General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

IndyFan89

Attila the Professor said:
Of course, it's probable enough that they wouldn't need any on location stuff for the university anyhow. They've had their fun on campus; I doubt they'd need anything more than a classroom and Indy's home, if even those.

You're right, and that is if there is even a scene in a class room, they could go with the TOD approach.

My main concern is that they learn from the last one and cut out the campy, happy go lucky, nonsense crap. I want to see Indy shoot someone, I want to see Indy do all the action, and I want to see Mutt brushed under the rug like Jar Jar.

Maybe George and Steven's eyes are clouded from so many Indy films, maybe Steven needs to pass the torch to someone who still cares about the franchise, like they did with the Clone Wars cartoon.

lao che & sons

Attila the Professor said:
Of course, it's probable enough that they wouldn't need any on location stuff for the university anyhow. They've had their fun on campus; I doubt they'd need anything more than a classroom and Indy's home, if even those.

But what about the classic wide shot of the university as a period-style car drives past students walking to classes. that would to be a location shoot;)

Stoo

lao che & sons said:
But what about the classic wide shot of the university as a period-style car drives past students walking to classes. that would to be a location shoot;)
Not necessarily, lao. They could just re-use the shot from "Raiders" and change it to suit the period (like they did with "Skull").;)

[
MarshallCollege.jpg

Anyway, *if* there is a 5th film, I don't want to see Indy in class. It's a been-there-done-that scenario. Something new & different ("Temple of Doom"-style) is the only path to take.:gun:

Meerkat

Grizzlor said:
Not shooting until 2011, sheesh! That seems way too far in the future for a studio to have set up, but given the schedules of Spielberg and others, I guess they have to prepare far in advance. What's odd is wasn't New Haven used to film the last movie? Would she not be there again?
Sighhh...one year...that's such a long time to wait.
Too bad we can't preorder tickets...xD

lao che & sons

Stoo said:
Not necessarily, lao. They could just re-use the shot from "Raiders" and change it to suit the period (like they did with "Skull").;)

[
MarshallCollege.jpg

Anyway, *if* there is a 5th film, I don't want to see Indy in class. It's a been-there-done-that scenario. Something new & different ("Temple of Doom"-style) is the only path to take.:gun:

Ok, I had no idea. I've always loved the traditional shot. But I agree lets do this temple of doom style ie: prequal, no classroom, and darker... much darker:D

Darth Vile

lao che & sons said:
Ok, I had no idea. I've always loved the traditional shot. But I agree lets do this temple of doom style ie: prequal, no classroom, and darker... much darker:D
TOD had its share of dark/moody lighting, but it wasn't really a "dark" movie. It's probably one of the most frivolous ones to date i.e. light weight and comical. So I for one really hope Spielberg/Lucas don't try and replicate that particular Indy movie. :)

Indy's brother

Indy's brother is back from the dead

Not dark or gritty, but taking it serious would be a refreshing return to form. I just let my 3 year old watch parts of Skull for the first time...

His reponse to the fridge scene: "Is Iniana Jones okaaaay?" "Yeah, he's alright" "But he's got boo-boo's riiight?" "Uhh no, he's ok."

Not even a bruise. Even a three-year-old couldn't suspend his disbelief.

That being said, I for one am actually psyched to see another installment. There was a lot of talent in KOTCS, but alot of it was misplaced. There is plenty of life in this franchise and even though we are more fanatic about it than the big three, they aren't dumb enough to think otherwise. Ford, Berg, Lucas, Allen, and Lebouf have all made comments about another film. It's not a conspiracy to annoy fans. They are actually talking about it for sure. It may or may not happen, but they are not denying the possibility; quite the contrary, which is encouraging.

If it has to be a sequel (and from all that we've heard so far, it will be) leave Marion at home for a cameo. Mutt can be the "Damsel in distress". Indy has to save someone in every film, that's a part of the formula. But focus on ONE person to save, not like in KOTCS where he had to save Marion, Ox, Mutt, AND Mac...and all by serendipity. Give Indy a FOCUS.

If they (beards) want/need to be formulatic about it, instead of having Ford ape lines like "This is intolerable" to reflect the father-son thing, let Indy have a real moment with Mutt. Like in LC where H.J. Sr. saves the day with is umbrella. This time, though, he can give that understanding look to his son instead of his father. THAT would be an opportunity for character development/progression. Much rather have that than having Mutt kick ass for an escape while Dr. Jones is relagated to a line like "What are we doing, kid?" Hey, I get that Indy is older, but he's not helpless or stupid. If I wanted that, I wouldn't be an Indy fan.

If it's going to be a prequel (which I doubt) indyfan85 is right about dying Ford's hair. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised they didn't do it for Skull. Not to try and make him look like he's 34 again, but just to keep him from looking older than he should. Hell, (for some reason) by the end of Skull, Ford looked like he did 10 years ago! Just a couple of highlights in his hair would open the opportunity for a different era, and help make Jones sexy again, which is a part of why women love him and fanboys try to emulate him.

