What did KOTCS get right?

It started strong, spending a lot of time exploring the environments that were just the transitory places in Raiders, The Hangar, Marshall College...it was like returning to Raiders with a more Crusade Tone! Not too Shabby!!

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
It started strong, spending a lot of time exploring the environments that were just the transitory places in Raiders, The Hangar, Marshall College...it was like returning to Raiders with a more Crusade Tone!

I like your take on it... :)

StoneTriple

Darth Vile said:
Rocket Surgeon said:
It started strong, spending a lot of time exploring the environments that were just the transitory places in Raiders, The Hangar, Marshall College...it was like returning to Raiders with a more Crusade Tone! Not too Shabby!!
I like your take on it... :)

Make that two.

I particularly like that the return isn't just for the sake of returning. There's a valid reason to be in those places and the scenes have their own strong identity.

DoomTown

StoneTriple said:
Make that two.

I particularly like that the return isn't just for the sake of returning. There's a valid reason to be in those places and the scenes have their own strong identity.

That would be three. LOVE the fact that we got to see the Hangar and more of the College grounds. Good way of integrating those locations with the story...

Indy's brother

Just watched KOTCS this evening and noticed something. When -Jim Broadbent (Dean Charles Stanforth) enters Indy's classroom, the last words to Indy's class are "I'll explain the difference between migration and EXODUS!" That part had always stood out to me, but I couldn't figure out why. Suddenly it hit me, and I'm ashamed that it took me so long to figure it out. He could have said anything, but those words were specifically written into the script. Migration and exodus are more about anthropology than archaeology. That line was foreshadowing about Indy's exodus from Marshall college! Another testament to how well thought out these movies are made.

sandiegojones

I would say it did quite a lot right. Since the films are formulaic, it did a good job of meeting certain expectations. From the get go I loved that they used the old Paramount logo painting. Others, such as the villains, henchman, fight scene, chase scene, creepy crawly scene, rotten corpses, natives, self destructing villain via macguffin scene, etc are totally Indy.

A few things felt out of place due to either the use of CGI or just the concept, but for the most part everything fits. Things like cinematography & HF's age cannot be helped and deserve a pass in my opinion. If this film had come out 10 years ago then who knows?

James

Indy's brother said:
"I'll explain the difference between migration and EXODUS!" That line was foreshadowing about Indy's exodus from Marshall college! Another testament to how well thought out these movies are made.

There's also the "departure" of the race at the film's end- which is even accompanied by a parting of the sea.

loganbush said:
I really think the movie works ok until Marion. Which is really too bad.

could have been worse...they could have had Marcus and Sallah in it and turn them into goofballs...oh wait, Marcus is dead and they already did that?:p

Wilhelm

It's curious that Marion part is like Marcus and Sallah in Las Crusade: an extended cameo from Raiders in a more comical way.

I think the movie is more about Indy, Mutt and Ox than the relationship with Marion (Like in Darabont's script). I prefer that because each movie have different characters for Indy.

Darth Vile

Wilhelm said:
It's curious that Marion part is like Marcus and Sallah in Las Crusade: an extended cameo from Raiders in a more comical way.

I think the movie is more about Indy, Mutt and Ox than the relationship with Marion (Like in Darabont's script). I prefer that because each movie have different characters for Indy.

Agreed... The key relationship in TLC was that between Indy and his father. And for me the "Jones boys" relationship worked well. It's clear that Lucas/Spielberg wanted to replicate that dynamic between Indy and his son (Mutt). Therefore, Marion doesn't get a prominent role that could be considered comparable to her Raiders appearance, and that of Willie in TOD. Her screen time in KOTCS is much more comparable to that of Elsa in TLC (because of the aforementioned reason), or as you mention, more comparable with Marcus.

Some complain that Marion was under utilized in KOTCS and was, as a result, rather redundant. To some degree I'd agree... but personally speaking, I'd much rather have a Marion in KOTCS who is NOT centre stage, which allows another character to come to the fore i.e. Mutt. It was nice to have her be part of it, but her lack of prominence was welcome.

Wilhelm

The problem with Marion is that her story arch was fully developed in Raiders. In the streets of Cairo they even talk about family, wedding and children, it's a premonition of the family that Indy will find in KOTCS (Like the family inside the doomtown house).

In Darabont's script you have again the same central concept. A rule in the sequels is that each movie will show us how a new character interacts with Indy and we see a new aspect of his personality.

Also we know something new about the character in each sequel (Indy "dressed to kill", Indy as a boy scout or Indy's activities during World War II)

mattzilla2010

Cagefighterkip said:
so this is what KOTCS got right?
well... everything.

it was pure, unadulterated, simple, clean and awesome, violent spectacle of a quest for a treasure, that is an Indiana Jones movie.

beginning to end, gophers, aliens and all... this was movie magic at its best.:)

Ditto! My feelings exactly! :D But my favorite part has to be the whole beginning, from the Paramount logo up till the mushroom cloud.

I was expecting there to be more focus on Marion once she was introduced. But as Darth Vile said, it's to allow Indy & Mutt's relationship to come to the fore. Which I think is a good thing. I'm not sure how widely shared this opinion is, but I for one really liked Mutt in the film.

lao che & sons

Darth Vile said:
4) Spalko was a great addition to the collection of Indiana Jones memorable villains. Whilst there is little subtlety in her character, I found her to be more memorable than Donovan and more interesting than Mola Ram.

Mola Ram was the MOST interesting villian with spalko in a VERY close second. Belloq and donovan were just boring to me.:eek:

My favorite thing about the movie was the fact that in all the other movies (besides TOD) Indy has been solving mysteries like the grail or the ark. And in this one he solved the mystery of area 51, Aliens, and UFOs. This is why I loved KOTCS it does get kind of lame after the camp scene, but the idea really was good. When was the last time there was a show on history channel about people hunting down the ark or the grail? But they always show stuff about UFOs and Aliens.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

That's right. Area 51 and Roswell are modern mithology so it's perfect to use them in a Indiana Jones movie with the astro-archaeology concept.

Le Saboteur

My first impulse...

...was to ignore this thread; the second, to say they certainly got the marketing right. And that was about it.

But that would be unfair. The thing I liked most about Skull was the title. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is evocative and exciting sounding. I even have the damn t-shirt; indeed, the promise of that title is boundless.

Indy's Fist

For me KOTCS got EVERYTHING right. KOTCS was a wonderful blend of action, adventure and sprinkled with camp. It was a loving tribute to it's former films as well as serial & B-movies from the past.