General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

indyjones2131

Yeah I posted something similar to this several pages back. I feel like this is the only way to really bring back Mutt, but not take the focus off of Indy doing his thing alone. I'm not even saying Mutt has to be all bad, but just in with the wrong crowd as Indy could have so easily done at that age. Now Indy has to race against his own son and the Russians (or some other villains) to obtain some item.

Maybe in the end Mutt gets back to his senses or whatever, but if they are planning two more as was rumored, then maybe this is the dark Act 2...

Who knows.

The way I see it is that this year we get a romantic comedy with Ford in Morning Glory.

Next year he is a cowboy fighting aliens in a western.

The year after he dons the fedora again for Indy 5 and it better be more gritty and more Indy that the whole Adventure Gang B.S. AND LESS CG!

Mickiana

If it had been already, you wouldn't need to be asking that question. We're just all hanging out for the word from Lucasfilm via Steve, Harry or Shia.

RedeemedChild

Indie House said:
That's old news bud... good to have all eyes out there though. :hat:

LOL, thanks.

I'm so excited about another Indiana Jones movie that I don't know what to do. If I were the script scribe I'd send Indiana Jones and Mutt on a wuest for either of the following three MacGuffins: On a quest to recover the legendary sword of King Arthur: Excalibur or The Shroud of Turin or last but not lest is to have Indiana Jones, Marion and Mutt embark on a quest to Majlis al-Jinn (Meeting place of the jinn) to acquire the Forgotten Lamp which is home to a powerful and gracious Djinn (Genie) who will bestow her aid to one of noble, heroic deeds and moral character in a fight against evil. However as this film will be set after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Russians, I don't exactly know which evil the story could back dropped against.

Below is an image of Majlis Al-Jinn.

450px-Descending_into_cave.jpg

Stoo

RedeemedChild said:
If I were the script scribe I'd send Indiana Jones and Mutt on a wuest for either of the following three MacGuffins: On a quest to recover the legendary sword of King Arthur: Excalibur or The Shroud of Turin or...
The location of the Shroud of Turin is not a mystery (nor was it during Indy's lifetime). It's been sitting in the Cathedral of Turin for HUNDREDS of years.:rolleyes:
RedeemedChild said:
However as this film will be set after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and Russians, I don't exactly know which evil the story could back dropped against.
Did Russians disappear after 1957?:confused:

RedeemedChild

Stoo said:
The location of the Shroud of Turin is not a mystery (nor was it during Indy's lifetime). It's been sitting in the Cathedral of Turin for HUNDREDS of years.:rolleyes:

I know that Stoo. However Steven Spielberg and George Lucas are great and skillful story craftsmen. I'm sure that they can conjure something wonderful. Furthermore they could even borrow a page from Dan Brown. There are all sorts of possibilities my friend. Do you remember how The Da Vinci Code opened? With something quite important being stolen? Well that is exactly what could happen to the Shroud of Turin.

The Shroud of Turin has a rich history. For example; the Shroud could be stolen by a offspring of the Knight's Templar or by a vile, rogue assassin (borrowing a page from from Assasin's Creed) and Indiana Jones and Mutt are succored by the Chruch of Rome to recover it. There are endless possibilities.

Stoo said:
Did Russians disappear after 1957?

And as for the Russians and a mysterious disappearance in 1957, that was not at all my thinking. I was simply explaining that I'd not yet come up with a good idea regarding that yet. Actually I was thinking that maybe we could introduce a new kind of villain. Something like Communist Agents from China or Terrorism, sort of a mirror, mirror on the wall if you will, a bit like SyFy's BSG if you catch my drift.

Stoo

GL & SS don't need to "take a page from Dan Brown". They've already done the stolen artifact thing in "Temple of Doom". The Shroud of Turin could be used in an opening mini-adventure but it holds no mystical qualities which makes it pretty lame for the main item. It's nothing more than a dubious piece of cloth.

Re: "a bit like SyFy's BSG if you catch my drift." No, I don't catch it. I have no idea what BSG is. As for enemies from China, that idea has been tossed around here many, many times.

