Unused Script Idea: Indy's 13 YO daughter?

ATMachine

Thought this might be of some interest--it's posted here and not in the Literature section since this is the spoiler forum.

The new book The Complete Making of Indiana Jones says that once Marion was introduced into the Indy 4 script, Lucas and Spielberg wanted to add their love child as well--initially in the form of a thirteen-year-old daughter for Indy. (George Hall fans, you can begin your mourning service for this dead idea now.)

The book also says that Spielberg eventually vetoed the daughter because she was too similar to the character of Jeff Goldblum's daughter in his film The Lost World.

However, the Making notes that while Frank Darabont was the writer who brought in Marion, the character of Indy's son was only introduced later, by David Koepp.

So, speculation time: did either of Darabont's two drafts include Indy's barely-teenage daughter, or was that idea first advanced later by Jeff Nathanson? There's no way to know for sure, but it's darn interesting to contemplate.

Shortie

Man I'm glad this didn't happen. Mutt seems so much cooler. I doubt the girl would of done any action, she would of been Willie 2.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Not if she was Marion's daughter. But then you'd end up with a Marion clone or even worse, a Lara Croft clone. Probably why they didn't do it. Mutt was great in this movie, really cool and funny. Far from Jar Jar.

|ZiR|

Shortie said:
Man I'm glad this didn't happen. Mutt seems so much cooler. I doubt the girl would of done any action, she would of been Willie 2.

I dunno. Considering that Spielburg thought she was too similar to Kelly from The Lost World, perhaps she was going to break out some awesome gymnastic moves against the Skull Warriors.

And I have a question, though I don't know if anyone can asnwer it. What happens to these scripts once they're rejected? Are they destroyed? Are they ever made available to the public? I'd really like to read the various scripts they went through on the way to KotCS.

Lady in Red

I hate the idea of young kids doing super cool amazing stunts, so no. Indy with a girl would have been an interesting idea, but seeing a 13-year-old be a bull whip like master just isn't there for me. They have to be 16 at youngest for it to be partly believable.

Shortie

Violet Indy said:
Not if she was Marion's daughter. But then you'd end up with a Marion clone or even worse, a Lara Croft clone. Probably why they didn't do it. Mutt was great in this movie, really cool and funny. Far from Jar Jar.

I don't know about that Marion probably got tough because of traveling with Abner, the daughter probably would of had a normal life.

As for Mutt cool, this will make the Mutt haters shut up. (y)

|ZiR|

Shortie said:
I don't know about that Marion probably got tough because of traveling with Abner, the daughter probably would of had a normal life.

As for Mutt cool, this will make the Mutt haters shut up. (y)

But if Marion's daughter would've been so normal, why is Mutt a rough n' tumble greaser-type?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I'm surprised this book reveals so much. A love child of 13 would have put the film in 1950. Darabont has reacted in an amusing way to Shia's casting: "I don't remember writing him" or some such. So probably he included the girl in one or both scripts (which will soon hopefully see the light of day).

Adamwankenobi

ATMachine said:
Thought this might be of some interest--it's posted here and not in the Literature section since this is the spoiler forum.

The new book The Complete Making of Indiana Jones says that once Marion was introduced into the Indy 4 script, Lucas and Spielberg wanted to add their love child as well--initially in the form of a thirteen-year-old daughter for Indy. (George Hall fans, you can begin your mourning service for this dead idea now.)

The book also says that Spielberg eventually vetoed the daughter because she was too similar to the character of Jeff Goldblum's daughter in his film The Lost World.

However, the Making notes that while Frank Darabont was the writer who brought in Marion, the character of Indy's son was only introduced later, by David Koepp.

So, speculation time: did either of Darabont's two drafts include Indy's barely-teenage daughter, or was that idea first advanced later by Jeff Nathanson? There's no way to know for sure, but it's darn interesting to contemplate.

I'm happy to see a son in the film, as it is a nice parallel to LC. However, I think after the events of KOTCS, Indy and Marion had the daughter we see Old Indy talking to in YIJC. :cool:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Lucas: "Once we put Marion in the movie and knew they were going to be reunited, we first thought there should be a daughter Indy didn't know about. She was going to be 13, a little spitfire."
Doing the math again...
Saucer Men (1995) was set in 1949.
A daughter would have been 13 in 1950/1951.
City of the Gods (2003) opens with a 1954 song.
Crystal Skull (2006) was set in 1957.

Technically, Stuart reintroduced Marion, and Darabont gave her a leading role. To what extent did Boam use her in between? I suspect Lucas is referring to the mid-90's, though the Complete Making Of attributes his quote to around 2002.

Bvance

Perhaps they will incorporate the idea into Indy 5, where Indy runs into his and Willie's Love Child!

Oh geez, please no!

jason10mm

Heh heh, it would be funny to have Indy leaving a trail of bastard children around the world (much like Bond might have!). Mutt is a fine "character", just acted by a guy who is kind of a wuss and doesn't really fit into the Indy world. I would have preferred a more outdoorsey type with a different actor or Shia playing a more bookish role. As it is, you get a guy who doesn't look like a child of Indy (rough and tumble) who doesn't ACT like Indy either (adventuresome and inquisitive).

The Man

jason10mm said:
Heh heh, it would be funny to have Indy leaving a trail of bastard children around the world...

evil_children.jpg

"We will find you, Father..."

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
In the DVD featurette "Return of a Legend", Lucas says it again: "In the beginning it was a daughter he didn't know about... David revisited the idea as a son." (Which beginning?)

Sankara

Son or Daughter. Doesn't matter! One of the many-many mistakes of "Skull" was Indy having a kid. It's to lame for an Indiana Jones-Movie. Indy is not Family-Man. Bringing a Family Member (his Father) into his Adventures was a great idea. It was great for one time. Bringing another member is just boring...

Major West

Sankara said:
Son or Daughter. Doesn't matter! One of the many-many mistakes of "Skull" was Indy having a kid. It's to lame for an Indiana Jones-Movie. Indy is not Family-Man. Bringing a Family Member (his Father) into his Adventures was a great idea. It was great for one time. Bringing another member is just boring...

Well, that's your opinion, but you don't make the rules of the character.

sandiegojones

Sankara said:
You're boring, and repetitive and childish! How can you definitively say Indy isn't a family man? You didn't create Indy. The point of the film was that as Indy got older he was missing the real treasure, which is family. This is just like Indy realizing the real treasure in LC was rebuilding his relationship with his Dad.

You must not have kids (I bet you're 12 right?).

deckard24

As much as I'm not crazy about the idea of family man Indy, it makes sense for a guy with Father issues to have a son, who he can then in turn compensate and correct the failings of his own father/son relationship! Also, it would be a shame for a guy like Indy with so much experience, wisdom, knowledge, etc. to take that to the grave and not pass it on to a son or daughter!
I liked Mutt, and thought he was one of the best aspects of KOTCS, but I'm fine with knowing now Indy has a son and that's it! We don't need a Shia led spin-offf series, or one where he takes the prominent role and Ford plays backup like Henry Sr., in order to hammer home the point!