What did KOTCS get right?

Darth Vile

AlivePoet said:
I like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...s-earner-year-43m-Indiana-Jones-comeback.html

Check out the caption for the production still below the article.

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: The film took a critical mauling, but cleaned up at the box office."

Right, because 76% fresh on RottenTomatoes.com doesn't mean anything.

How ignorant are the folks who write these things?

Sometimes perception can be everything... There is a perception in the populist media that, no matter how true/false, the Star Wars prequels and KOTCS are inferior to the original movies. After all, a negative spin on a story becomes a lot easier to write i.e. it gives the writer an angle which offers an opportunity of increased hyperbole. Why same something in a word when you can use a thousand. ;)

Therefore, increasingly it seems, the media/tabloids either revere something to the extreme or vilify it… and this now gets carried over into internet discussion boards and other such media. Pertinent example: Michael Jackson is either portrayed as a “freak” or a “genius”. To use an apt song title, it's never that "Black or White', but it makes the writing about it so much easier for the hacks.

Andrew Wilson

On the whole, the character of Indiana himself, particularly in how he might be as a person 20 years on from the period of the original trilogy (he had lived through a world war in between, after all).
Jim Broadbent's college character provided an able replacement for the late Denholm Elliott's Marcus.
I also think that reuniting Indiana with Marion was a nice touch.

However, there were a lot of elements about which it is much harder to be positive.
I thought Cate Blanchett's character was incredibly shallow.
Generally I thought the plot deteriorated as the movie unfolded.
In particular (and I realise I join a long queue of people saying this), the 'inter-dimensional' beings and whole CGI spinning-vehicle finale let the whole thing down, and seemed somewhat self-indulgent on the part of the producers.

kongisking

Umm, okay, lets see...think, think, think...

For starters, the introduction for Indy. Absolutely perfect. Brings me to tears and shivers every time I watch that shadow on the door. For that alone, I say: Thank You, Steven and George. Thank You, Steven and George. Thank You, Steven and George.

Secondly, the crystal skull mythology. I never really was too into the skull legend before this movie came around, but Koepp gave such a fascinating, imaginative, unique and thought-provoking backstory to this relic that I instantly went back to being into UFOlogy again. Thank You, Steven and George.

Thirdly, the Mutt Williams character. A moment of rest, people, to allow your eyeballs to stop rolling. Okay, let's move on... Shia Labeouf is just fantastic in this. I love Mutt's characterization as an insecure, lonely and squeamish momma's boy hiding behind the false persona of a bad-ass, tough-talking, macho biker. To little success, of course.

If Mutt had really been this identity, then I probably would have despised him as an arrogant, pompous and disrespectful little jackass with a foul mouth and an utterly retarded ego. But by revealing that the "Mutt Williams" act is just that, his own 'secret identity' of sorts, the real boy hiding behind the man, the character became endearing, funny, sympathetic and inspired. And the fact that he's the goddamn son of Indiana goddamn Jones doesn't hurt, either. Thank You, Steven and George.

Next, the terrific reprise of the Raiders' warehouse. Oh, MAN!!! Do I REALLY have to continue here, folks!

In addition, the delicious Irina Spalko as the villain. Boner-inducing (see that thread for the real meat an' potaters!:p ), Staring Contest Five-Time Heavyweight Champion, alluring accent, those awesome moves, the way she holds the skull when Indy's "duck" is coming toward her...damn, just call her Squirt-O-Matic. Thank You, David and Cate.

The badass Nuking of the Fridge. Immediately followed by "A Dynamite Stick in a Nuclear Age". As unforgettable as 9/11. (No offense, anybody...)

And a billion other things, such as: Harrison's grin as he watches Mutt do his stuff; Marion's Gazillion-Watt-Smile; Dovchenko in all his ass-kicking glory; Oxley's dancing; the opening race; the IDB's face as he/she/it melts Spalko...

I think my work is done. NOT! Ha, you wish!

lao che & sons said:
When was the last time there was a show on history channel about people hunting down the ark or the grail?

When was the last time there was a show on The History Channel actually about history?

...yeah... it's been 10 or so years now....

DeepSixFix

Blade said:
I think they got everything completely wrong except for the following:-

i) The first 5 minutes until Indy opens his mouth
ii) The scene at the University
iii) The scene in the bar where the fight breaks out

That's it.
So then why do you come here? You should be on the forums of movies you like.
:confused:

Finn

Staff member
Please, people... don't hurt the zombie horses roaming this thread. Mind their feelings as well as their physical wellbeing.

DeepSixFix

kongisking said:
Umm, okay, lets see...think, think, think...

For starters, the introduction for Indy. Absolutely perfect. Brings me to tears and shivers every time I watch that shadow on the door. For that alone, I say: Thank You, Steven and George. Thank You, Steven and George. Thank You, Steven and George.

Secondly, the crystal skull mythology. I never really was too into the skull legend before this movie came around, but Koepp gave such a fascinating, imaginative, unique and thought-provoking backstory to this relic that I instantly went back to being into UFOlogy again. Thank You, Steven and George.

Thirdly, the Mutt Williams character. A moment of rest, people, to allow your eyeballs to stop rolling. Okay, let's move on... Shia Labeouf is just fantastic in this. I love Mutt's characterization as an insecure, lonely and squeamish momma's boy hiding behind the false persona of a bad-ass, tough-talking, macho biker. To little success, of course.

