Skull plot - order of events now we've seen the trailer

God'sRadio

Finn said:
If you read the whole thread (which I think you didn't), you'd noticed the bit we discussed about the person being taken from the trunk in the fast snippet is not actually Indy, but Mac.

However, that minor detail aside, you might have stumbled onto something here. They're definitely playing smoke & mirrors with us, both in the trailer and likely in the beginning of the movie. First there's the US soldiers who may turn out to be not-so-American as the viewer first thought, and also some similarity between the clothing of Mac and Indy, so the idea of 'berg giving us a little confusion in the beginning minutes doesn't seem far-fetched at all, but actually even probable.

It may not go exactly as you described (well, I think that can be said of everyone's attempts to piece it together) but in general... well, it's been 19 years. It'd be really candid for them to tease us just those few lingering moments more.

Not entirely clear cut that Indy is not taken from the trunk. Mac might be as well, but in the overhead shot after the trunk, it is clearly Indy (with strap of bag over his body) who seems to be led from the trunk to the side of the car for the beating - take a look

http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=1427749440

It MIGHT be that Mac is in the trunk and Indy is brought out of the hangar, but it is an odd composition. It would explain the hat however... Perhaps car arrives, Indy is brought out of hangar, there is a beating, hat comes off, trunk is opened, Mac brought out and the scene in trailer starts

Last edited:

jasperjones

Could they both fit in there? Indy could have come from anywhere...a vehicle behind...his hat may have been knocked forwards. Maybe someone else is driving the car. One of the Ruskies and something happens in the trunk that gives them away...Maybe we're way off track...

nitzsche

The overhead shot in the trailer only shows Indy being thrown to the ground - not removed from the trunk. You're piecing those two shots together like they are back to back... but they aren't. The trunk is certainly open in the overhead shot, though.

The odd thing is the fedora already on the ground as the troops surround the car and as Indy is pushed to the ground.

I guess he gets up, dusts himself off, picks up the hat, puts it on, and then we get the "easy" line. Perhaps then Spalko comes on scene.

jasperjones

Yeah, that makes sense, then at some point we have the scene where Dovchenko backhands him, I'm guessing in response to a quip!

Finn

Staff member
The key thing with the trailer here is that especially with the trunk scene, they've definitely cut it in a way that's meant to deceive us and hide something. It's still not 100% sure if it's Mac or Indy being pulled from the trunk, but they sure as heck want us to think it's Indy.

Also, what if they shot the car overhead and hat-picking scene specifically for the trailer?

We're in some serious soup of red herrings here, and Spielberg's got the only spoon to fish us out. If there's bound to be a second trailer, let's see what that's about to tell us...

God'sRadio

OK, then how about this way - the shot in the trailer of Mac getting out of the trunk has been reversed. He's actually being put in the trunk!

The funny thing about the shot of Indy picking up his hat is the feet of the soldiers seen under the car - they are walking very casually. Indy isn't surrounded at that point. How does the hat get there! We know it only comes off in extremis, so some big sequence has happened just before this?

What's the order of all these ingredients we know about?

Trucks, Jeep and Car on road approaching hangars

Same car outside hangar surrounded by troopers

Same trucks, jeep and car in warehouse (not the same as the hangars?)

Stalko driving jeep with Roswell crate onboard

Whip swinging scene in the warehouse with the jeep and a truck

Indy beaten by Russkie outside hangar

Stalko (sunglasses and sword) with Indy (but no Mac) and with car and hangars in background

Mac and Indy outside hangar, next to car

Mac in trunk of car

Hat on ground by car

Indy shadow on car

Indy dragged and thrown to ground next to car

Rocket sled fight

Fight in underground control room

Indy driving jeep with Roswell crate onboard

Indy escaping from jeep before collision

Explosion as something drives through crates

Last edited:

nitzsche

At this point, anything is possible. I'm starting to scratch my head about this whole thing really. The warehouse chase/military base & soldiers/bunker & rocket sled fight/Indy & Mac captured stuff seems like it is waaaaay too much action and plot exposition to take place in the opening teaser part of the movie.

To me, it would seem like we would already be well into the movie at this point... maybe within the first 40 minutes.

G-Man

nitzsche said:
At this point, anything is possible. I'm starting to scratch my head about this whole thing really. The warehouse chase/military base & soldiers/bunker & rocket sled fight/Indy & Mac captured stuff seems like it is waaaaay too much action and plot exposition to take place in the opening teaser part of the movie.

