TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > General Indiana Jones Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #151
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
I always assumed John Rhys-Davies reprised his role as Sallah for the attraction, though this video suggests otherwise.

Well he did, both in the film that appears in the queue and in the promotional tv special that appeared at the time the attraction opened. (Not that I'm telling you anything new here.) And I always assumed that the Sallah giving instructions at departure and arrival was him as well. Based on the fellow in the video being named "Bobby," and a blog post I found from another voice actor saying she had met the person who does Sallah on the ride while doing voice work for Kingdom Hearts II, and just the fellow's general appearance, it seems that it might be an actor named Robert Costanzo, as seen here:

That being said, the ears and head shape seem slightly off, and his Damon Runyon-esque voice, despite being a voice actor, means he might not be the guy. (His role in Kingdom Hearts II was Phil, the Danny DeVito character from Hercules.)

So file this one under "for further research."

As for the map, I spent a fair deal of time examining that in one of the better texts on Disney themed design, one called Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance. (There was a superb exhibit on that book at the Andy Warhol Museum about twelve years ago. I /think/ a Temple of the Forbidden Eye model might have been there. I'd have to find my photos, but I have no idea where they'd be. Here's a decently sized copy, but not huge:

And here's a really big one!

And here's something else to spend some time looking at.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #152
cool indy
IndyFan

TEMPLE OF THE FORBIDDEN EYE Wallpapers and Screensavers

A few years ago before disneyland.com was fixed, the Indiana Jones and The Temple Of The Forbidden Eye site had downloads like the decoder card, wallpapers or the screensaver with the Mara idol. What happened after the website was fixed? I didn't see any downloads any more. If they still exist, where can I get them?
cool indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #153
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

There being examined by top men.....
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #154
Attila the Professor

This site has some multimedia, three versions of the decoder card included.

And there is, while I'm on the subject, a couple more hi-res versions of the Forbidden Eye map here...suitable for wallpaper.

As for the screensaver...I don't know.

(Oh, and threads merged.)
Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #155
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
And there is, while I'm on the subject, a couple more hi-res versions of the Forbidden Eye map here...suitable for wallpaper.

Yep, much better. Still not detailed enough to for printing. I'll keep my eye out for further auctions.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #156
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorJones
Karen: "So where's Indy?"
John: "Oh, he's in there somewhere. You know him, beaverin' away."
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #157
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Well he did, both in the film that appears in the queue and in the promotional tv special that appeared at the time the attraction opened. (Not that I'm telling you anything new here.)

That's why I typed "suggests" and not "confirms".

Quote:
And I always assumed that the Sallah giving instructions at departure and arrival was him as well. Based on the fellow in the video being named "Bobby," and a blog post I found from another voice actor saying she had met the person who does Sallah on the ride while doing voice work for Kingdom Hearts II, and just the fellow's general appearance, it seems that it might be an actor named Robert Costanzo...

So file this one under "for further research."

Well, I've done some further research(through Miceage.com), and I'm sorry to say you're wrong Atilla, it isn't Robert Costanzo, but Bob Joles.

Here's his IMDB page with his pic and credits
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM   #158
Attila the Professor

Quote:
That's why I typed "suggests" and not "confirms".

Naturally. But even so, only to some extent.

Quote:
Well, I've done some further research(through Miceage.com), and I'm sorry to say you're wrong Atilla, it isn't Robert Costanzo, but Bob Joles.

Here's his IMDB page with his pic and credits

Hah, yeah. Forgot to check on the Bobs.

I guess the real question is whether Sallah's speech has ever changed in the history of the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. Also whether anyone who's really good at recognizing voices could make out whether it's Rhys-Davies or not.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #159
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Got off the ride at Disneyland literally 3 min ago - I'm sitting in front of the Jungle Cruise. I believe I have the answer.

The voice in the filmstrip definitely (still) sounds like John Rhys-Davies. However, you also hear Sallah when the cars are pulling out and pulling in ("Please remain seated..."). The voice for those doesn't sound at all like JRD; much higher pitched and the timing is off. Admittedly it could be tinnier speakers and poorer acoustics, but IMHO we heard better Sallah impressions on the IndyCast.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #160
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash
Got off the ride at Disneyland literally 3 min ago - I'm sitting in front of the Jungle Cruise. I believe I have the answer.

The voice in the filmstrip definitely (still) sounds like John Rhys-Davies. However, you also hear Sallah when the cars are pulling out and pulling in ("Please remain seated..."). The voice for those doesn't sound at all like JRD; much higher pitched and the timing is off. Admittedly it could be tinnier speakers and poorer acoustics, but IMHO we heard better Sallah impressions on the IndyCast.

