General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Dr. Gonzo

Ajax the Great said:
The ultimate Indy IV script could have come out of a collaboration between Koepp and Darabont - they could have hit the middle ground.

This is exactly why I have been clamoring for the release of the JEFF NATHANSON draft! His draft is the missing link between Darabont and Koepp. He got story credit. I would really love to see if Nathanson's draft was the balance between "City of Gods" and "Crystal Skull".

How do we go about retrieving it?

James

monkey said:
I'm thinking hard here, but I can't come up with any other fictional character ever who was so bound and tied to an actual living actor whose human frailties and age restrictions so limited the character. This "Ford IS Indiana Jones" dogma truly is unique.

Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry is one that immediately springs to mind. Both Indy and Harry are signature roles that represent everything audiences love about the respective actor. Ironically, both also overshadow what had previously been a defining role for each: The Man With No Name and Han Solo.

Eastwood will turn 80 in May, yet there is still a very real demand to see him reprise his most famous role. Warner has wanted him to do it for two decades. Even younger audiences are open to the idea, as witnessed by the rampant speculation last year that Gran Torino would be Harry's swansong. (Obviously, it was not, yet it did find Eastwood veering closer to his Dirty Harry persona than he had in a long time. The end result was his highest-grossing film in both the US and UK.)

Why are audiences so committed to these particular portrayals? One reason is that both Eastwood and Ford played a large role in actually creating the characters. They took what was essentially a stock archetype and breathed life into it. You can always take James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, or Batman back to their roots. Or even back to one of many incarnations of the character. But if you hire an actor to play Dirty Harry or Indiana Jones, they're essentially going to be, first and foremost, imitating another actor in the role. (To a lesser extent, we see this with a lot of other cult film characters, such as Snake Plissken or Mad Max.)

Shatner as Captain Kirk is a good example, in that Shatner was solely identified with the role for over 40 years. However, there are two important distinctions with that comparison. The first is that Star Trek is an ensemble piece with, literally, galaxies full of storytelling potential. As hard as it was to imagine anyone else taking over the role of Kirk, the overall concept was still a pretty easy sell to audiences. The second major difference is that, over the course of those four decades, the character of Kirk managed to take on a life of his own. When Chris Pine stepped into the role, it was one that had also been represented by hundreds of books, games, short stories, etc.

By comparison, the various attempts to spin off Indiana Jones have just never met with the same level of commercial success. The character's mainstream appeal has always been driven almost entirely by Harrison Ford's portrayal. Yes, the character itself enjoys a loyal following, but even that support is inconsistent. Fans are divided on which films represent the "real" character or world of Indiana Jones. Many can't stand the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, while others prefer it to the three sequels. They're split on the handful of books. It's even getting to the point where ROTLA is no longer a given to be ranked first, as many fans now have fonder memories of growing up with TOD or LC.

So even if someone were to reboot the character- setting aside the obvious rights issues for a moment- which direction would they go in? Do they continue the tradition of Indy as pulpy, family-oriented fare? Try to placate grown men in their twenties and thirties that need their childhood heroes to be taken very seriously? Completely change the tone of the series by giving it a modern update? Risk being considered just another rip-off, by attempting to recycle the formula established in ROTLA? After all, other filmmakers have already been making Dirty Harry and Indiana Jones films for decades. They've simply used different names for their main characters.

Montana Smith said:
I think it is pretty unique for the same actor to remain involved with a movie character for what will be over 30 years.

Not to mention, the (essentially) same creative team behind the camera as well. So yes, it's extremely unique.

Last edited:

monkey

James said:
Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry is one that immediately springs to mind. Both Indy and Harry are signature roles that represent everything audiences love about the respective actor. Ironically, both also overshadow what had previously been a defining role for each: The Man With No Name and Han Solo.

Eastwood will turn 80 in May, yet there is still a very real demand to see him reprise his most famous role. Warner has wanted him to do it for two decades. Even younger audiences are open to the idea, as witnessed by the rampant speculation last year that Gran Torino would be Harry's swansong. (Obviously, it was not, yet it did find Eastwood veering closer to his Dirty Harry persona than he had in a long time. The end result was his highest-grossing film in both the US and UK.)

Why are audiences so committed to these particular portrayals? One reason is that both Eastwood and Ford played a large role in actually creating the characters. They took what was essentially a stock archetype and breathed life into it. You can always take James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, or Batman back to their roots. Or even back to one of many incarnations of the character. But if you hire an actor to play Dirty Harry or Indiana Jones, they're essentially going to be, first and foremost, imitating another actor in the role. (To a lesser extent, we see this with a lot of other cult film characters, such as Snake Plissken or Mad Max.)