To me, it would seem like we would already be well into the movie at this point... maybe within the first 40 minutes.

Yeah, I think you're right about the length of this sequence, if all of this is part of one long sequence, and I think it probably is, then it does seem very long for it to be the opening sequence.

I also noticed looking back at the trailer, that the chain sparking between Indy's legs scene might actually come after the Indy kicking the Ruskie through the glass scene...

God'sRadio

Agree - I now think the Marshall college scenes might be the teaser

Thus Mutt meets Indy then and again later when he says to Indy that he thought he was a teacher. So Mutt is either out of the movie after the teaser (as he doesn't see Indy again) until act 2, or more likely there are parallel plots (both saving Marion?) in which they meet up in the jungle (which is act 2)

Teaser - Marshall

Act 1 - Roswell, etc

Act 2 - Jungle

Act 3 - Temple and climax

Coda - Wedding

sneakertinker

I?d go further and speculate that the scenes at Roswell (if that is indeed where the warehouse scene is) involves more than just the actual warehouse... I mean if you are going to incorporate Area 51 into a movie said:
I agree that it sounds like it "sounds more like end of movie antics to me..."But taking into consideration that it's already been said that the opening scene will be the conclusion of another movie leads me to believe that this actually the opening of the movie...

A major factor in making me believe this is in the trailer...When Indy is thrown from the vehicle and it shows his shadow picking up his hat off the ground and placing it on his head...Kind of like building up to showing him in full form on the screen...Like they did in Raiders.

I think that in this scene the Russian's are actually after the Arc and Indy foils them in the process...This would setup Spalko as the villian for later on in the film as well...Also much like they did with Belloq in raiders...

I think Mac is actually first shown to be helping the Russians but once they loose their use for him they turn on him and attempt to kill Indy and him...Hence the whole "Not as easy as it used to be" scene from the trailer where they are surrounded by soldiers...

Indy's wise crack when he hits the truck window could be taken in the context that he is realizing that he is getting too old for this type of stuff which will set him up for the next scene in the movie...Teaching and "leading a quiet life" as has already been said by I think G. Lucas...Apparently retired from his wild, artifact finding lifestyle...

Just what I think though...

joelwatts

Something to consider: Indy could be in the warehouse without knowing it's the same building that houses the ark. I mean, he didn't see the end of Raiders like we did. Its not like he would recognize it as the warehouse the way we do. So, maybe he's there for another reason, has no clue the ark is in there. A nod to the ark for the audience, but the characters don't know.

Hawkeye

God'sRadio said:
I thought a scene was shot at a church at the same time as the Marshall footage?

That was what was reported by a bystander. That neither confirms nor denies the presence of a wedding scene in the movie.

Finn

Staff member
Sankara said:
There is no wedding-scene with Indiana Jones and Marion in this movie.
C'mon, stop stating things like that. There is no evidence is what's appropiate to say at this point. Or have you seen it already?

spiralout

I was at the church when they were filming. It was a small crew. I don't think they were filming inside. There were vehicles and extras walking around. Mutt's motorcycle was there. It looked like they filmed a drive-by with the motorcycle and they were done.

Amdrag

sneakertinker said:
I agree that it sounds like it "sounds more like end of movie antics to me..."But taking into consideration that it's already been said that the opening scene will be the conclusion of another movie leads me to believe that this actually the opening of the movie...

A major factor in making me believe this is in the trailer...When Indy is thrown from the vehicle and it shows his shadow picking up his hat off the ground and placing it on his head...Kind of like building up to showing him in full form on the screen...Like they did in Raiders.

I think that in this scene the Russian's are actually after the Arc and Indy foils them in the process...This would setup Spalko as the villian for later on in the film as well...Also much like they did with Belloq in raiders...

I think Mac is actually first shown to be helping the Russians but once they loose their use for him they turn on him and attempt to kill Indy and him...Hence the whole "Not as easy as it used to be" scene from the trailer where they are surrounded by soldiers...

Indy's wise crack when he hits the truck window could be taken in the context that he is realizing that he is getting too old for this type of stuff which will set him up for the next scene in the movie...Teaching and "leading a quiet life" as has already been said by I think G. Lucas...Apparently retired from his wild, artifact finding lifestyle...

Just what I think though...

Yeah that has me thinking the same thing. They love to start these films in at the end of another epic tale of Indy's.