If you want a genie idea, you might as well have Indy flying on a magic carpet. Better yet, bring back the abandoned story from the unproduced Stockholm episode from the "Chronicles". Have Indy shrink to a couple of inches high and fly around on the back of a goose like Nils Holgersson.:p

Hanselation

http://indianajones.com update

Hu! - I saw a sign at the official Indiana Jones page http://indianajones.com
After a year without any changes, they've updated the page.

An original Indiana Jones Fedora is auctioned. (Screen used, signed by Harrison)

But is that a good or a bad sign for Indiana Jones 5?
On the one hand, the page is still alive :) - on the other hand, they sell off Indy's basics :-O

The Auction: http://www.charitybuzz.com/catalog_items/11362

RedeemedChild

Stoo said:
GL & SS don't need to "take a page from Dan Brown". They've already done the stolen artifact thing in "Temple of Doom". The Shroud of Turin could be used in an opening mini-adventure but it holds no mystical qualities which makes it pretty lame for the main item. It's nothing more than a dubious piece of cloth.

LOL. George Lucas himself said that if an idea works he'll use those ideas again if he has to or reinvent them at lest. In fact Lucas and Dave Filoni admitted that the Star Wars Saga basically repeats itself because they take what they've done in one movie and reinvent it again. For example, the battle between Luke Skywalker and the Rankor is how Lucas came up with the battle between Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme Amidala in the Arena on Geonosis.

The stolen scenario can be used again in Indiana Jones five if the plot is written skillfully. Basically the Russians "stole" the Crystal Skull from Area 51.

Furthermore saying that the Shroud of Turin holds no mystical qualities is not quite a fair equation.

The Shroud of Turin could indeed have mystical effects on villains. Lets say that a Communist retrieves it from the Templar descendant who stole it from the Vatican and attempts to rip it in two, upon beginning to tear it the Shroud begins to hum and vibrate emitting a bight light and suddenly there is an explosion of light in the whole room. The Communist is thrown across the room and the Shroud lies unharmed by his irreverent attempt to split it in two. Imagination is all that we need to create an alluring tale here.

Stoo said:
Re: "a bit like SyFy's BSG if you catch my drift." No, I don't catch it. I have no idea what BSG is.

BSG is the reimagined Battlestar Galactica program that ran while SyFy was called SciFi Channel and it now has a currently airing prequel called Caprica. BSG was honored by the United Nations for being a "mirror, mirror on the wall" type of program exploring torture, the human condition, gorilla warefare and man's relationship with AI lifeforms, human rights, religion and faith among other things.

Stoo said:
If you want a genie idea, you might as well have Indy flying on a magic carpet. Better yet, bring back the abandoned story from the unproduced Stockholm episode from the "Chronicles". Have Indy shrink to a couple of inches high and fly around on the back of a goose like Nils Holgersson.

Very funny Stoo. But I'm not interested in making jokes as I'm very serious about plot ideas for the fifth Indiana Jones movie. However perhaps some of these ideas might work better in a animated Indiana Jones television program like the idea for the path of time or seeking Thor's Hammer.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
...The Shroud of Turin could be used in an opening mini-adventure but it holds no mystical qualities which makes it pretty lame for the main item. It's nothing more than a dubious piece of cloth...

Tru 'dat. said the white boy thinking he can talk street ebonic. I do like it?s correlation though to Jacques de Molay. But that would be more of a National Treasure?then an Indy adventure.

RedeemedChild

Pale Horse said:
Tru 'dat. said the white boy thinking he can talk street ebonic. I do like it?s correlation though to Jacques de Molay. But that would be more of a National Treasure?then an Indy adventure.

Good point Pale Horse. For it seems as if there is much mystique surrounding Jacques de Molay, The Templar Knights and The Shroud of Turin.

