Popular, but no...

ROTLA

Are there any popular actors whose names may have been mentioned who you would NOT want in an Indy movie? This doesn't just mean you don't want them to be Indy, you don't want them in the movie at all.

My list would have to start with these three:
Kevin Costner, Leonardo Dicaprio, and Keanu Reeves. In fact, if I had to make the most painful movie of all time, those three would be cast members and Celine Dion would sing the soundtrack. A movie like that would have me shoving pencils in my ears and hot pokers in my eyes!!

So, what actors do you absolutely not want to see in an Indy movie? Basically, what actors could possibly ruin the Indy experience for you?

I

Indy_Jones88

Alec Baldwin and Drew Carey

i like them, but their comics and would screw up the movie.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I think this has to be one of the most light-hearted threads in this forum. I'll play:

No Ben Affleck, No Colin Ferrell, No Catherine Zeta-Jones, No William H. Macy, No Natalie Portman, No Drew Barrymore, No Jim Carrey, YES GARY OLDMAN (whoops) , No Halle Berry, No Jennifer Aniston, No Al Pacino, No John Voight.....

Finn

Staff member
No Sir Sean.

Really. If it's going to show an elder Indy past his prime age - we don't really need to associate another oldtimer in; and a mention of his father passing on would be another point towards the fact time really does move on in the Indiana Jones universe.

Luckylighter

Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, Martin Sheen, Edward Norton, Jessica Lange, Rosie O'Donnell, Barbra Streisand, James Brolin, Alec Baldwin, Billy Baldwin, Stephen Baldwin, Michael Moore, George Clooney, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Denzel Washington, Sarah Jessica Parker, Ahmed Best, Cameron Diaz, Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff, Steven Seagal, Jean-Claude Van Damme, The Rock, Will Smith, The "One-Armed Man", Josh Hartnett, Melanie Griffith, Brad Pitt, Joe Pesci, Christian Slater, Tom Cruise, Warren Beatty, Ned Beatty, Shirley MacClaine, Freddie Prinze Jr., Sarah Michelle Gellar, Matthew Lillard, Justin Timberlake, Lance Bass, Jessica Simpson, Nick Lachey, Don Johnson, Phillip Michael Thomas, Edward James Olmos, Meryl Streep, Regis Philbin, Kathy Lee Gifford, Woody Allen, Tea Leoni, OJ Simspon, Kato Kaelin, Al Cowlings, Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Avril Lavigne, Hillary Duff, Madonna, Jake Gyllenhall, Maggie Gyllenhall, Julia Roberts, Julia Stiles, Pierce Brosnan, Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwald, Lou Diamond Phillps, Meg Ryan, James Van der Beek, Katie Holmes, Joshua Jackson, the cast of "The OC", the cast of "Will and Grace", the cast of "Friends", Leonardo DiCaprio, Owen Wilson, Woody Harrelson, Mark Wahlberg, Dustin Hoffman, Cuba Gooding Jr., Richard Gere, Kim Catrall, Jamie Foxx, Kim Basinger, the cast of "Saved by the Bell.

(Geez, I hope I didn't miss anybody)

Finn

Staff member
Just put in <i>any</i> top-50 actors list and scratch Harrison Ford off. There you have it.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Luckylighter said:
Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, Martin Sheen, Edward Norton, Jessica Lange, Rosie O'Donnell, Barbra Streisand, James Brolin, Alec Baldwin, Billy Baldwin, Stephen Baldwin, Michael Moore, George Clooney, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Denzel Washington, Sarah Jessica Parker, Ahmed Best, Cameron Diaz, Pamela Anderson, David Hasselhoff, Steven Seagal, Jean-Claude Van Damme, The Rock, Will Smith, The "One-Armed Man", Josh Hartnett, Melanie Griffith, Brad Pitt, Joe Pesci, Christian Slater, Tom Cruise, Warren Beatty, Ned Beatty, Shirley MacClaine, Freddie Prinze Jr., Sarah Michelle Gellar, Matthew Lillard, Justin Timberlake, Lance Bass, Jessica Simpson, Nick Lachey, Don Johnson, Phillip Michael Thomas, Edward James Olmos, Meryl Streep, Regis Philbin, Kathy Lee Gifford, Woody Allen, Tea Leoni, OJ Simspon, Kato Kaelin, Al Cowlings, Kobe Bryant, Shaq, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Avril Lavigne, Hillary Duff, Madonna, Jake Gyllenhall, Maggie Gyllenhall, Julia Roberts, Julia Stiles, Pierce Brosnan, Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwald, Lou Diamond Phillps, Meg Ryan, James Van der Beek, Katie Holmes, Joshua Jackson, the cast of "The OC", the cast of "Will and Grace", the cast of "Friends", Leonardo DiCaprio, Owen Wilson, Woody Harrelson, Mark Wahlberg, Dustin Hoffman, Cuba Gooding Jr., Richard Gere, Kim Catrall, Jamie Foxx, Kim Basinger, the cast of "Saved by the Bell.

