Calling all video editors and effects artists

Perhilion

emtiem said:
That's a decent thought. He could see them swinging and thus get the idea, but it might offend people less not to see him doing it.
exactly. it has more of an impact, I think.

lao che & sons

here's an opinion from someone who generally liked skull. And is not working on this project.

Okay, this is turning out very nicely to me. I can't wait to see the inished thing. I do love how you are adding the news paper and taking out the prarie dogs. Things I hadn't thought of. Now the pictures I did think of. Change the connery pic to him in like an unbuttoned grey vest (or buttoned) and no hat and no bowtie. Or a tie. But no bowtie. And I LOVE the picture of Marcus you changed to in trial A... not so much for senior in trial b:D . Keep it up. And when is this thing going out?

Also Can I suggest that you downgrade the film to like a 1994 version like in somesoftwares you can make it look really old just make it look a TOUCH older. Just and Idea.(y)

Laserschwert

lao che & sons said:
Also Can I suggest that you downgrade the film to like a 1994 version like in somesoftwares you can make it look really old just make it look a TOUCH older. Just and Idea.(y)
I've done some color correction on the Jungle Chase, which I think makes it at least look closer to the other films:

comp2me7.jpg

comp3co5.jpg

comp4nv1.jpg

comp5ds0.jpg

comp1im5.jpg

comp6ld0.jpg

comp8hj3.jpg

comp9uj0.jpg

comp10sc3.jpg

comp11mq6.jpg

Ok...that looks fine, how does it effect the shots of Harrison in the Warehouse when he looks like he's suffering from yellow fever? When he's talking about spying on the reds, the lighting was crap. Made him look 25 years older!

lao che & sons

That is what I'm talking about! YES! YES! Beutiful job. Do this to the whole film and I would respect it so much more. By the way... will this be able to be put on dvd??? And if they make Indy 5 will you be doing the same thing?:)

Darth Vile

It certainly look sharper, less warm and not as soft, but I think I'd need to see what it looks like in context (i.e. a moving image) before I have an opinion on wether I think it is an improvement (it looks to be from screen shots). Any chance you can colour correct a shot from outside the warehouse "not as easy as it used to be", and from ants!/waterfall... as those are the sections where the colour looks too washed out for me? :)

lao che & sons

indyjones2131 said:
Here are some examples of what can be done. KEEP IN MIND we are not necessarily using these exact clips, they are just tests:

http://www.vimeo.com/4274962

http://www.vimeo.com/4258943

http://www.vimeo.com/4257370

http://www.vimeo.com/5049124

WOW I'm impressed. I LOVE the new edding much more romanic without cutting anything that I liked. Great work. I don't like that you cut the "Damn I thought that was closer but who am I to be saying anything? I just did like that scene though and I liked that line too. I also llove that you cut out the whole vine swinging thing... if lucas and spielberg had done this then Crystal skull would've been great and if they had made it look more like the old ones I would've died for it.(y) good work.(y)

It is weird, cause in those color corrections....Harrison looks younger, lol

I just finished my KOTCS edit...I can post parts on YouTube if your interested...maybe you could use some

Darth Vile

Attila the Professor said:
It's not a KotCS forum, it's an Indiana Jones forum. Easy mistake to make. In the beginning.

It's an Indy site, but this is specifically a KOTCS sub forum of the Indy 'Films' section. I think that's what he was referring to.

DocWhiskey

Darth Vile said:
It's an Indy site, but this is specifically a KOTCS sub forum of the Indy 'Films' section. I think that's what he was referring to.

Exactly. Pretty self explanatory really. I just think some of the mods get a hard on when constantly correcting people on every little thing ;) .

Anyway....

Amazing job on that color correction, Laserschwert. It's amazing how a few tweaks makes it overall more pleasing to the eye.

Laserschwert

Darth Vile said:
It certainly look sharper, less warm and not as soft, but I think I'd need to see what it looks like in context (i.e. a moving image) before I have an opinion on wether I think it is an improvement (it looks to be from screen shots). Any chance you can colour correct a shot from outside the warehouse "not as easy as it used to be", and from ants!/waterfall... as those are the sections where the colour looks too washed out for me? :)

I'll post some clips some other time, but here are some shots from the "Ants!"-scene (those are older, and not yet as refined as the jungle-shots):

indy4color1ff9.jpg

indy4color2dg2.jpg

indy4color3ys2.jpg

indy4color4no9.jpg

indy4color5ip7.jpg

indy4color6nv4.jpg

emtiem

Yeah, those ants ones aren't as refined as your others. I like them but it is hard to judge if they're actually better without seeing it moving. It certainly seems a shame to lose the lush greens but otherwise they're very nice.

Darth Vile

Thanks Laserschwert.

Yep - I like the sharpness/increased level of detail the colour correction seems to bring, but obviously by losing some of that soft/fuzzy focus, some of the period aesthetic is lost. Will be interesting to see more comparisons though... :D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
DocWhiskey said:
Exactly. Pretty self explanatory really. I just think some of the mods get a hard on when constantly correcting people on every little thing ;) .

Have I created that reputation for myself? Well, not all the time, then, only when it allows me to deflate somebody's set-in-stone views.

Which is to say the only real barrier that has to be crossed to be a part of this forum is to be an Indiana Jones fan, and that part of being a fan ought to be the ability to critique. People throw around the phrase "no zealot like a convert." Me? I'd hope it were something more like "no critic like a zealot." And if you can't discuss things that you don't like, then what's the point of it all?

The more related point to make is that I'm still not sure how I feel about this edit. Some of the choices seem like good ones, but I'm somehow more inclined to take the whole as it was given to us, however much genuine craft there might be in completing the edits. To take the whole, and yet wish, say, that the monkeys weren't there or the waterfalls were treated with some tension, etc...I don't know if that's a contradictory position to hold or not. But for better or worse, KotCS is the film they gave us, and I'm not sure if the edit, no matter how masterfully done, can ever be much more than an exercise.