The Dark Knight

HovitosKing

Agent Spalko said:
I would love it if TDK dethroned Titanic. No movie has been more undeserving of being #1.

I happen to agree with you. I have no idea how that travesty was allowed to happen, or to survive as #1 for so long.

The Man

I seem to recall 'ickle Jake Lloyd proclaiming that the The Phantom Menace would "put Titanic in a box"...

Wasn't this kid supposed to see things before they happen..? :rolleyes:

No Ticket

Mike00spy said:
No, it can't. (I am assuming you are talking about all time)

Also, no one is adjusting Titantic's gross for inflation. . . which would make the total to beat 900 milllion.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

I'm well aware no one is adjusting it for inflation. I was just mentioning how much money Titanic would make in today's market. I mean if you think TDK is doing amazing now, Titanic would've made 900 million today. That's what I was trying to say. And All-Time Domestic is what I was talking about. (not all-time worldwide)

Titanic is an okay film. I've never seen it more than once though. But I couldn't see even then why it deserved #1.

MaxPhactor23

The thing with Titanic is that it had universal appeal. Nearly anyone can enjoy a love story/tragic period piece if done well. It doesn’t segregate it’s audience. Lets face it…how many old Grandmas, conservative families, and ogling lovestruck teenieboppers are you going to get with a guy dressed up like a bat fighting a madman clown? It doesn't matter how well it's done, the very concept doesn't win them over to begin with. It’s limiting their demographic. You’re going to get predominately males or comic nerds. You’ll get a few outsiders, more so with Ledgers death added to the mix, but the scope of tickets that could be sold for Titanic was of a much wider range of people types. For as much as I’d like Batman to be Titanics proverbial iceberg, I just can’t see it happening. Still…I’m more then pleased to see it’s fairing almost ridiculously well.

Last edited:

The Man

Iron Man Gives Batman Less Than Zero..?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a122064/downey-jr-slams-the-dark-knight.html

Downey Jr., whose Marvel superhero film Iron Man was the highest-grossing film of the year until Christopher Nolan's sequel debuted, told MovieHole that he found the latest Batman movie too complicated.

He explained: "It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie'.

"I didn't understand The Dark Knight. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy."

He added: "You know what? F*ck DC Comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."

This guy is still clean, right?

Peacock's-Eye

That's hilarious!
I guess he's just jealous.
Or the journalist made the whole thing up, which happens.
Or he's one seriously committed Marvelite!

Y'know, if you read IM issue #200 by Denny O'neil, from which they cribbed 50% of the movie, it actually has a better script than the film.

DocWhiskey

I like Downey, I think he's a good actor, but to me it seems he's just a tad jealous of TDK's success. Iron Man was an awesome film, but TDK blew it out of the water. And TDK isn't really a hard film to understand. I mean, you definetly need to see it more than once to get all the nuances here and there, but it still blows your mind seeing it once. And about the whole "**** DC Comics" line, that's straight up jealousy. I'm a way bigger Marvel fan than DC fan, but I still love both. Maybe he should have OD'ed so Iron Man could've been a bigger hit:rolleyes: .

Gustav

The Dark Knight was pretty complicated. Several times they have three different scenes happening at the same time and there were a talking scenes which I don't know what was being talked about. I also don't know why Batman had to take the blame for Two-Face killing people. That makes no sense.

Peacock's-Eye

Gustav said:
The Dark Knight was pretty complicated. Several times they have three different scenes happening at the same time and there were a talking scenes which I don't know what was being talked about. I also don't know why Batman had to take the blame for Two-Face killing people. That makes no sense.
The legend of Harvey Dent lives on to inspire the people of Gotham, because Batman is too dark & dangerous a hero. I think that was the idea.

Gustav said:

Because he can make the choice that no one else can make. Because he's the hero that Gotham needs, not the one that it deserves. Because he's the silent guardian, the watchful protector...

The Dark Knight.

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:
Because he can make the choice that no one else can make. Because he's the hero that Gotham needs, not the one that it deserves. Because he's the silent guardian, the watchful protector...

The Dark Knight.

Because he has an over-inflated ego and a napoleon complex that no one can top, because he has millions and billions of fan boys who can't take their eyes off his body in that tight outfit, because he's Batman, man and he's deep and dark and gothic and because he makes me feel better about myself!

