Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - initial impressions and casual discussion

Agent Z

4-Kingdom08.jpg

3-Crusade89.jpg

2-Temple84.jpg

1-Raiders81.jpg

Peacock's-Eye

>>With all due respect, you must not know the God of the Old Testament. That is all the reply I will give to this statement.<<
I used to worship the monster (to my eternal shame) - I know him very well. He's a holdover savage Bronze Age tribal deity who has zero place in the modern world. Read your Bible! That is all the reply I will give to your statement.

RedeemedChild

indyt said:
With all due respect, you must not know the God of the Old Testament. That is all the reply I will give to this statement.

Thanks man, I'm totally glad that at LEST someone on here is willing to speak on the behalf of our Almighty Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

BTW I don't understand why people are bashing Temple of Doom so badly. I think it was a great Indy adventure. Sure it was overflowing with snakes and it was a bit weird at times but it was an enjoyable and action packed adventure. And if anyone here watched the History Channel back in 2006 they will remember that Digging For The Truth gave respect to Temple of Doom in many of the trailers and episode previews. In one TV ad for Digging we see Josh Bernstein enter an errie temple and lose his Fedora, then he reads the ancient text of the Aztecs and discovers that he has entered "The Temple of Doom" then the the whole structure begins to collapse and Josh tries to make an exit for it all while the Indiana Jones theme is playing in the background.

I really have to say that Temple of Doom was a great film.

indyt

RedeemedChild said:
Thanks man, I'm totally glad that at LEST someone on here is willing to speak on the behalf of our Almighty Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

BTW I don't understand why people are bashing Temple of Doom so badly. I think it was a great Indy adventure. Sure it was overflowing with snakes and it was a bit weird at times but it was an enjoyable and action packed adventure. And if anyone here watched the History Channel back in 2006 they will remember that Digging For The Truth gave respect to Temple of Doom in many of the trailers and episode previews. In one TV ad for Digging we see Josh Bernstein enter an errie temple and lose his Fedora, then he reads the ancient text of the Aztecs and discovers that he has entered "The Temple of Doom" then the the whole structure begins to collapse and Josh tries to make an exit for it all while the Indiana Jones theme is playing in the background.

No problem brother.

Silentrascal

RedeemedChild said:

I have to agree on Temple of Doom. Certainly better than KOTCS.

Last edited:

TohtLikeaTiger

My 5 Favorite Moments

After a second viewing, here are my 5 favorite moments in the movie:

1. The opening drag race. Its a random moment in which none of the heroes appear but its wonderfully against type, a great character moment (a Russian who likes to drag race), and sets the scene better than just giving a date (1957).

2. "None of them were you..." I actually like that the first reaction shot to that line is Mutt not Marion. Then the camera drifts over to Marion and we get what we were waiting for - her brilliant smile.

3. Atomic Town. How in the world do you make Americana so freakin' creepy?

4. The snake rope. Corny, but I laughed. It's Harrison's reactions that are spot perfect. When did John Wayne ever have the nerve to show such weakness in one of his characters?

5. Motorcycle escape. Indy gets pulled off the motorcycle into one side of the car, fights his way through the back seat and then climbs back onto the motorcycle on the other side of the car! That's a brilliant bit of 80s-style, stunt-gaggery (I just made that word up). A real stunt, no blue screen, funny and dangerous. Instant classic.

I really like this movie!

RedeemedChild

TohtLikeaTiger said:
After a second viewing, here are my 5 favorite moments in the movie:

1. The opening drag race. Its a random moment in which none of the heroes appear but its wonderfully against type, a great character moment (a Russian who likes to drag race), and sets the scene better than just giving a date (1957).

2. "None of them were you..." I actually like that the first reaction shot to that line is Mutt not Marion. Then the camera drifts over to Marion and we get what we were waiting for - her brilliant smile.

3. Atomic Town. How in the world do you make Americana so freakin' creepy?

4. The snake rope. Corny, but I laughed. It's Harrison's reactions that are spot perfect. When did John Wayne ever have the nerve to show such weakness in one of his characters?

5. Motorcycle escape. Indy gets pulled off the motorcycle into one side of the car, fights his way through the back seat and then climbs back onto the motorcycle on the other side of the car! That's a brilliant bit of 80s-style, stunt-gaggery (I just made that word up). A real stunt, no blue screen, funny and dangerous. Instant classic.

I really like this movie!

I also liked the Motorcycle scene. That's the best chase scene I've seen in a movie in a very long time. Still nothing can compare to the joy I felt when Mutt began his Tarzan Jungle Vine rump through the treetops.

Peacock's-Eye

Actually the drag race sets up alot of things:

1. The period
2. The tone of the movie
3. Dovchenko's character (the frown says it all - killjoy!)
4. That the Russians aren't all 'cold warriors'
5. That they aren't American soldiers (the driver's sneakers)
6. The location of the opening sequence

It's a wonderfully cinematic way of feeding the audience a load of information. And I like the music!

torao

Moderator Emeritus
I guess I'm a little late on this one but I just saw this Indy Mogul report from the NYC fan screening, which turned out to be more amusing than I thought.
Just as I thought I couldn't take the positive reactions anymore and started to wish for someone to come up to the camera to unleash his anger and frustration at Spielberg, Lucas and Ford ...who shows up?
Spielberg's sister. LOL

Silentrascal

If anything, the drag race sets up the fact that this film doesn't belong with the canon of other Indiana Jones flicks. It was completely unnecessary, and had nothing enjoyable or entertaining about it at all.

jasperjones

In your opinion. I thought the drag race was entertaining and enjoyable. I wish people would stop stating opinions as fact, unless the fact is your opinion (ie it is a fact that I hate/ love this film).

jasperjones

I thought the energy of the scene and the way it was filmed was superb. Vintage Spielberg. Granted it didn't have a great deal to do with the story but I thought it was a great fun way to introduce the era.

Tmountain into a molehill gag was great even if the CG gopher was a big 2 fingers up at everyone that's not keen on CG (and while I didn't mind it, I did think, why would you p1ss people off in the opening second of your movie?).

Silentrascal

jasperjones said:
In your opinion. I thought the drag race was entertaining and enjoyable. I wish people would stop stating opinions as fact, unless the fact is your opinion (ie it is a fact that I hate/ love this film).

I wish people would stop whining about how others state their opinions and get over themselves.

jasperjones

Silentrascal said:
I wish people would stop whining about how others state their opinions and get over themselves.

Wasn't having a personal pop at you, Silent. The trouble is it's damn near impossible to have a debate about any of this stuff and surely the whole point of these boards is just that - discussion. Anyway, moving on...those spoof reviews are on the nose. Surely wouldn't be too hard to drum up some genuine reviews though that are equally scathing. The Times reviews for Raiders and Doom were on a par with those.

Last edited:

berelain19

haven't been here in a while...

I saw Indy 4 about 2 weeks ago.

I don't know what to say,I'm disappointed... It was likable,but it was NOT Indiana Jones.
when I saw that ridiculous skull,I thought to myself...''no,no,no,there are no aliens!! I refuse to accept!''
At the end:''NOOOOOOO!!!!!''

What a shame!

Typical! An old-and-sentimental-men film....