Star Wars Saga

indyclone25

well i have always bought the newest release of star wars dvds --- i have two vhs giftsets and the "one last time "sets and the single version and the dvd s (both sets) and i will not be buying these. if people who don't own them buy them good for them ---if you own them simply don't buy them --- when they (lucasfilm and 20th century fox) see that a little have sold they will understand the need to put out the blu-ray set to get the rest of our cash ---- so like i said i wouldn't buy these. for the rest of you quit complaining about something you won't buy .

Cross over to HD children. All are welcome. All welcome. Go into the Light. There is peace and serenity in the Light.

poltimg3.jpg

AlivePoet said:
HD home video is completely unnecessary and a waste of money.

You've obviously never experienced HD on a 50" 1080p display before. Upconverted DVD's look soft compared to full 1080p. Try watching Blade Runner Final Cut or the 6 min Dark Knight Imax opening on the Batman Begins Bluray then you'll retract that foolish statement.

No Ticket

I think it's pretty obvious that Lucas really is doing this to get more money out of more people. You guys all know it. He really is. That's how it works. You don't have to flip out, but that is what's going on. He isn't your friend.

They released the box set from 06 or whatever, then (perhaps intentionally) released the OT again with the non-edited versions... the ex-special editions I guess. The original originals. They marketed that in a way to make it seem like buying those is your only chance at them.

See... now that everyone has bought those, the 2006 box set and probably the prequels... they'll re-design the packaging... possibly the menus on the DVDs... and release them again. Some will know this and buy it anyway because they can. Others will not. But they'll stand to make money anyway so why the hell not eh?

.... and they're doing this before Blu-Ray really catches on to milk DVD while it's still popular. Putting out a Blu-Ray set now would possibly compete too much with this re-release.

He's been doing this for years, well beyond DVD.

The Man

Lucas is merely milking the very last drop from DVD format before moving on to Blu-Ray - and then the grubbing will really begin...

First, they'll be released in one-disc editions, then two-discers, then the original trilogy box-set, then the prequel set, then the jumbo six-pack saga. And when that's' done, the 3-D versions will be ready to roll.

November's re-release is also a canny fail-safe in case Crystal Skull doesn't quite make megabucks on DVD.

There is no honourable reason for all this. It's strictly monetary...*

*They'll sell, too...

Mike00spy

The Man said:
Lucas is merely milking the very last drop from DVD format before moving on to Blu-Ray

So what? No one is physically stealing the money from your pocket to buy these. Give it a rest.

CasualJeff

I don't know...I still don't see how it's milking anything. It's just a package redesign. It happens to movies all the time. The initial run of DVDs will run out, and then when they make more they improve the packaging to make it look more up-to-date for the current movie-selling marketplace.

The Dark Crystal, for instance, is in a different box now than when I bought it on DVD five years ago. Big deal! It's the same movie.

It's not like he's repackaging a super-ultra edition, six months before finally releasing the blu-ray version. (That would be milking it, no doubt.) This set has the exact same DVD content before. I seriously doubt anybody is nerdy enough to spend $50 on a new box.

sandiegojones

Agent Spalko said:
You've obviously never experienced HD on a 50" 1080p display before. Upconverted DVD's look soft compared to full 1080p. Try watching Blade Runner Final Cut or the 6 min Dark Knight Imax opening on the Batman Begins Bluray then you'll retract that foolish statement.
Not everyone can afford new HD equipment either (even though I do have an HD and Blu-Ray). Don't be a presumptive a-hole!

Forbidden Eye

Ya know, who ever said Lucas was responsible for these releases?

Normally, when they just pack previous releases in a new box, they're store exclusives. It's all the retail stores that most likely pushed for this release.

AlivePoet

The Man said:
So the previous six are still consigned to DVD, but this garbage gets the Blu-Ray treatment?!

http://www.eucantina.net/archives/852

I see your point, but this is only due to the standard of new releases receiving blu-ray treatment in addition to standard DVD. The same happened when the prequels released before the original trilogy on DVD.

Also, the Star Wars trilogy was released on DVD not even 4 years ago, and people are now crying for a new release? Seems a bit early for that.

Agent Spalko said:

What I said wasn't foolish, but true. I have experienced what you talk about. It affects not my stance.

indyclone25

ive seen raiders on a 62 inch plasma and they movie was shown on a blu-ray machine --- i thought the picture was good but nothing more than that, my friend then showed me the batman imax clip from the batman begins blu-ray disc and i still saw no major difference than what i saw with the raiders dvd ------ so i will wait to before i buy a blu-ray player maybe when they go down to 100 bucks --- i would not spend 200-300 for a player ---thats insane --- and for those who have bought it great --- and for those who keep pushing it on everyone else it kinda like you having to buy the big fancy sports car to possibly compensate for the lack of something else , hmmmmm ?

iLUVINDY

indyclone25 said:
ive seen raiders on a 62 inch plasma and they movie was shown on a blu-ray machine --- i thought the picture was good but nothing more than that, my friend then showed me the batman imax clip from the batman begins blu-ray disc and i still saw no major difference than what i saw with the raiders dvd ------ so i will wait to before i buy a blu-ray player maybe when they go down to 100 bucks --- i would not spend 200-300 for a player ---thats insane --- and for those who have bought it great --- and for those who keep pushing it on everyone else it kinda like you having to buy the big fancy sports car to possibly compensate for the lack of something else , hmmmmm ?

HAHAHA, i completely agree (y) (y) (y)

The Man

You'd have to wonder just how kind Blu-Ray will be to Star Wars. Watch the standard DVD's on a hi-def player: certain visuals, certain planetary environments like Kamino don't hold up all that well. The latter episodes' settings (Cloud City) are much more impressive and consistent when slightly upscaled...