General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Kernunnos

Forget toy sales and children. I think the 'niche' who would be interested in watching the older Indiana Jones would still make the movie do very well indeed at the box office.

A sideline relying on the Indiana Jones name? I hope not. I still think there's plenty of ways for the character to go, and a million possibilities of things for him to do. Any decent writer should be thrilled to have those possibilities handed to them.

Besides, when Harrison has got that hat and costume on, he's just Indy. You don't see his age. At least I didn't when I saw KOTCS. The only times I thought he looked noticeably old was when he was in his college suit, and at the end when he got married. Even then, I think Harrison is one of those actors who can get away with it. Like Clint Eastwood, Arnie, Chuck Norris, Bruce Willis, etc.

Indy's brother

"I will not make another Indiana Jones film unless it's based on George's story."

Yet another empty meaningless quote about Indy 5. Does it say there will be an Indy 5? No. Does it say that it is being worked on? No. That it's even being discussed outside this interview? No. Without context, this is another completely useless quip.

Last edited:

Henry Jones VII

Indy's brother said:
"I will not make another Indiana Jones film unless it's based on George's story."

Yet another empty meaningless quote about Indy 5. Does it say there will be an Indy 5? No. Does it say that it is being worked on? No. That it's even being discussed outside this interview? No. Without context, this is another completely useless quip.

right you are. (y)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dagnabit, where's that article I misplaced about how Kathleen and Steve view TinTin as the new Indy...and even called it out as such? Seems to me that if you approach this topic with that in mind, the Hollywood doublespeak is right on track.

No Indy...Yes TinTin.

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
Dagnabit, where's that article I misplaced about how Kathleen and Steve view TinTin as the new Indy...and even called it out as such? Seems to me that if you approach this topic with that in mind, the Hollywood doublespeak is right on track.

No Indy...Yes TinTin.

Indy's brother found a quote:

Kathleen Kennedy [translated]: "I think we're done with the adventures of Indiana forever. I know there has been talk of locations up and even writing a script for a new Indiana. But there is nothing of that. We are busy with other projects. Also, I have the feeling that Indiana has passed, now is the time of Tintin. Tintin will be the new Indiana."

The link to the original is now dead.

Olliana

Montana Smith said:
Every Indy movie, especially after ROTLA, has been made with children in mind. Whether or not it captures the imagination of children is another matter.

So not true. Remember that movie that came out after ROTLA? I think it was called Temple of Doom or something. It was all dark and gritty, I guess. Also slave children. Was the first movie ever to receive a PG-13 rating. Hearts got ripped and baddies got eaten.

Montana Smith

Olliana said:
So not true. Remember that movie that came out after ROTLA? I think it was called Temple of Doom or something. It was all dark and gritty, I guess. Also slave children. Was the first movie ever to receive a PG-13 rating. Hearts got ripped and baddies got eaten.

You haven't been paying attention.

TOD was a movie made with children in mind. Remember that little martial arts kid? The gross dinner? The cartoon comedy?

Lucas and Spielberg were reliving their own childhood fantasies for the children of the '80s. They aimed for a family audience, so there are elements adults will catch that children might not.

Both Lucas and Spielberg freely admitted that TOD ended up darker than they had intended. The graphic nature of the violence was something that was merely becoming more prevalent in child-oriented movies.

Do you really consider TOD to be an 'adult' movie?

Remember Gremlins, also from 1984? It was submitted for a PG rating, but gave the classification board a headache.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/case-studies/gremlins

Olliana

Montana Smith said:
Lucas and Spielberg were reliving their own childhood fantasies for the children of the '80s.

As they were while filming ROTLA.

Montana Smith said:
Both Lucas and Spielberg freely admitted that TOD ended up darker than they had intended. The graphic nature of the violence was something that was merely becoming more prevalent in child-oriented movies.
Do you really consider TOD to be an 'adult' movie?

No, but a family movie, just like ROTLA. We have voodoo, torture, heart ripping, burning people alive... things that aren't exactly adressed to kids.

DOOM is not more of a kids movie than ROTLA is and ROTLA is not more of an adult movie than DOOM is. Both have their gruesome scenes, and both have their comical moments. The latter were just more common in DOOM, I give you that, but only because, as you said, otherwise the movie would have been too dark, way darker than ROTLA in fact.
But to insist ROTLA was only for adults, is just silly. The frying pan, the mirror flip over... the exploding/melting heads can be viewed as both amusing and cruel.

