The Dark Knight

The Man

The Dark Knight is coming home. But how is he dressed..?

http://www.cinemablend.com/dvdnews/I-Don-t-Believe-In-The-Dark-Knight-Packaging-11757.html?tid=2924

_12188129799658.jpg
_12188129785224.jpg

Shortie

I saw it on Sunday. It was pretty damn good. Second best movie of the year & best film of the year.

Movie meaning fun, film meaning Oscar worthy typer stuff.

Shortie said:
I saw it on Sunday. It was pretty damn good. Second best movie of the year & best film of the year.

Movie meaning fun, film meaning Oscar worthy typer stuff.

Are those your own ridiculous, arbitrary definitions?

No Ticket

Peacock's-Eye said:
>>You NEVER EVER leave a cop inside a room with a prisoner who doesn't even have handcuffs on and one who is as dangerous as the Joker!! There is no need for the cop to "watch him" from inside the room. Just lock the door.<<
I found that to be really idiotic, unbelievable & lazy too.

Well. Batman broke the glass windows of the room and he probably could have gotten out through there so they sent a cop to watch him. The cop seems to be of the mindset that the Joker has no weapons so he is harmless. Not counting on the shards of glass (duh) that Joker could use.

I agree he gets out of the place rather easily, but, we don't really need to see how he got out. Obviously he blew the jail cell up, killed some cops and stole a police car.

It's not like you don't know he isn't going to die yet. He's the friggin Joker, he has immunity AT LEAST until his match-up with Batman at the end.

The Man

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2008/08/dark-knight-new.html

While "The Dark Knight" is poised to become the second-highest all-time box office champ this weekend, does this new status increase its Oscar hopes? Yes, of course, Heath Ledger will likely get a posthumous bid for best supporting actor, and it'll nab tech noms galore, but we're talkin' 'bout a shot at the big jackpot prize: best picture. Possible? Likely even?

DIrishB

No Ticket said:
Yeah but the 600 million is DOMESTIC gross so that doesn't matter really. I seriously doubt it could take the worldwide #1 spot.

As I said, if The Dark Knight were to stay in theaters half as long as Titanic was (9 months), I guarantee it would double or even triple Titanic's gross (domestic and foreign). The fact that its made as much as it has in less than a month (yes, still hasn't even been a month yet) speaks volumes of TDK's earning power...which this case proves shouldn't be concerned strictly with the total amount made by the movie, but the total amount made vs. time in theater.

Its hard not to break records when you're in theaters for the major portion of a year (Titanic), despite whatever "universal appeal" it may have had.

DocWhiskey said:
I like Downey, I think he's a good actor, but to me it seems he's just a tad jealous of TDK's success. Iron Man was an awesome film, but TDK blew it out of the water. And TDK isn't really a hard film to understand. I mean, you definetly need to see it more than once to get all the nuances here and there, but it still blows your mind seeing it once. And about the whole "**** DC Comics" line, that's straight up jealousy. I'm a way bigger Marvel fan than DC fan, but I still love both. Maybe he should have OD'ed so Iron Man could've been a bigger hit:rolleyes: .

I honestly think Downey was just joking. He's that type of guy. He's constantly sarcastic. He's also quite intelligent, so I doubt he failed to understand The Dark Knight. This is more along the lines of him just ribbing TDK merely because its a DC property and he's now established as playing the title character in a major Marvel franchise.

He's joking.

Mike00spy

DIrishB said:
As I said, if The Dark Knight were to stay in theaters half as long as Titanic was (9 months), I guarantee it would double or even triple Titanic's gross (domestic and foreign). The fact that its made as much as it has in less than a month (yes, still hasn't even been a month yet) speaks volumes of TDK's earning power...which this case proves shouldn't be concerned strictly with the total amount made by the movie, but the total amount made vs. time in theater.

Its hard not to break records when you're in theaters for the major portion of a year (Titanic), despite whatever "universal appeal" it may have had.

You seem to be looking at this the wrong way. Titantic's success wasn't just b/c "they left it in theaters." It was due to amazing repeat perfomance- even without adjusting for inflation, it made more money in its 4th weekend than TDK did. And it will continue to make more money each weekend from here on out than TDK.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=alltimegrossvs.htm

Between its 4th and 10th weekends, it made no less and 20 million a weekend, with some weekends actually being higher than the ones before, others only showing an 11% drop.

If TDK did those types of numbers, it WOULD be in theaters longer. But it will continure to drop about 40% each weekend which ensures that it will leave theaters much much sooner than Titantic.

No Ticket

The Man said:

Those look fake to me. Why would Batman by himself be on the disc from a promotional image that featured Joker and Harvey? Why are the photos all fuzzy? Have you seen the image of the "mask" set? It's even fuzzier. Don't you think just using the poster is kind of lazy? Don't you think they'd market it with more of The Joker on it?