Well, yeah, that was always the point in the ride where it was possible that Sallah wasn't him, along with prior to pulling back into the station. Still, having you think it sounds different in person counts for something. I'm still curious why it wasn't him in the first place though (if it wasn't, and if this other fellow didn't just replace him at some point when something of the audio changed).

I actually have access to pulling up those audio clips, but it's not as a permanent thing, it's part of a streaming request-based Disney theme parks radio station. Perhaps we can find a time when a number of us would be able to listen. (After all, trying to record them would just introduce another layer of trouble.)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:38 AM   #161
Attila the Professor

Here's a picture of the interior of the queue that's entirely new - too large to post here, but well worth checking out.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #162
Attila the Professor

Head's up to any of you who are presently online...in less than 10 minutes, at 1:11 AM EST, a selection of music and sounds from the Temple of the Forbidden Eye will begin playing here. I'm not the one who pulled them up...and at some later date I could schedule something like that...but I just saw it and figured I'd tell you. This will be running until 1:46, with a couple of interruptions for other tracks.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:37 AM   #163
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Cool. Bizarre, but cool. The service I mean. Further proof of the rule that, on the Internet, there is always someone more obsessed with something than you are.

(Now pardon me while I dig up the "Oceania" loop from Small World.)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #164
GWSFilms
IndyFan

I guess they're doing more refurb on it this year. After adding hte new Indy figure at the 'Gates of Doom,' I'm hoping they update the other figures throughout the ride, as well as fix the gates. It's kind of lame when the doors don't open and close; allowing you to see EVERYTHING that is going to happen to you before hand. That, and the figures are looking very worn out and...unstable.
GWSFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #165
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:

Just a little follow up...

JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #166
mattzilla2010
IndyFan

Quote:
Just a little follow up...

Great stuff, thanks!
mattzilla2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #167
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzilla2010
Great stuff, thanks!

No problem. Nice, little rarity.
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #168
Attila the Professor

Still on the lookout for a high-quality, downloadable version of a fuller form of the audio of the attraction, in a fashion that includes some of the queue and exit music, but you can at least listen to it here.

(Not that there isn't good stuff right under your noses.)

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 10-25-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #169
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
Still on the lookout for a high-quality, downloadable version of a fuller form of the audio of the attraction, in a fashion that includes some of the queue and exit music, but you can at least listen to it here.

(Not that there isn't good stuff right under your noses.)

That's pretty good. There are noticeable differences in the dialogue when I went on it a couple f years back (and yes, film it). I'm amazed that my camera managed to catch most of this soundtrack. There are definitely dialogue differences on my recording (recording was done Christmas '09). Most of the dialogue was cut shorter and there was another variation for the End Sallah dialogue for those who received future sight. That and the short film in this soundtrack has Sallah going into the temple and receiving future sight and being asked about the World Series. Interesting touch.

So would this be the original soundtrack that has now been modified and shortened dialogue?
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #170
Rocket Surgeon

Interesting article...

Vigilance a full-time job on Indiana Jones ride

Quote:
ANAHEIM – An army keeps one of Disneyland's most elaborate and popular rides safe.

Indiana Jones Adventure was among the most innovative attractions ever created when it opened in 1995: It was the first to put an independently moving platform that holds the passengers, like the Star Tours' simulator, on top of a vehicle that runs along a track.

Today, the Jeep-journey ride ranks as the second-most expensive attraction to maintain in the Disneyland Resort, behind California Screamin' at Disney California Adventure, said Jeff Corder, Disney senior manager of engineering services.

To provide The Orange County Register with a look at its safety measures, Disney gave a behind-the-scenes tour of Indiana Jones, which handles 1,800 riders per hour.

Hundreds of employees are trained to work at Indiana Jones, including 12 machinists and mechanics. At any given time, 18 operators are on duty. In a year, employees receive 27,000 work orders, such as fixing hydraulic leaks, replacing light bulbs and installing tires.

The inspection cycle begins about midnight with workers looking at the 17 vehicles, each weighing about 12,800 pounds.

A computer only allows credentialed employees to sign off on inspection tasks: When hundreds of jobs are finished, a green Mickey Mouse thumbs-up appears; if anything is left out, a red thumbs-down shows up.

Every morning, operators walk the tracks. Vehicles roll from a warehouse behind the dock and wind through the ride's course. When the Jeeps reach the entrance, operators buckle the seat belts and yank on the straps.
When the public is aboard, any operator can stop the vehicles. Two are needed to restart the ride.

In 2001, Disney revealed in a court case that 313 visitors reported injuries from an Indiana Jones ride with jerky motions over three years before the state began tracking incidents in 2000.

