Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Montana Smith

Dr. Gonzo said:
Jesse Plemons (Todd from Breaking Bad) is apparently in negotiations for one of the lead roles.

Looks like Uncle Jacks boy is on his way up!

http://www.slashfilm.com/jesse-plemons-eyed-for-leading-role-in-star-wars-episode-vii/#more-210698

* Goes away to Google Jesse Plemons *

He's older than he looks. I'd have put him down for Jacen or Anakin Jr.

Though reconsidering Harrison's age, he could be one of the little Solos.

Lance Quazar said:
That's interesting. He's a good actor. and he definitely looks like he could be Mark Hamill's son.

Makes more sense. I forgot Luke gave up celibacy. Jesse looks more like a mini-Hamill.

Rumor has it the film will center on three young leads, two boys and a girl

Well that sounds like Jacen, Anakin and Jaina, what with Harrison returning as Han.

Dr. Gonzo

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rumors-who-is-669997

The reason Michael Ardnt left the project was a difference of opinion on the roles of Han, Luke and Leia in episode 7... Ardnt and George apparently wanted the trio to take a back seat in supporting roles, where as Abrams, Kennedy and Kasdan have since decided to give our classic trio one more glorious day in the sun before switching focus to the offspring in episodes 8 and 9...

Thus these new rewrites are more Han Leia and Luke centered.

Interesting.

How do you guys feel about that?

also there is a rumor that Obi-wan Kenobi is said to have had a black female offspring...

teampunk

Pale Horse said:
It's life Jim, but not as we know it: R2-D2 will be designed by fans.

see what I did there
that's not the whole story. a bunch of science geeks started a club that builds robots based off of the star wars universe. the higher ups at lucas film found out about it, and hired to two main guys to work on the new movies. which is pretty cool.

Montana Smith

Dr. Gonzo said:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rumors-who-is-669997

The reason Michael Ardnt left the project was a difference of opinion on the roles of Han, Luke and Leia in episode 7... Ardnt and George apparently wanted the trio to take a back seat in supporting roles, where as Abrams, Kennedy and Kasdan have since decided to give our classic trio one more glorious day in the sun before switching focus to the offspring in episodes 8 and 9...

Thus these new rewrites are more Han Leia and Luke centered.

Interesting.

How do you guys feel about that?

also there is a rumor that Obi-wan Kenobi is said to have had a black female offspring...

I suspect George's version would focus on the trio of young Solos with mommy and daddy hanging back in the shadows. Thereby promoting youth over age: the Mutt effect.

The alternative would be a bold move to have the three older heroes take centre stage in a series that is so invested in selling merchandise to children (though I've been committing myself to a bit of it recently).

I have little trust in Lucas handling Star Wars any more. He seemed to lose the plot in 1999 when he took his universe away from my imagination. I'd rather someone else take control who still gets what Lucas created, and what was being created in the non-film novels soon afterwards.

Characters can get away with being mature in a world of blasters and fast ships, if they're not expected to do the kind of things that made Indiana Jones famous.

No more Jar Jar to keep the toddlers awake. But you just know this thing has to grab the imagination of children, or else the aisles will be full of peg warmers.

One last glorious outing for the mature trio, and by the time 8 and 9 come out the young Solos themselves will be a little older.

Le Saboteur

Moedred said:
Don't expect a lot of metal bikinis in line. :(

Good ol' Peter Mayhew has you covered. Or uncovered as the case may be.

BdbF9JOCQAABWKb.jpg

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:

Supports the life choice where George is at currently. Does that make him Ben in his own eyes?

Dr. Gonzo said:

African American or mixed race...

Maybe this explains why Obi is so knowledgeable about Sand People...he REALLY knows Sand People!:p

Lance Quazar

featofstrength said:
African American or mixed race...

Maybe this explains why Obi is so knowledgeable about Sand People...he REALLY knows Sand People!:p

No idea what this is supposed to mean, but it sounds really and weirdly racist.

Are the sand people black?

News to me.

Montana Smith said:
It was.

'Sand' is usually followed by the 'n' word to denote a people living in such an environment.

Or it could just mean that they are the most logical choice for an Obi-wan mixed relationship IF THEY HAVE TO GO THAT ROUTE AT ALL...exile on Tatooine with Sand People being the most predominant humanoid species on the planet, also within the closest proximity to his neighborhood. Plus, might be an opportunity to show that the Tuskens arent all savage n scavenge in the film series (since Tusken Jedi in expanded universe subject to canon erasure) and make an attempt to heal wounds within the Skywalker legacy

Race:
1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.
3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
4. Humans considered as a group.

I didnt name them Sand People, and im a big enough fan of SW media to have seen one or two without their masks...http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sharad_Hett
hey, maybe that is the link to bridging an element from the expanded universe into the new films? Naw...they're gonna flush it all....