If Mutt had really been this identity, then I probably would have despised him as an arrogant, pompous and disrespectful little jackass with a foul mouth and an utterly retarded ego. But by revealing that the "Mutt Williams" act is just that, his own 'secret identity' of sorts, the real boy hiding behind the man, the character became endearing, funny, sympathetic and inspired. And the fact that he's the goddamn son of Indiana goddamn Jones doesn't hurt, either. Thank You, Steven and George.

Next, the terrific reprise of the Raiders' warehouse. Oh, MAN!!! Do I REALLY have to continue here, folks!

In addition, the delicious Irina Spalko as the villain. Boner-inducing (see that thread for the real meat an' potaters!:p ), Staring Contest Five-Time Heavyweight Champion, alluring accent, those awesome moves, the way she holds the skull when Indy's "duck" is coming toward her...damn, just call her Squirt-O-Matic. Thank You, David and Cate.

The badass Nuking of the Fridge. Immediately followed by "A Dynamite Stick in a Nuclear Age". As unforgettable as 9/11. (No offense, anybody...)

And a billion other things, such as: Harrison's grin as he watches Mutt do his stuff; Marion's Gazillion-Watt-Smile; Dovchenko in all his ass-kicking glory; Oxley's dancing; the opening race; the IDB's face as he/she/it melts Spalko...

I think my work is done. NOT! Ha, you wish!
Wow great post that makes a solid case and refutes the "haters," thanks!

DeepSixFix said:
Wow great post that makes a solid case and refutes the "haters," thanks!

"The haters"?

When are we gonna get that face-palming emoticon this board so desperately needs?

Well... anyway, there are many posts refuting you "sheep." So seems you're in poor company.

AlivePoet

Darth Vile said:
Sometimes perception can be everything... There is a perception in the populist media that, no matter how true/false, the Star Wars prequels and KOTCS are inferior to the original movies. After all, a negative spin on a story becomes a lot easier to write i.e. it gives the writer an angle which offers an opportunity of increased hyperbole. Why same something in a word when you can use a thousand. ;)

Therefore, increasingly it seems, the media/tabloids either revere something to the extreme or vilify it? and this now gets carried over into internet discussion boards and other such media. Pertinent example: Michael Jackson is either portrayed as a ?freak? or a ?genius?. To use an apt song title, it's never that "Black or White', but it makes the writing about it so much easier for the hacks.

Yes, I'm familiar with all of the above...and as a journalist and writer, they are an insult to my profession. But with that kind of writing on their resumes, these blokes probably won't be graduating the internet anytime soon.

Indy's brother

ResidentAlien said:
"The haters"?

When are we gonna get that face-palming emoticon this board so desperately needs?

Well... anyway, there are many posts refuting you "sheep." So seems you're in poor company.

Aaaw, c'mon, RA. I said once on these boards that KOTCS has had a polarizing effect on the fans, and this is proof of it. This thread is titled "What did KOTCS get right?" Is it any wonder that someone who enjoyed it would defend it here? While I think that blindly ignoring the glaring shortcomings of Indy 4 is retarded, this thread is not designed to prove that the movie sucketh, or that it was great. And calling someone a sheep for defending the successful elements of it in a thread designed for praise is equally lame. Debate the merits of whether or not something was done particularly well here, but judging the movie as a whole is a different topic. Yes--the term "haters" is played out and I thought it had run it's course here at the Raven. But I also thought the same of the one-sided hatred of KOTCS.

Finn

Staff member
It was nice talking to you, Mr. Wall, but I think I'll have to go now. Some folks require whipping...

Indy's brother said:
Aaaw, c'mon, RA. I said once on these boards that KOTCS has had a polarizing effect on the fans, and this is proof of it. This thread is titled "What did KOTCS get right?" Is it any wonder that someone who enjoyed it would defend it here? While I think that blindly ignoring the glaring shortcomings of Indy 4 is retarded, this thread is not designed to prove that the movie sucketh, or that it was great. And calling someone a sheep for defending the successful elements of it in a thread designed for praise is equally lame. Debate the merits of whether or not something was done particularly well here, but judging the movie as a whole is a different topic. Yes--the term "haters" is played out and I thought it had run it's course here at the Raven. But I also thought the same of the one-sided hatred of KOTCS.

You really missed my point.

I wasn't attacking those who liked the film. More power to them. I was attacking the silly labeling, the petty name-calling. It's pretty absurd.

Indy's brother

ResidentAlien said:
You really missed my point.

I wasn't attacking those who liked the film. More power to them. I was attacking the silly labeling, the petty name-calling. It's pretty absurd.

If I misread your intent, then I apologize. I had assumed that by calling him (and others by implication) "sheep", you were making some sort of sweeping generalization about people who like the film--by way of petty name calling yourself. I am being sincere in my apology, but you have to admit how very easily your post could be read this way.

Indy's brother said:
If I misread your intent, then I apologize. I had assumed that by calling him (and others by implication) "sheep", you were making some sort of sweeping generalization about people who like the film--by way of petty name calling yourself. I am being sincere in my apology, but you have to admit how very easily your post could be read this way.

Yeah, I suppose it was vague.

I included both terms in quotations to stress my own insincerity in using them, but perhaps that didn't come across.