Montana Smith

Olliana said:
As they were while filming ROTLA.

No, but a family movie, just like ROTLA. We have voodoo, torture, heart ripping, burning people alive... things that aren't exactly adressed to kids.

DOOM is not more of a kids movie than ROTLA is and ROTLA is not more of an adult movie than DOOM is. Both have their gruesome scenes, and both have their comical moments. The latter were just more common in DOOM, I give you that, but only because, as you said, otherwise the movie would have been too dark, way darker than ROTLA in fact.
But to insist ROTLA was only for adults, is just silly. The frying pan, the mirror flip over... the exploding/melting heads can be viewed as both amusing and cruel.

I never said that ROTLA was an adult movie. (Though ROTLA did originally receive an R rating before flames helped conceal Belloq's exploding head).

They were all created with children in mind. Hence ROTLA spawned that line of Kenner action figures.

An Indy movie that didn't take into account a young audience would be a niche movie. Therefore an old Indy in a fifth movie will be assisted by a younger protagonist, who can take over some of the action scenes from a 60-something character played by a 70-something actor.

So expect another version of Mutt and more fwuffy animals.

Exactly. The new Die Hard sees Bruce Willis teamed up again with his son, only this time, they share equal billing.

Bruce Willis is 57. Harrison Ford is 70.

You work the rest of it out.

Raiders90

Didn't Lucas and Spielberg take the 'kid factor' into heavy consideration as early as the '78 Conference? Spielberg wanted Indy to be an alcoholic only to have Lucas shoot him down. Lucas wanted Indy to be a playboy only to have Spielberg shoot him down. Both on the grounds that the character was supposed to be a 'role model to children'.

Raiders112390 said:
Didn't Lucas and Spielberg take the 'kid factor' into heavy consideration as early as the '78 Conference? Spielberg wanted Indy to be an alcoholic only to have Lucas shoot him down. Lucas wanted Indy to be a playboy only to have Spielberg shoot him down. Both on the grounds that the character was supposed to be a 'role model to children'.

Lucas mentions it in passing, and that probably explains why they do the soft shoe around some of the other adult issues.

Its pretty plain they abandon the idea from the final product...Raiders that is.

foreignerfred

http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/Rumor_Spinoff_SW_Films_To_Star_Han_Solo_Boba_Fett_150134.asp

If they can recast Han, they can recast Indy. I understand the differences. We're all friends here. _ It can be done.

If they can successfully recast Han, finding someone who can embody THAT...they might be able to carry that over to Indy as well, effectively rebooting...HARRISON FORD.

You will also note, none of this REBOOTS Han or anything about the Star Wars saga. It's just young tales of Star Wars' Han Solo. A younger recast for Indy does not necessarily mean REBOOT.

Just new.

kongisking

Indy's brother said:
George Lucas discussing Indy is the verbal equivalent of King Kong toying with the broken mandible of his defeated foe.

I like this analogy. :hat:

OF COURSE I like it...I'm called freakin' kongisking, for crying out loud!

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
George Lucas discussing Indy is the verbal equivalent of King Kong toying with the broken mandible of his defeated foe.

Of Rabbits and Indy.

When Lucas strokes the things he loves too hard he inadvertently kills them.

I+will+call+him+George%2521.jpg

Lennie: I remember about the rabbits, George.

George: The hell with the rabbits. That’s all you can ever remember is them rabbits.

SPALKO: We sent a submarine under the surface with a mother rabbit’s new litter on board. She remained on shore while one by one, the young rabbits were exterminated.

MAC: Lady, you need a new hobby.

If KOTCS was Of Mice and Men, where will Disney take Indy next?

The Grapes of Wrath, in which our retired hero takes up the hobby of wine making, but everything he makes tastes like vinegar. It's the hilarious story of a mismatched family struggling to get along with each other. The knockout laughs will leave you with permanent injuries.

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

In all serious, are we all pretty much agreed that the Van Helsing/haunted castle approach is basically the only option? It can be made to work with the 60s and it's a fairly decent concession to Ford's age.

Toht's Arm

Udvarnoky said:
In all serious, are we all pretty much agreed that the Van Helsing/haunted castle approach is basically the only option? It can be made to work with the 60s and it's a fairly decent concession to Ford's age.

That or the Hitcockian/innocent man accused suggestion that comes up often. Either of those two would work, I think. Or maybe combine the two?