Why the tie?

Raiders90

metalinvader said:
Yeah,It's kind of hard to see under that heavy sweater and the scarf.I really like Ford's appearance in 'Mystery of the Blues'.I thought his whole get up,Beard and all fit the look of a 51 year old Indy really well....Dreaded tie and all!:p

I agree, and it also fits in with the era (early '50s). Men still wore fedoras and they did wear heavy sweaters and scarves like that. I wish men wore fedoras today.

Way of the dodo

I thought Indy had the tie because he was on a long car trip through populated Europe, and was still sort of "plainclothes" for that. The tie suited the "scottish" disquise, so he kept it on. He takes it off when he gets a break, after the plane chase.

Michael24

I can honestly say I had never given the tie any thought at all until within the last year when I found out some fan apparents apparently blew a gasket over it. And I still haven't given it much thought. It's there, and I can't say it's ever bothered me. :)

Dr. Gonzo

I always figured he was just trying to impress daddy.

If you think about it Last Crusade is really the most "plain clothesed" of all of them. He doesnt seem like Indiana Jones to me when he's wearing that suit in Venice. A little but... I think the get-up makes Indiana Jones. An a lot of that movie seems like harrison ford is harrison ford... with a small amount of traditional Indy garb and all.

Kingsley

A sweaty and dirty tie tells a lot. In my opinion, it's a great contribution to the character in that adventure, and it goes against those who say LC is a ripoff of Raiders.

Gear

*Looks back on the content of this thread*

Ah, young Gear. What you will learn about spelling and punctuation...

This all ties into context, of course.

michael

I as well love the tie. Makes me wish Indy had some sort of 'variant' to his attire in Crystal Skull.

Raiders90

Attila the Professor said:
What have you come up with?

The tie just looks odd in comparison with the rest of his attire. It kind of makes him look silly, to be honest. He has this rough leather jacket and whip look...with a buttoned up shirt and tie. It just seems a little ridiculous; It doesn't really work. Also I notice that in LC his whip is on the left side, but that's not a big change or anything.

Saber79

Isn't the whip always on the left side??....I know in the Cairo streets he reaches (cross-draws) it with his right hand...holster/gun on the right with the bag and whip on the left....

and I never had a problem with the tie, just thought since he hasn't seen his father in years, that he would try to impress him, given the fact the Daddy is a very straight-laced guy..

Dr Bones

Henry Senior is British and quite prim. It was in once (not that long ago) considered inappropriate, scruffy, lacking class or even disrespectful to go without a tie and wear an open necked shirt, wihtout good reason.

I always considred Indy's tie as a mark of respect for his father's old fashioned values and done for comic effect to illustrate that even the most hardened adventure can be humbled of in that mix of fear/respect/childlike awe a grown man can still have for his father.

Indy's embarrassed/hurt looks as Henry scowls disapprovingly at Indy's hubris after he dispacthes the german motorcyclists giving chase, then the slap for blasphemy. It seems he just wants his father's respect and approval in a few scenes and the tie represents part of this IMO.

Last edited:

Dig Site 1138

The tie was an everyday basic.

In the 1930's, guys wore a tie to dig a ditch. Last Crusade is the first time we see Indy wearing his "work clothes" in Europe. He would have looked out of place without a tie, just as he would have looked out of place without some sort of hat.

Walking around in the tropics with your collar undone is all well and good but, frankly, Indy would seem grossly underdressed in 1930's Europe that way.

Our soldiers were all issued neckties as part of their uniform during WWII. Patton even insisted that all of his men wear theirs in combat (they were all supposed to, technically).