(Geez, I hope I didn't miss anybody)

Pretty liberal list if you ask me, Lucky. ;)

Luckylighter

Pale Horse said:
Pretty liberal list if you ask me, Lucky. ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore, Lucy Liu, the cast of "The West Wing", Moby, Eminem, Courtney Love, The Dixie Chicks, Mike Farrell, Alan Alda, Janeane Garafalo, Sean Penn, Colin Farrell, Jane Fonda, Kevin Spacey, Robert Altman.

Luckylighter

Renderking Fisk said:
Lucky... keep this up and you'll black-list 90% of Hollywood.

The funny thing is is that I just found out some of them actually support the war, i.e. Britney Spears, Kobe Bryant, Joe Pesci and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

But you know what...they're still on my list!

theinfiniteweird

Almost any actor that is known for, "Let's watch this movie becaue (insert actors or actresses name here) is in it!". In other words, what Finn said- take the top 50 actors (I'd say top 150), scratch Ford's name off.

Embark

Leonardo Dicaprio is a Big no by me for sure, might ruin the film !!
There are just so many I wouldn't want, you guys have mentioned lots of them.

ROTLA

Lucky, how could you have forgotten Janeane Garafalo and Sean Penn in your first post? And don't forget Al Franken!!

I have to say, however, that Rosie O'Donnell might be a good fit. Between takes she could hold protests about Indy's use of a gun. Of course this would probably draw a crowd, possibly a hostile one full of outraged Indy fans. But don't worry, Rosie will be well protected during her "guns are bad" speeches by her armed security!!

Why did you have to get me started?!?

As for Tim Robbins, I actually wouldn't mind him in an Indy movie. Sure, I may not agree with his political views, but I think he comes by them honestly and has people's best interests at heart. Plus, he's a great actor.

Another guy who makes my "Do Not Cast" list is Toby McGuire. I just don't see what the big deal is with this guy. He seems one heartbeat away from being dead (then again, aren't we all?). He's just so boring and bland. He needs to thank his lucky stars for Peter Parker being a dork and for the special effects in Spiderman. Those two things have continued his amazing career in Hollywood (amazing because I don't know how he keeps getting big roles).

Pale Horse, I'm glad you joined in on this one. I have to say that it seems like I'm finally getting my message-board energy back!!

Stay tuned for the next one -- it'll be my 100th career post!!

Pale Horse

Staff member
ROTLA said:

Pale Horse, I'm glad you joined in on this one. I have to say that it seems like I'm finally getting my message-board energy back!!

You may be one of the few who feel that way.

ROTLA

Pale Horse said:

About what? That you joined in on this one or that I'm getting my message board energy back?

(what a great 100th post, huh?)

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:

Heh, I'm chalking the last couple of weeks to end of summer malaise. Come that first Fall blow, this place will get back in the groove.

Back on topic, I'll second all the names mentioned -- except Sean Penn and Warren Beatty. It all comes down to the character.

With respect to Penn -- not that he would ever be in an Indy film -- but I could see him in a small supporting role, like a jaded pilot who is a longtime friend of Indiana Jones. He'd just have a scene or two and he'd offer some insight or help set the mood with some wry world-weary commentary.

As for Warren Beatty, he's a guy tailor made for the 1950's. Brash ugly American that he is. I know I hate him. Heck, what was he doing when they were casting Walter Donovan? Oh, forget that. I'm sure Beatty would have wanted real money to play Donovan.

Johan

Finn said:
No Sir Sean.

Really. If it's going to show an elder Indy past his prime age - we don't really need to associate another oldtimer in; and a mention of his father passing on would be another point towards the fact time really does move on in the Indiana Jones universe.

That's why I thought it was a good suggestion to have a flashback of HJ Sr.!