It is said that Jacques de Molay cursed King Philip IV of France and his descendants from his execution pyre. The story of the shouted curse appears to be a combination of words by a different Templar, and those of Jacques de Molay. An eyewitness to the execution stated that Molay showed no sign of fear, and told those present that God would avenge their deaths.[18] Another variation on this story was told by the contemporary chronicler Ferretto of Vicenza, who applied the idea to a Neapolitan Templar brought before Clement V, whom he denounced for his injustice. Some time later, as he was about to be executed, he appealed 'from this your heinous judgement to the living and true God, who is in Heaven', warning the pope that, within a year and a day, he and Philip IV would be obliged to answer for their crimes in God's presence.

It is true that Philip and Clement V both died within a year of Molay's execution, Clement finally succumbing to a long illness on April 20, 1314 and Philip in a hunting accident. Then followed the rapid succession of the last Direct Capetian kings of France between 1314 and 1328, the three sons of Philip IV. Within 14 years from the death of Jacques de Molay, the 300-year-old House of Capet collapsed. This series of events forms the basis of Les Rois Maudits (The Accursed Kings), a series of historical novels written by Maurice Druon between 1955 and 1977, and which was also turned into two French television miniseries in 1972 and 2005.

In Germany, Philip's "death was spoken of as a retribution for his destruction of the Templars, and Clement was described as shedding tears of remorse on his death-bed for three great crimes, the poisoning of Henry VI, and the ruin of the Templars and Beguines."

Furthermore:

The concept of "miraculous image" has been applied to the Shroud of Turin, as it has been applied to other religious artifacts such as the image of the Virgin Mary on the cloak in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe on Tepeyac hill in Mexico.

Quoting Pope Paul VI's statement that the shroud is "the wonderful document of His Passion, Death and Resurrection, written for us in letters of blood" author Antonio Cassanelli argues that the shroud is a deliberate divine record of the five stages of the Passion of Christ.

Stoo

RedeemedChild said:
The stolen scenario can be used again in Indiana Jones five if the plot is written skillfully. Basically the Russians "stole" the Crystal Skull from Area 51.
I'm not saying it *can't* be re-used, I'm saying they don't need to "take a page from Dan Brown" to do it. Indy 3 & 4 rehashed many elements so, by the same token, Russians aren't off the list either. (According to you they can't be used in Indy V.)
RedeemedChild said:
Furthermore saying that the Shroud of Turin holds no mystical qualities is not quite a fair equation.
Oh, brother...:rolleyes: From http://www.shroud.com/nature.htm

"The results of radiocarbon measurements at Arizona, Oxford and Zurich yield a calibrated calendar age range with at least 95% confidence for the linen of the Shroud of Turin of AD 1260 - 1390 (rounded down/up to nearest 10 yr). These results therefore provide conclusive evidence that the linen of the Shroud of Turin is mediæval."
RedeemedChild said:
BSG is the reimagined Battlestar Galactica
If you meant "Battlestar Galactica" then you could have just said so. (Small note, just so you know: it's guerilla warfare. "Gorilla warefare" is Planet of the Apes.;))
RedeemedChild said:
Very funny Stoo. But I'm not interested in making jokes as I'm very serious about plot ideas for the fifth Indiana Jones movie.
If you're serious about having a GENIE in Indy V then there's not much else to say other than: I'm glad you're not writing the next movie! Would your female genie be CG and have pink hair and gigantic, teardrop eyes? A 6-inch Indy on the back of a goose is much more in line with the previous films.

RedeemedChild

Stoo said:
I'm not saying it *can't* be re-used, I'm saying they don't need to "take a page from Dan Brown" to do it. Indy 3 & 4 rehashed many elements so, by the same token, Russians aren't off the list either. (According to you they can't be used in Indy V.)

Stoo said:
Oh, brother...:rolleyes: From http://www.shroud.com/nature.htm
"The results of radiocarbon measurements at Arizona, Oxford and Zurich yield a calibrated calendar age range with at least 95% confidence for the linen of the Shroud of Turin of AD 1260 - 1390 (rounded down/up to nearest 10 yr). These results therefore provide conclusive evidence that the linen of the Shroud of Turin is mediæval."