Looks fake to me.

The Man

No Ticket said:
Those look fake to me. Why would Batman by himself be on the disc from a promotional image that featured Joker and Harvey? Why are the photos all fuzzy? Have you seen the image of the "mask" set? It's even fuzzier. Don't you think just using the poster is kind of lazy? Don't you think they'd market it with more of The Joker on it?

Looks fake to me.

Well, you could photoshop that Blu-Ray cover with your eyes closed...

Deckard

Its real Ticket.

There were 4 posters featuring the Batman image. One seperate image of each =3, then the 4th one had all 3 on it. Since it is a Batman movie w/o Batman in the title it makes sense to me to put at least a pic of Bats on there.

No Ticket

faaaaaaaaaaake!

Deckard said:
Its real Ticket.

There were 4 posters featuring the Batman image. One seperate image of each =3, then the 4th one had all 3 on it. Since it is a Batman movie w/o Batman in the title it makes sense to me to put at least a pic of Bats on there.

I know where it came from, the Batman pic. I think they'd do something a little more interesting for TDK than that. A batpod and/or a mask? Why not something cheaper and cool like a Joker card inside?

Plus have you seen how many fan-made dvd covers/cases are out there?

BTW they haven't been confirmed by the studio so no, it's not fact. Just look at one of the other images that go along with the batpod/blu-ray pics...

batmaskdvd.jpg

Just look how photoshopped this looks. The top of the art on the dvd, the drop shadow completely cut off on the side. Plus it's very fuzzy. And, check out the why so serious? ... it's part of the smile the Joker draws in that other poster but it's cut/pasted onto the brick wall smiley poster with a batman mask in front of it. Then notice the batman mask has cardboard behind the eyes are something (probably a pic taken from a mask toy you can already get)... and the lighting on the "plastic case" is just someone using a brush in photoshop (a rounded brush) and turning the opacity down.

FAKE!

faaaake!

Not to mention they probably wouldn't include the actors names across the poster for the DVD covers. Plus the Blu-Ray cover has a splotch of blue at the top left corner... left over from photoshopping... and the line that goes through the poster to create the illusion of the side of the blu-ray case does not "wrap around" the image. So it's really just a line to make it look like the side of the package.

tdkdvds.jpg

PLUS. With the Batpod pic, the box has HOW MANY bat symbols around the base? Too many. Amateur work. I don't think they'd have that many around the BOX and on the BASE? Not to mention how impractical it is to have the DVD stored inside a base like that.

batpod2dvd-440x256.jpg

Last edited:

No Ticket

Just to prove how easy it is to fake a DVD case.... here's something I threw together.

tdkcase.jpg

I think that'd be a better DVD cover, personally. As it mixes both Batman WITH the Joker theme.

DIrishB

Mike00spy said:
You seem to be looking at this the wrong way. Titantic's success wasn't just b/c "they left it in theaters." It was due to amazing repeat perfomance- even without adjusting for inflation, it made more money in its 4th weekend than TDK did. And it will continue to make more money each weekend from here on out than TDK.

I didn't say Titanic's sole success was due to the amount of time it was left in theaters, I just said it played a large role in that. Granted, the larger audience appeal (romance and action, etc) and a huge marketing push also contributed to that.

However, I'm saying that TDK can very realistically give it a run for its money. Not that it'll overtake it, but I expect it to become the 2nd all time worldwise grosser, behind Titanic.

Those huge opening weekend numbers for TDK went a long way, and so will its foreign take.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=weekend&id=alltimegrossvs.htm

Between its 4th and 10th weekends, it made no less and 20 million a weekend, with some weekends actually being higher than the ones before, others only showing an 11% drop.

If TDK did those types of numbers, it WOULD be in theaters longer. But it will continure to drop about 40% each weekend which ensures that it will leave theaters much much sooner than Titantic.

Granted. But I expect its foreign numbers to pull in more than the domestic gross (probably around 600-700 million when all is said and done), and by the time its taken out of theaters here in the US (probably around October) the domestic will probably have broken 600 million mark as well. And that hasn't even factored in future DVD sales (which will be quite profitable for the studio as well).

In the end, The Dark Knight will easily break a billion worldwide (and DVD sales could bump up the total profits for the studio to billion and a half within the first year of the DVD's release). Thats very notable.

Cropsy

Kickass movie, this is the only movie in my life i seen 11 times in theaters and i got better everytime i see it. Now it's number 2 on my top movies! definitely deserves and praise even with Heath Ledger's brilliant role as Joker.

The Man

No Ticket said:

Looks fake to me.

Could well be the real deal...*

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/08/21/the-dark-knight-batpod-gift-set-update/

*Well, the Batpod package, at least...

Cropsy

Can't wait! rumor has it there there might be an extended cut on Blu-Ray and DVD, now that would make my day for the coolest movie ever and the best movie around besides "Star Wars".