Shatner as Captain Kirk is a good example, in that Shatner was solely identified with the role for over 40 years. However, there are two important distinctions with that comparison. The first is that Star Trek is an ensemble piece with, literally, galaxies full of storytelling potential. As hard as it was to imagine anyone else taking over the role of Kirk, the overall concept was still a pretty easy sell to audiences. The second major difference is that, over the course of those four decades, the character of Kirk managed to take on a life of his own. When Chris Pine stepped into the role, it was one that had also been represented by hundreds of books, games, short stories, etc.

By comparison, the various attempts to spin off Indiana Jones have just never met with the same level of commercial success. The character's mainstream appeal has always been driven almost entirely by Harrison Ford's portrayal. Yes, the character itself enjoys a loyal following, but even that support is inconsistent. Fans are divided on which films represent the "real" character or world of Indiana Jones. Many can't stand the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, while others prefer it to the three sequels. They're split on the handful of books. It's even getting to the point where ROTLA is no longer a given to be ranked first, as many fans now have fonder memories of growing up with TOD or LC.

So even if someone were to reboot the character- setting aside the obvious rights issues for a moment- which direction would they go in? Do they continue the tradition of Indy as pulpy, family-oriented fare? Try to placate grown men in their twenties and thirties that need their childhood heroes to be taken very seriously? Completely change the tone of the series by giving it a modern update? Risk being considered just another rip-off, by attempting to recycle the formula established in ROTLA? After all, other filmmakers have already been making Dirty Harry and Indiana Jones films for decades. They've simply used different names for their main characters.

Not to mention, the (essentially) same creative team behind the camera as well. So yes, it's extremely unique.

Very interesting. Yes, Dirty Harry is a good answer to my question of whether there is any other fictional character who is so tied to an actor.

A very excellent analysis of this question James.

The more I read other opinions here, the more I realize that until Ford is .......no longer acting, there will probably NOT be another actor portraying Indiana Jones on the big screen.

This disappoints me, but .......I'll get over it.

I've made my opinion known, so I don't want to beat a dead horse any longer.

Therefore.....what of Indy V (vee?)?

Indy IV (hmm........appropriate maybe?.........nevermind) was set in the 50's. This was a HUGE leap, because we totally skipped the 40's. We had three movies set in the 30's, and then skipped to the 50's. There were all sorts of concerns that since it was in the 50's there couldn't be Nazis anymore, etc. ......so who would be the "bad guys"??....etc.

They turned out a pretty good movie. I've watched it twice and might watch it a third time. (yawn)

But what of Indy V? What decade will it be set in? If we are married to Ford as the actor then it can't be anything earlier than the 50's. But the 50's has already been done. Is there any aspect of the 50's that was left out of KOTCS? Anything that would allow for another 50's Indy movie? I don't think so.

OK, so that leaves......the 60's ......or .........70's?

So what are the possible plot lines for this movie?

I'm struggling to come up with anything.

OK, so the Cold War is still very hot in the 60's. The Soviets are the enemy...........but isn't James Bond already taking care of us in this context? In fact wouldn't Indiana Jones be stepping on James Bond's toes here?

So what else can Jones do in the 60's?

He can scuba dive with Jaques Cousteau I guess. Maybe they can discover an old wreck.......but would it matter?

So let's put Jones into the 70's. ........................?? Any ideas for plot lines?

I don't know. I just don't see another Indiana Jones movie being made with Harrison Ford. And thus there will probably not be another Indiana Jones movie made for at the very least another decade, and probably (as has been the norm) two decades.

Hanselation

Indy 5 isn't on it's way...

I agree. So I've found the only way to get along with this situation is to do little Indiana Jones films for yourself - like I did. ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D9W_3TZOo2Q&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D9W_3TZOo2Q&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mickiana

Keep the sequels coming Hanselation. I'm not sure what was happening in that first part so I'm left hanging in suspense...

monkey

Hanselation said:
I agree. So I've found the only way to get along with this situation is to do little Indiana Jones films for yourself - like I did. ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D9W_3TZOo2Q&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D9W_3TZOo2Q&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hanselation,

Great job!

Your clip intrigued me.........especially the scenes of Antarctica with the bi-plane. Clever........and really captured the imagination!! Made me wonder what the story line was.

I kind of lost the trail there though when you went to Northern Germany.

Great sound track! But what is this story about???

Texas

I wonder if George Lucas' involvement with "Red Tails" is delaying the development of Indy 5?

Anyways, its frustrating that we're still not getting any Indy 5 news at all. The summer is fast approaching and if we don't hear any significant announcements by the end of this summer, I'm betting this film never gets made.

Maybe we the fans need to put a little pressure on Spielberg, Lucas. We need to let them know that there is a desire amongst the public to see at least one more Indiana Jones film. Maybe this pressure is the spark that can get a fifth film to the table.

The only Indy filmmaker that can be contacted easily is producer Frank Marshall through his twitter. He used to give Indy 5 updates through his twitter account but hasn't for awhile. Here's his account: http://twitter.com/LeDoctor

Ajax the Great

Texas said:
I wonder if George Lucas' involvement with "Red Tails" is delaying the development of Indy 5?