According to the Archeologist and Forensic scientist on the recent documentary that aired on History Channel this past Easter the radiocarbon measurments that said it was from the Midieval Era were wrong, absolutely wrong and they went on to prove that radiocarbon dating is often inacurate and that it is not at all a reliable source of determining the age of an object.

Stoo said:
If you meant "Battlestar Galactica" then you could have just said so. (Small note, just so you know: it's guerilla warfare. "Gorilla warefare" is Planet of the Apes.;))
Thanks my brother. I hadn't notice my error. Next time I might just hire you as my secretary. :hat:

Stoo said:
If you're serious about having a GENIE in Indy V then there's not much else to say other than: I'm glad you're not writing the next movie! Would your female genie be CG and have pink hair and gigantic, teardrop eyes? A 6-inch Indy on the back of a goose is much more in line with the previous films.

No not like that at all. Not like that ATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ALL.

I understand where you're coming from regarding Indiana Jones on the back of a goose and all but I'm going with more like Indiana Jones not getting shrunken down and all but instead encourting Genies and Djinns like in Arabian Nights with actors portoraying them and not CGI. Unless of course you do a ghostly, smokey CGI Djinn like in Aladdin. That would not be to bad because it'd look like the Force ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Stoo

RedeemedChild said:
Thanks my brother. I hadn't notice my error. Next time I might just hire you as my secretary. :hat:
I would quit.
RedeemedChild said:
I understand where you're coming from regarding Indiana Jones on the back of a goose and all...
You DO?!?:confused: In the abandoned tale, a shrunken Indy is flown around by the goose to show him the beauty of nature and wonders of the animal world in an effort to teach him kindness toward our furry & feathered friends of the forest. Using this idea for the next film would bring the entire Indy storyline full-circle. It would also convey a strong, moral message and a nice way to round off the series.

RedeemedChild

Stoo said:
I would quit.
You DO?!?:confused: In the abandoned tale, a shrunken Indy is flown around by the goose to show him the beauty of nature and wonders of the animal world in an effort to teach him kindness toward our furry & feathered friends of the forest. Using this idea for the next film would bring the entire Indy storyline full-circle. It would also convey a strong, moral message and a nice way to round off the series.

ROFL! Stoo you're gonna make me choke from laughing so much.

Indiana Jones meets Narnia?!?!?!?! :eek: No thank you. If Lucas/Spielberg did such a thing we'd know for sure that they both need to retire and head to an asylum. I mean Lucas is already showing signs of age and stress but to abuse Narnia and Indiana Jones in such a mesh up is out of the question.:gun:

Nevertheless I got a real laugh out of that one Stoo.

Montana Smith

If the radiocarbon dating of the Turin Shroud proves to be wrong, then it's only because it was the aliens who made it, not the Templars. :p

As with most religious relics it'll be a fake of some sort. I can't see Indy getting worked up over a stained teacloth.

RedeemedChild

Montana Smith said:
As with most religious relics it'll be a fake of some sort. I can't see Indy getting worked up over a stained teacloth.

Ugh....Unbeliever. Oh, ye of little faith.

Like the scientist in the documentary "The Real Face of Jesus" conculded: some will never believe in that which they cannot explain because it is more than an act of knowing but rather an act of faith.

Most ture is the fact that in this great age of enlightenment there are those who have little to no faith at all.

Yesterday I saw a news report about a girl who was lost in a deadly, snake infested swamp in a certain part of Florida and the man who found her was moved to tears because he asked God to spare the child's life and he stated that God had led him directly to the lost youth. Even the police credited God with the girl's rescue, one of the officiers went on to state that "I've never believed in miracles until now."

So yes, you may choose to believe that the Shroud of Turin is a fake even in the face of science proving that it is real. However I would like to submit to you, Montana Smith that "The most real things are the things which we cannot see, the things which defy reason and logic and those which are beyond our grasp."

I think Spock put it best in the last JJ. Abrams Star Trek XI. "In this matter put aside logic and do what feels right."