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
This actress (if she survives the frenetic rewrites) could also be mo-capped like in Avatar or covered in prosthetics like in Star Trek. Maybe Obi Wan rescued a dancer from Jabba's palace and didn't know they had a daughter who's... half digital?

Apologies to fans (like me) who watched Star Wars with innocent eyes, but as we learned in Phantom Menace, the galaxy was already full of racial stereotypes. Hopefully they'll be sidelined so we won't see Obi Wan try to date Watto's high maintenance daughter, a real Toydarian Tattooine Princess. (Banana Islands, here I come...)

Seriously though, it doesn't sound to me like all systems are go to film in April. I hope the project gets kicked forward another 6 months like Star Trek Into Darkness.

Montana Smith

Moedred said:
Apologies to fans (like me) who watched Star Wars with innocent eyes, but as we learned in Phantom Menace, the galaxy was already full of racial stereotypes.

Even in those days of innocence there was the stereotype that members of the evil empire spoke with English accents; and English actors playing Rebels spoke in American accents.

I take it as a matter of pride. And we would have gotten away with it, too, if it hadn't been for those meddling Rebels!

Montana Smith

Grizzlor said:
Uh, Sir Alec was a "rebel" while James Earl Jones was Vader.

Alec Guinness was an exception. Never thought James Earl Jones sounded particularly American as Vader.

Accents became a policy for Empire Strikes Back, as noted on one of the Blu-ray commentaries.

As explained by a note on IMDB:

Director Irvin Kershner decided that for this movie, members of the Rebel Alliance would speak with American accents, while the Imperial Officers would speak with British accents, to make the story analogous to the American Revolution. However, most of the supporting actors that appeared as Rebel personnel on Hoth were in-fact British actors. Consequently, Kershner had to re-dub several of the scenes taking place at the Hoth rebel base with American voices in post production.

There is an another explanation, with exceptions on Wookieepedia:

Dialects in English correspond to different in-universe accents in the movies. Ewan McGregor's and Ian McDiarmid's faint upper-class Scottish accents are, for example, Coruscanti accents in the movies. As a general rule, Imperial characters speak with RP-like British accents while Rebels usually have American accents. However, it would seem that this is perhaps a representation of social class, as stormtroopers and other low-ranking Imperials are heard to speak with American accents, while some Rebels speak with British accents (Mon Mothma, for instance).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Basic_Standard

If class is a factor in accent, then Leia is an exception as well.

Montana Smith

In other news from MarketSaw today:

Today's Big Movie Rumors: 'Star Wars: Episode VII' Bombshells...

By Mike Bracken Feb 25, 2014

Website MarketSaw has an inside source who’s apparently very close to the production of Star Wars: Episode VII – or at least presents himself that way – and he’s been filling the site’s ear with all sorts of interesting tidbits about the upcoming installment.

The source is spilling the beans on multiple topics, including casting, the state of the production, and even offers up a story hint.

On the casting front, the source tells MarketSaw that it appears as though both Gary Oldman and Benedict Cumberbatch will join the project, although initially both were seemingly in the running for the same part. The shadowy informant isn’t sure what will change to accommodate both actors, but with the script in a state of flux, changes can easily be made.

Speaking of the script and the state of the production as a whole, here’s what the source had to say:

“Many Star Wars preproduction issues, an 'inadequate' central story which nobody would stamp off on, a problematic initial release date and an 'indecisive' director (J.J. Abrams) with the hardest gig in the industry. It's not going to be a cakewalk, but it will be a product shipping with the majority of its original parts."

This is where things get interesting – and maybe a little bit concerning for fans. No one wants to hear about an “inadequate central story” this late in the game, and an “indecisive director” sounds even more troubling. In Abrams’ defense, this really is the hardest gig in Hollywood right now. We don’t envy him in the least, because no matter how good Episode VII is, there will be a contingent that complains about everything it did wrong.

The real kicker is the whole bit about “shipping with the majority of its original parts.” If you listen closely, you can hear a planet full of nerds howling in pain at the thought of Abrams tinkering with the series mythology in much the same way he did with Star Trek. Casual fans will be fine with this, we’d guess – but the hard-core contingent is probably sweating bullets. After the whole Midichlorians debacle, who can blame them?

What might those changes be? No one knows for sure, but here’s the latest story update on what appears to be a constantly mutating narrative:

“Ultimately it's about twins, and which will take a path towards darkness and which will follow in their father's footsteps, or at least that is what it used to be, that may come later as I think changes are being undertaken to bring the original cast into the forefront of the story leading to ramifications that lead up to the next generation of Skywalkers."

So, it looks like the original cast is getting a larger role in this than was originally conceived.

As always, these are purely rumors – and the ever-changing nature of this in-development project means we wouldn’t get too worked up about any of this stuff because it could all be different tomorrow (or now), but if you’re curious about the state of Star Wars, this is allegedly what’s happening.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ru...ana-jones-dredd/15026?wssac=164&wssaffid=news