IMDB Ranking

Dr. Joenes

Ah yes the unimpeachable rating system that put The Dark Knight ahead of virtually every film ever made as the best movie ever.

I love Batman - I'm a huge fan and I've read hundreds of comics. The Dark Knight is one of the best films of its kind ever but its position on that rating system relative to the history of filmmaking is patently ridiculous and I am confident Christopher Nolan himself would agree.

With each passing day the internet becomes a less reliable indicator of just about anything. Just because the same few dozen media outlets keep chasing around the same nattering goofballs that attract eyeballs and parroting their bile means nothing - particularly as it concerns movies.

Darth Vile

Dr. Joenes said:
Ah yes the unimpeachable rating system that put The Dark Knight ahead of virtually every film ever made as the best movie ever.

I love Batman - I'm a huge fan and I've read hundreds of comics. The Dark Knight is one of the best films of its kind ever but its position on that rating system relative to the history of filmmaking is patently ridiculous and I am confident Christopher Nolan himself would agree.

With each passing day the internet becomes a less reliable indicator of just about anything. Just because the same few dozen media outlets keep chasing around the same nattering goofballs that attract eyeballs and parroting their bile means nothing - particularly as it concerns movies.

I'd agree with that... and it's a debate we've had often. I'd sooner listen to my grans opinion of KOTCS than the fools on AICN and imdb (and she has alzheimers).

Major West

Sankara said:
imdb is an indikator. Like rottentomatoes

I disagree. I wouldn't trust either of those sites if I was looking for vaild review or rating on something. You only have to read the message boards to see what you are dealing with.

As a fan of films, one should know where to look and it aint there.

Blade

Sankara said:
@Darth Vile
I mean as the worst of the Indiana Jones-Movies.

I'm suprised about how highly IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes have rated KOTCS. I thought it should have been completley panned, but judging by their scores it is a decent movie. And Rotten Toms in particluar is a reputable source.

AtomicAge

If Crystal Skull is a failure then PLEASE let me make one just like it!!! It is after all the highest grossing Indy film of all, and the 23 highest gross film of all time domestically.

I don't think anyone at Paramount, Lucasfilm, or Dreamworks is disappointed with this film.

Doug

AtomicAge

Sankara said:
It is after all the highest grossing Indy film of all??? I'm sorry but this is totally wrong!

Raiders of the Lost Ark = $384,140,454 world wide

Temple of Doom = $333,107,271 world wide

Last Crusade = $474,171,806 world wide

Crystal Skull = $783,734,602 world wide

Of course this is not adjusted for inflation, but that is not how the records are kept. Clearly Crystal Skull is the biggest grossing Indy film.

Doug

Sankara

Right! It is NOT adjusted for inflation. So... clearly Crystal Skull is NOT the biggest grossing Indy film... :D

AtomicAge

Sankara said:
Right! It is NOT adjusted for inflation. So... clearly Crystal Skull is NOT the biggest grossing Indy film... :D

Again adjusting for inflation is not how official records are kept.

Blade

AtomicAge said:
Again adjusting for inflation is not how official records are kept.

So what?

The film was made because they wanted to make millions and everyone wanted to see the new Indy. Shame the film completely ruined the franchise but well done for making loads of cash.

AtomicAge

Blade said:
So what?

The film was made because they wanted to make millions and everyone wanted to see the new Indy. Shame the film completely ruined the franchise but well done for making loads of cash.

In your opinion.

Doug

Darth Vile

AtomicAge said:
In your opinion.

Doug

They won't listen Doug... No matter how articulate or intelligent the argument is, or how the evidence stacks up against them... they will come back with the same ole' "KOCS sucked ballz... and that's a fact carved in tablets of stone". :rolleyes:

The Man

IMDb is simply a barometer of people's reactions. Be they regular Joe's or lunatics, they vote based on how they felt towards a movie. They can't be dismissed out of hand. Ask yourselves honestly: should the movie have a ranking of 8.5? 8.0?

Fact: Crystal Skull has never gone beyond 7.0...and is now slipping lower. This myth that the majority of viewers 'embraced' Indy 4 is a desperate exaggeration. Mixed. Average. Lukewarm. Not remotely good enough.

Finn

Staff member
AtomicAge said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark = $384,140,454 world wide

Temple of Doom = $333,107,271 world wide

Last Crusade = $474,171,806 world wide

Crystal Skull = $783,734,602 world wide
The value of the dollar was an all-time high in the mid-eighties when it was roughly the double of what it is now. However, even if you give a x2 for ToD it still doesn't reach the sums KotCS did.

In the late eighties the world was entering a recession and the dollar was about as weak as it is now.

So if we do take the inflation into account, we get the BO list as:
1. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
2. Temple of Doom
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
4. The Last Crusade

Funny... the two films of the tetralogy generally considered the worst dominate the market. Now I wonder how people are going twist this.