It's been a long time since I've posted here, for a lot of reasons I'd rather not get into, but I have to say, Mickiana's last post in this thread has the most firm grasp of Indy's character that I've read in a long time, kudos.

Darth Vile said:
TOD had its share of dark/moody lighting, but it wasn't really a "dark" movie. It's probably one of the most frivolous ones to date i.e. light weight and comical. So I for one really hope Spielberg/Lucas don't try and replicate that particular Indy movie. :)

I agree. Temple had a dark story, with the voodoo, children being abused slaves, and human sacrifice. But the execution was actually so light and comic bookish that it was not really a dark film. I don't think Indy 5 needs a darker story, but a grittier, weightier feel would really be awesome. In Raiders it was always obvious that the characters were taking everything seriously. In Skull, all the characters seemed like they were on a ride at an amusement park.

arkfinder

TOD had too feel like a comic because of content. It was in those terms a very dark movie.

Raiders still has the best balance of content darkness and a slight comic edge.

While Crusade is the best story it too is comicest (can I say that? lol)

Skull's biggest problem is that the dark isn't dark enough the content isn't moody enough. The comic side feels like a let down.

Indiana Jones 5 must go back to the orignal films to recapture what made Indy fans well fans.

I think with the fans outcry we see better results. But, will it be enough?

indyfan85

I loved the darker side of the Indy movies, In particular the Raiders scene where Indy is about to murder Belloq in cold blood in a public place (fairly sure he wouldn't have thought about pulling his gun on Belloq if he wasn't so mentally stressed about losing Marion at the time).

TOD has a man burning alive with his heart ripped out, a dude getting crushed in a giant wheel, the slave children...etc so all in all TOD is a more graphic movie than the first one with darker subject matter but there are some extreme comedy moments that really seem to balance it out a bit. Indy has never been a gorefest but it's just violent enough for adults to appreciate and the new one sort of lost that, aside from the ant scene which was pretty cool.

foreignerfred

In 1998, Kasdan reportedly worked on Indy IV for months with Steven, back before the director had given in to Lucas' alien demands. I'm thinking since Lucas got his way with KOTCS, we will now get Steven's Indy IV idea in the form of Indy V.

Yes, this is speculation, but if this is to be the final Indy film, Kasdan's involvement is a no-brainer...ESPECIALLY if he developed a new Indy story with Steven 12 years ago. Digest that a moment, and then consider Raiders' upcoming anniversary.

The big surprise of KOTCS was Marion's return. I'm guessing Indy V will bring a surprise all its own...the return of Lawrence Kasdan.

I have a good feeling.

Hope.

Ff

foreignerfred

CairoJones said:
From what I heard at he Indy Lounge they were going to try to bring Indy's father back it to the movie.I thought he was dead?:)

Nothing a little...

A.) time travel

B.) journey into the after life

C.) Lucas PREQUEL

...can't fix.

I mean, they can basically do whatever they want under the "B Sci-Fi from the 50's!" umbrella.

I personally believe that Connery isn't coming back, but that's just a feeling.

Ff

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
foreignerfred said:
A.) time travel

These are the only concepts I can think of that would top what we've seen. The afterlife, Eden, the flaming sword and Revelations fit with the Cuban Missile Crisis of the early 60's.

Time travel fits with the space race of the late 60's (some Mir astronauts are milliseconds younger than they should be due to hundreds of days in orbit). At the end of Indy 6, trap Indy in a wormhole for 50 years so he arrives at present day? That's how you cap a new trilogy!

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moedred said:
At the end of Indy 6, trap Indy in a wormhole for 50 years so he arrives at present day? That's how you cap a new trilogy!

If Indiana Jones meets Doc. Brown in a Flying Delorean.....I am officially subjecting myself to seppuku.

IndyFan89

foreignerfred said:
Nothing a little...

A.) time travel

C.) Lucas PREQUEL

...can't fix.

I mean, they can basically do whatever they want under the "B Sci-Fi from the 50's!" umbrella.

I personally believe that Connery isn't coming back, but that's just a feeling.

Ff

Calm down cowboy.

Allot of fans don't want to be under the "B Sci-Fi from the 50's!" umbrella thank you, lets got back to the "B Adventures from the 30's". You KOCS fans will be happy with that and we can all be one happy family again.

a 30's b-movie adventure in the 50's, that way it feels more like the return of Indy rather that the re-imagining of Indy, I'm sure thats what allot of us was hoping for originally.

Thats what Skull was missing. :(

foreignerfred

IndyFan89 said:
Calm down cowboy.

Well, "cowboy," I wasn't speaking out of excitement, I was attempting to explore the possibilities that might be floating around Lucas' greased up spit curl when he says "B Sci-Fi movie from the `50's."

If they want Henry Sr. back, they'll justify some way to make that happen. I was simply listing some ideas Lucas might consider reasonable under the "new vision" for Indiana Jones in the `50's.

And I didn't write ANYTHING bout Crystal Skull. So how do you know that I "love" it? That I'm one of those "KOCS fans?"

I don't love KOTCS. I love Indiana Jones. I would assume that's why any of us are here.