Maybe we the fans need to put a little pressure on Spielberg, Lucas. We need to let them know that there is a desire amongst the public to see at least one more Indiana Jones film. Maybe this pressure is the spark that can get a fifth film to the table.

Not sure how you would go about this, but I think that the pressure would have to be directed more at Spielberg. I'm sure we don't want Lucas to take the reins on IJV, and he's not receptive to fans anyway.

lao che & sons

Ajax the Great said:
Not sure how you would go about this, but I think that the pressure would have to be directed more at Spielberg. I'm sure we don't want Lucas to take the reins on IJV, and he's not receptive to fans anyway.

quite frankly, niether really are receptive to fans. But If I had to go with one person to schoose from I'd have to say lucas. He's the first piece of the puzzle and a huge one at that. Even if spielberg, ford, and whoever want it to happen he has to have the ideas;) so Lucas is the only one who can really make Indy 5 happen:whip:

Ajax the Great

lao che & sons said:
quite frankly, niether really are receptive to fans. But If I had to go with one person to schoose from I'd have to say lucas. He's the first piece of the puzzle and a huge one at that. Even if spielberg, ford, and whoever want it to happen he has to have the ideas;) so Lucas is the only one who can really make Indy 5 happen:whip:

I think that Spielberg is at least relatively more open to fans. After all, through Indy 4, he always said "it's for you guys, it's for you guys." Lucas has been known to claim complete creative ownership over his stories.

If there was an Indy 5, they wouldn't have to run on nostalgia so much to get people back into the rhythm. That could work to its advantage.

Texas

I think there should be plenty of motivation for Spielberg and Lucas to get one more film made. Surely they don't want to end one of the most successful film franchises in history with a film (Indy 4) that has divided the fans.
Lets hope they come up with a great idea that will end the franchise with a bang and a film that will unite and not divide the fans.

Darth Vile

Texas said:
I think there should be plenty of motivation for Spielberg and Lucas to get one more film made. Surely they don't want to end one of the most successful film franchises in history with a film (Indy 4) that has divided the fans.
Lets hope they come up with a great idea that will end the franchise with a bang and a film that will unite and not divide the fans.

As mentioned before, KOTCS is a perfect high for Spielberg/Lucas to end Indy on. I'm pretty sure nothing would convince them that it wasn't a resounding critical and box office success (relative of course). If another Indy movie gets made, I'm sure it won't be because they want to make up for KOTCS (even if many of us here perhaps think they should).

Ajax the Great

Darth Vile said:
As mentioned before, KOTCS is a perfect high for Spielberg/Lucas to end Indy on. I'm pretty sure nothing would convince them that it wasn't a resounding critical and box office success (relative of course). If another Indy movie gets made, I'm sure it won't be because they want to make up for KOTCS (even if many of us here perhaps think they should).

I agree with that. I'm sure the three of them are thrilled with Indy 4. Any motivations won't be driven by an attempt at apology, it'll be because they feel compelled by a story and because an Indy 5 would make a lot of money.

Indy's brother

Texas said:

That's a very idealistic view Texas, and I would love it if you were right! I honestly think that SW and IJ are Lucas' personal playground and we are simply subject to his whims at this point. If these guys were as emotionally invested in these films as we are, we wouldn't even have to hope for such things. That they haven't just gotten over themselves enough to keep us fans in the loop about 5 & 6 speaks volumes about who they are making these films for and why. It breaks my heart to say it, but it's the truth. We are on the short end of a symbiotic relationship.

Ajax the Great

Indy's brother said:
That's a very idealistic view Texas, and I would love it if you were right! I honestly think that SW and IJ are Lucas' personal playground and we are simply subject to his whims at this point. If these guys were as emotionally invested in these films as we are, we wouldn't even have to hope for such things. That they haven't just gotten over themselves enough to keep us fans in the loop about 5 & 6 speaks volumes about who they are making these films for and why. It breaks my heart to say it, but it's the truth. We are on the short end of a symbiotic relationship.

Plus, Spielberg has changed - a lot, since the OT. He's less of a populist filmmaker than he used to be.

monkey

Texas said:

Why, oh why, ...oh why...........is the focus always on ENDING Indiana Jones?

No offense Texas, but I just don't get it. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are saying.

But WHY must the focus always be on ENDING Indiana Jones?

Not to pick on you, but so many many Indiana Jones fans just seem to be so focused on terminating that which they (supposedly) love so much.

Every time I hear about ENDING the franchise, or WRAPPING it up, or putting some kind of FINALITY on it...........I just have to shake my head.

Why not keep it going?

Indiana Jones is a concept. He is an Ideal. He is forever an outlet for the imagination to wander into and get lost in fantastic adventures.

Why do so many fans seem to want to bury him?

Again, I just don't get it.