Peacock's-Eye

Raiders112390 said:
Because he has an over-inflated ego and a napoleon complex that no one can top, because he has millions and billions of fan boys who can't take their eyes off his body in that tight outfit, because he's Batman, man and he's deep and dark and gothic and because he makes me feel better about myself!
Heh heh heh - brilliant.

I always knew that flaming peacock was eShine.

peacock_button.gif

DocWhiskey

Gustav said:

Harvey Dent becoming Two-Face was Joker's ace in the hole. All this other stuff he was doing was just a diversion to keep Batman busy while he brings Harvey down to his level. Harvey is inspiring the Gotham citizens with his courageousness and truth. He's their white knight. Joker wants to break Gotham's spirit by showing the citizens that even a saint like Harvey Dent could be corrupted and fail. Thus leading Gotham back to it's normal corrupted chaotic self. Showing there's no hope. And Joker succeeded. Harvey's spirit was broken and he went on a killing spree. So when Harvey was finally taken down, Batman decided he'd take the blame for the deaths since he's a neutral party. That way Gotham never knows what really happened to Dent. So they still see him as a white knight.

Simple, right?

Frankly I don't know why Batman and Gordon didn't just say, "Hey, let's just blame Harvey's killing spree on The Joker." But, whatever.

DocWhiskey said:
Frankly I don't know why Batman and Gordon didn't just say, "Hey, let's just blame Harvey's killing spree on The Joker." But, whatever.

A number of reasons:

1) When Dent had Gordon's family at the place where Rachel died, the police had a border already set up. By this time, Joker was in custody. Had they blamed Joker, everyone would have known they were lying. That would prompt an investigation into the other deaths. Batman and Gordon wanted to preserve Dent's image as the "White Knight," giving the citizens of Gotham hope.

2) Batman wouldn't want to falsely pin crimes on even someone like the Joker.

3) After the events of The Dark Knight, Batman can no longer allow himself to be affiliated with Gotham Police without risking more deaths. By "rebranding" himself, he not only severs all ties to authority, he is also "becoming the villain." As Dent is allowed to die a hero, Batman must accept the opposite responsibility. (i.e.- Dent's phrase, "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.")

4) Harvey Dent is a leading prosecutor. If word was to get out that he's a crazy killer, all the crime bosses in prison would have sufficient grounds for appeal. All the convictions of all the cases Dent has ever tried could be overturned, and all the crime bosses would be back on the street. The movie mentions this a few times. In their first meeting, the mayor cautioned Dent that he had better watch himself, because all they need is a little dirt on him and all the cases would crumble. During the scene where Dent threatens the fake honor guard who was actually a paranoid schizophrenic, Batman warns Dent that killing him would put all the cases in jeopardy. Batman reiterates this to Gordon at the end.

5) During their final confrontation, the Joker explains that Batman's weakness is his adherence to rules. Why abide by a code when your enemies obviously don't? Pinning Two-Face's crimes on Batman is sending a message to the public, and it's not a terribly positive one. This also plays into his psychological dilemma evidenced by the line "I've seen what I have to become to stop men like him."

DocWhiskey

^Ah, I see now. Thanks for the explanation, Spalko. I don't know how I overlooked those reasons. This movie is great to analyze because it all makes perfect sense.

Now all I need is an explanation on how the Joker is the only one standing when he blows up the body in the police department. But I think I'm gettin' to picky now.

The Man

He's looking at 24 whole hours...

http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2008/08/man_dressed_as_joker_gets_1_da.html

A man made up as the "Joker" who police say was caught trying to steal Batman movie posters from a Three Rivers theater pleaded guilty Tuesday to a property-destruction misdemeanor and was sentenced to one day in jail.

Spencer Taylor, 20, of Three Rivers, also was ordered to do 16 hours of community service work and to pay victim restitution of $300 and court costs and fines by March 1 in order to avoid a 14-day jail term, a spokeswoman for the St. Joseph County Prosecutor's Office said.

small_small_joker07.jpg

"I want my phonecall."

Mike00spy

DocWhiskey said:
Now all I need is an explanation on how the Joker is the only one standing when he blows up the body in the police department. But I think I'm gettin' to picky now.

It's called a plot hole.