Tomb Raider on-screen adaptations

TheFedora

So I gave it a watch today, just got back...I liked it, there were parts that I thought were faithful to the gameplay segments of the reboot series... also seeing Lara's evolution as a character here too. The parts in the finale, kind of reminded me of Crusade just a bit , what with Lara's interactions with Mathias.

Actually check that, a plot twist which i will not spoil here, made the film give off a bit more of a Crusade vibe maybe. But yeah.

7.5/10.

John Bechet

I liked it overall. There are some shortcomings but for me it was much, much better than the Jolie-led films.

I found it very distracting when it came to the bits that echoed Last Crusade. The parts that came directly from the 2013 game were well done and I liked what they did when departing from the game's story as well.

TheFedora

John Bechet said:
I liked it overall. There are some shortcomings but for me it was much, much better than the Jolie-led films.

I found it very distracting when it came to the bits that echoed Last Crusade. The parts that came directly from the 2013 game were well done and I liked what they did when departing from the game's story as well.

Yeah same, I did like what they did in changing the ending up a bit, gave it its own spin. But yeah im glad I wasnt the only person to get the 'Crusade' vibe from it.

And yeah Pale Horse, sorry I was trying to figure out how to say it without spoiling anything.

IndyBuff

I'm not interested in seeing it in theaters but I'll probably Redbox it or catch it on Netflix. It looks decent but not something I'd fully invest in.

IndyBuff

Finally got around to watching it tonight. It was pretty much what I expected---a fun but ultimately forgettable popcorn flick.:)

StockdeFerry

MGM has lost the film rights to “Tomb Raider,” based on the popular video game, sparking a bidding war for the IP, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

MGM had till May of this year to greenlight a “Tomb Raider” sequel, and the window passed. A host of Hollywood movie studios are in the mix and put in bids, according to multiple insiders with knowledge of the project.

Alicia Vikander, who starred as Lara Croft in 2018’s “Tomb Raider” is no longer attached to the project. Insiders add it’s a complete reboot and there are no casting or director commitments. Rights reverted to the game company, then the game company and Graham King’s GK Films made a deal to rep the IP.

The 2018 “Tomb Raider” earned nearly $275 million at the global box office. The film is based on the popular video game series starring the adventuring Lara Croft, and the games were initially adapted into a blockbuster pair of films in 2001 and 2003 that starred Angelina Jolie, which grossed $432 million worldwide.

A sequel to the 2018 “Tomb Raider” film had “Lovecraft Country” showrunner Misha Green attached to write and direct at one point, but that has fallen apart.

Producer Graham King and his GK Films banner acquired the “Tomb Raider” rights in 2011 from Square Enix, and is considering the offers.

Back in May, Embracer acquired “Tomb Raider” game developer Crystal Dynamics and all corresponding IP from Square Enix in a deal worth $300 million. In the company’s Q4 and full year financial report, Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors said he sees “great potential, not only in sequels, but also in remakes, remasters, spinoffs as well as transmedia projects” for “Tomb Raider.”

MGM declined to comment.

johnfrancis

I never saw the 2018 Tomb Raider.

Was she not to skinny?

That's why I didn't watch it. Wanted a Lara Croft where I felt I could get me hands on that...

johnfrancis

Imagine… there was a time where you hadn’t said that… where you had the choice not to say that… Imagine having chosen to keep that thought to yourself instead of vomiting it up and smearing it around on these once clean floors.
Ah people are too uptight nowadays.

There's no fun in them.

It's no worse the the Farah Fawcett poster I had on my wall as a kid.

Finn

Staff member
Are you guys complaining about the lack of... padding?

I mean, isn't that usually a  good thing with movies?

PilotJohnGrant

Shame. I thought Vikander worked really well in the role and Daniel Wu was a good addition. That being said the film was mediocre and pretty much missed the point of the 2013 game it was based on.

johnfrancis

Right so...

I apparently feel persecuted cos people don't like the banter nowadays and have a practically Victorian attitude. Who in the name of jaysus would feel persecuted over that?! I mean seriously...

Also because a bloke finds some women attractive and some not is now considered misogynistic.

The human race is doomed so.

Someone's having a laugh with me here right? I mean do people really take this ****e seriously?