also mention Shia's comments at the Transformers premiere.

I don't know if there is any real substance to these stories or whether its just cobbling bits and bobs together.:)

mister64

Kooshmeister said:
I want to see Soviets as the villains again, this time with Belloq's son helping them. Yes, Belloq has a son, supposedly. Give 'im a first name (Pierre for all I care) and have him assisting the Soviets to try and avenge his father (the book he's mentioned in says he blames Indy for Belloq's death).

Only I'd do a minor twist. The Indy films like to have good guys turn out to be bad guys. Satipo. Chattar Lal. Walter Donovan. Elsa Schneider. Mac. Where's the bad guy who turns good? I'd like to see Belloq Junior, midway through, realize his father was evil (or at least unscrupulous), and that the Soviets are evil, and that he's well on his way to the same self-destruction as his father, and so he turns against the Soviets and helps the Joneses and actually survives the movie.

Afterward he can say something about going on to become legitimate archaeologist, and not the weaselly cheating bastard his dad was, so as to restore the Belloq family name's reputation.

It'd be a good opportunity to do something different with a villain. I just think it'd be nice to see one of them recognize the warning signs and thus avoid an "ironic" death. We've had that four times already. Instead, have some Soviet schmuck get that death, ignoring the same warning signs Belloq Junior heeded.

And, along with Belloq's son, I'd like to see the Belloq ancestral home, Fortress Malevele, from the novels, being rebuilt from when Franz Kroeger shelled it in Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs, and possibly the Daguerre Brothers, working for Belloq's son as they had his father. Imagine Indy taking on two huge guys!

I like your idea of a villian switching sides to the good guys and surviving. That would come off a a surprise to viewers. There still needs to be a strong villain or two who can get killed by the artifact, but that shouldn't be a problem since Lucas and Spielberg like to have more than one memorable main villain(ROTLA-Belloq, Toht; TLC-Vogel, Donovan; KOTCS-Dovchenko, Spalko; TOD-Mola Ram, ??? was he the only one (Pat Roach's character doesn't count as a "main" villain)).

Echo22

Indy V

Assuming that this story gets made (and hoping that it does) my guess is that there will be some sort of love interest for Mutt, (someone fairly well-known) and that character will use him to get to his father - or help the real villains get to Indy. But as the story unfolds and the villains show their true colors, the young female lead will turn to the good side, help Indy and turn on the villains. Much like Elsa - but surviving in the end.
I have a strong feeling that this will happen. They seem to be relishing in parallels between the Indy/Mutt and Indy/Henry Sr. storylines. My guess is that the next movie will be a great deal like Last Crusade. Even more than the last one. It's sort of inevitable, if you think about it.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Johnny Nys said:
When you say someone fairly well-known, do you mean as an actress or as a character?

I'm presuming he means as an actress, as I can't really think of any characters in the Indy world of the proper age and characteristics to do that.

peterlally

/QUOTE]

Indeed. Respectfully, it's unlikely your "local radio station" has a scoop that all the other countless outlets, websites, papers, TV stations, programs, etc. just all happened to miss.[/QUOTE]

Indeed Real Radio made an annoucement on their news program this afternoon that Indy 5 had been officially announced for a December 2010 release. They are just repeating rumours in thier own journalist ways.

If it hit the news at 6 on BBC then i'll believe it.

If you contact the press room at Lucasfilm they will say there are not currently any plans for another Indiana Jones film

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Ford Gearing Up for Indy 5 in 2011

Indy 5 will be riding around 2011 or so

Well the character of Indiana Jones just celebrated his 110 birthday (born July 1, 1899 in Princeton, New Jersey) and the man that plays him will be turning 67 on July 13, but all together it's a fine age for big screen adventure.

The Insider is reporting that Ford will play the famed archaeologist for "one last adventure", and it will be around 2011 (though I am betting 2012).

Rumors and remarks have been flying around from Indy producer Frank Marshall and co-star Shia LeBeouf for several weeks and now we have word that the man who makes it all possible will be donning the fedora one more time.

Read the report for yourself at The Insider ( http://www.theinsider.com/news/2358604_Harrison_Ford_set_to_play_Indiana_Jones_again ) and start oiling that whip and dusting off the leather jacket Indyfans!

Kevin

Mitchellhallock said:
The Insider is reporting ...

Not quite I'm afraid. Note the disclaimer at the bottom of the story: This posting was submitted by a user of the site not from The Insider editorial staff

I hope its true, but it seems strange that the story does not cite any sources.

deckard24

Kevin said:
Agreed.

I know he'll be only 69 going on 70 when filming starts, but I can't help but think, the sooner they get to it the better.

Morning Bell

Kevin said:
Not quite I'm afraid. Note the disclaimer at the bottom of the story: This posting was submitted by a user of the site not from The Insider editorial staff

I've noticed a lot of these stories popping up but unfortunately they seem to have little credibility or any real sources tied to them. Hopefully we'll get an official announcement soon and it'll put all of our doubts to rest.

Don't be too worried, when he divorces Calista he'll NEED the Indy VI paycheck!

Indy VI!

Wow who knew!

I can't wait!

This will be the one where Harrison Ford gets his way and kills off his character!

I'm sure it will be an ultimate sacrifice

He'll get his Shatner moment and we'll all die a little inside.

(Is Harrison Ford OUR generation's William Shatner? ...for another thread.)

deckard24

Rocket Surgeon said:
Don't be too worried, when he divorces Calista he'll NEED the Indy VI paycheck!

Indy VI!

Wow who knew!

I can't wait!

This will be the one where Harrison Ford gets his way and kills off his character!

I'm sure it will be an ultimate sacrifice

He'll get his Shatner moment and we'll all die a little inside.

(Is Harrison Ford OUR generation's William Shatner? ...for another thread.)
When he starts doing Priceline commercials, I'll start worrying.