At least four injury-related lawsuits were filed, including one by a family blaming a woman's fatal aneurysm on the ride. The cases were privately settled.

Disney has since altered the ride and added cushioning. The state investigated eight reports in 2009 and 2010.

In June 2009, Disney workers determined that a steering valve had failed and caused a vehicle to hit a wall. One man reported neck and leg pain, and a woman said she had shoulder pain – claims that they made six months later. The valve had been in service for 15 years. Because of the incident, Disney started replacing valves every four years.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #171
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Anyone have a pointer to clean audio for the pre-ride video, i.e. the "Eye on the Globe" segments and the Sallah Safety Spiel? YouTube links are fine (i.e. I can strip audio); I just haven't found anything w/o crowd noises.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #172
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
Wow... a friend of mine used to work janitorial services at Disneyland. He was one of the folks who did a walk through every night/early morning, but he was picking up trash, nothing to do with maintenance. He hated it.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #173
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lutz
And with a planned two month rehab for Indiana Jones this fall...

It's just a single sentence in an otherwise lengthy article, but Mr. Lutz is generally spot on with his information. The unfortunate thing though, is I have been unable to find any information regarding the planned rehab aside from a vague rumor of the "rat room" being upgraded with some effects that were originally cut due to budget constraints.

If I had to peg a time frame for this rehab I would look to the beginning of September through the end of October. This would allow Temple of the Forbidden Eye to carry though the busy Summer season, and open up in time for the Holiday season. Yes, there's Halloween. But the big attraction then is, of course, the Haunted Mansion.

For those of you who never had the opportunity to experience it in all of its operational glory when it originally opened, hopefully this long overdue rehab will allow you the chance to experience it in all of its operational glory.

I'll confer with the Buddha of the Breakdown and see if I can't divine any solid information.

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #174
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Asps! Very dangerous. You go first.

File this under one of those things I meant to post while I didn't have a computer...

The Temple of Mara has been shuttered. Yes, closed. The ride has been dark since the 5th of September while WDI sets about sprucing up the attraction. Scouring the 'net hasn't provided much in the way of legitimate information except the usual " lighting, paint, figure animation and other effects, and possibly a new show feature."

That's the one tantalizing bit that I've been able to dig up. Note that they say it's possible that there'll be a new show feature. It's not official, but one rumor I have heard is that they'll be widening the bridge over the lava pit for a new vehicle maneuver. Whether or not this actually happens or is simply part of the new safety craze that has beset Disneyland remains to be seen.

There's also this interesting bit of trivia I never knew concerning the ride:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Savage
There's an interesting, little-known history to the Hall of Descending Blocks. Like the Spike Room, there was a special effect built into the room: one of the diamond shape floor stones was raised about 1/2" and when stepped on would cause several of the ceiling blocks to vibrate & lower. During the pre-opening walkthroughs/testing, people kept stumbling over the raised diamond, so it was flattened and the effect was permanently turned off.

With today's sensor technology, perhaps a new, flat trigger panel could be installed and effect finally turned back on.

I had the pleasure of riding the Temple of the Forbidden Eye in its first month of existence, and it was an absolutely thrilling experience. When all of the effects were working the ride was beyond reproach. If WDI can return the ride to its original state after all of these years, I will be a very happy camper.

Two things I would like put back that aren't actually ride related: 1.) the two archeologists in the well room who provided in situ humor & advice while you were waiting in line. Next time you go, glance up in the general direction of the two ladders. You'll notice a couple of platforms where they worked. 2.) The "fun phone" opposite the truck.

Enthusiasts will find out (fingers crossed) on the 7th of December whether or not the refurb is successful and if the ride was happily "plussed" or everything is as it was.

In other news, the typically dreadful Aladdin's Oasis has been closed until sometime in mid-2013. It was a decent restaurant in its original inception, but since it turned into "storytime with..." its been all down hill. Hopefully it gets re-themed to something a bit more appropriate to Adventureland.

If they're taking requests, I sincerely hope that WDI replaces that mega-sized king cobra for something different; or, at least more realistic. That does it in for me nearly everytime.

To this I should also mention the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost. Up until very recently, one had the option of plunking a few quarters into the original Indiana Jones Pinball Adventure. That's now gone. Did you want postcards or movie posters? Gone. T-shirts? Reduced to two options. Instead there was a really cheap child's playset available -- think chunky plastic machete -- and a Mickey Mouse as Indiana Jones Bank. Merchandise is, of course, limited due to the ridiculously limited scope of the series, but there should always be a rotating stock for all ages and sizes.

Indiana Jones is not a child friendly adventure.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #175
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

What are they doing for the refurbishments? I work for the joint and have no idea why the ride is closed... Go figure
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote