Insanely Awesome Series at Local Arthouse Cinema...

...I had to brag about this somewhere... so here will suffice.

The local arthouse is doing a Russian Fantastik series this month and next...

RUSLAN AND LUDMILA Monday 10/1, Thursday 10/4
PLANET OF STORMS Saturday 10/6, Monday 10/8, Thursday 10/11
THE AMPHIBIAN MAN Saturday 10/13, Monday 10/15, Thursday 10/18
THE HEAVENS CALL w/ The Cameraman's Revenge Saturday 10/20, Monday 10/22, Thursday 10/25
STALKER Saturday 10/27, Monday 10/29, Thursday 11/1
SOLARIS Saturday 11/3, Monday 11/5, Thursday 11/8
Coming Soon:
ERASERHEAD Saturday 11/10, Monday 11/12, Thursday 11/15
EL TOPO Saturday 11/17, Monday 11/19, Wednesday 11/21 (9pm) (No Thursday Show)
THE HOLY MOUNTAIN Saturday 11/24, Monday 11/26, Thursday 11/29

Those last four have me particularly giddy. The chance to see Tarkovsky's Solaris on the big screen.... :eek:

Oh... and the Maryland Film Festival is also sponsoring a free one-time showing of Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder at this same theater on Wednesday.... Dial M for Murder in 3D. :) I'll be there.

So uh.... yeah. Discuss your own local theater's screenings here if you like...

...I just had to brag somewhere. :)

Niteshade007

I remember seeing Dial M for Murder at Disney World (what is now Saratoga Springs) in a theater. It wasn't in 3D though.

My school plays a lot of films in their theater. This week we have Ocean's 13, Live Free or Die Hard, Lonestar, and the Heartbreak Kid. Coming up we'll have Stardust, The Simpsons Movie, Transformers, Dan in Real Life, and quite a few other summer hits.

Bringing this back to brag about my viewing last night...

Ghostbusters and Gremlins double feature both in beautiful 35mm.

The Gremlins print was a bit damaged, but considering the mostly empty theater and the late hour and the nature of the film itself, it didn't bother me-- it kinda added to that midnight screening vibe... though it was only 9:30.

Tonight I'll probably be seeing Public Enemies.

In two weeks I'll probably be seeing Angel Heart and Pink Floyd's The Wall.

I just saw Psycho on the big screen in a old theater in town...wow!

It's amazing to relinquish control and be swept away. Nowadays, we pause to go to the bathroom, take a phone call...or fast forward because we might be bored.

What an experience, especially the Martin Balsam murder!
...and of course the swinging bulb in the fruit cellar!

All string soundtrack!

Niteshade007

I recently got to see Vertigo on the big screen. Although it was never my favorite Hitchcock, I'm starting to appreciate it more. I also think it's a film that you have to see on the big screen. It's really quite breathtaking.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
I just saw Psycho on the big screen in a old theater in town...wow!

It's amazing to relinquish control and be swept away. Nowadays, we pause to go to the bathroom, take a phone call...or fast forward because we might be bored.

What an experience, especially the Martin Balsam murder!
...and of course the swinging bulb in the fruit cellar!

All string soundtrack!

Yeah, and with DVDs you so often have the time ticking away showing how much you've seen, how much is left...which really messes with the temporal experience of viewing. Things that should seem to go quickly and pauses that should seem to last for quite awhile are both wrecked havoc upon by that little digital display.

But you've pointed out the two parts of that movie that stand out to me. The shower's great, yeah, but Arbogast down the stairs tops it for me.

AlivePoet

Attila the Professor said:
But you've pointed out the two parts of that movie that stand out to me. The shower's great, yeah, but Arbogast down the stairs tops it for me.

Amen. I watched the movie again tonight just for that scene. Simply one of the best horror scenes, the tension is perfect--the overhead view of seeing the victim unwittingly walk to his death and the murderer swiftly approaching from the side. Such a chilling moment!

I noticed that Perkins actually starred in three sequels and directed "Psycho III," but I don't imagine they come close to Hitchcock's masterful movie-making.

Chicago Jones

Tarkovsky's The Mirror is the only film I have seen of his and it was pointless. Yes the cinematography was good but thats it.

Chicago Jones said:
Tarkovsky's The Mirror is the only film I have seen of his and it was pointless. Yes the cinematography was good but thats it.

Thanks for sharing. Have you any other pearls of wisdom?

Feel free to share them once you finish fellating Zach Snyder.

Chicago Jones

Zack who? You're disgusting, grow up. I just think a good film needs a good plot. The Mirror and alot of those art house films fail to do anything but show good cinematography.

"I view my life in black and white and I only watch black and white movies."

Chicago Jones said:
Zack who? You're disgusting, grow up. I just think a good film needs a good plot. The Mirror and alot of those art house films fail to do anything but show good cinematography.

"I view my life in black and white and I only watch black and white movies."

Lol-- so you're obsessed with that ****ty Watchman movie but you don't even know anything about it?

Art need not bend to your whim. That's exactly what makes it art. You'll understand that provided you ever grow up.

Chicago Jones said:
Some people will do anything to be called an artist.

Art is defined as any imitation of life.

So any one who creates is an artist. Whether their work speaks to you is another matter entirely. But considering this is a topic about the "arthouse," you are both of line and out of your element if you're to try and dismiss art as "pretentious" as you are seemingly trying to do.

Bugger off now. Go some place safe where people don't try to explore their anxieties and their dreams in any sort of creative manner. May plot anchor you lest you be treading water in a sea of ambition.

Chicago Jones

ResidentAlien said:
Art is defined as any imitation of life.
May plot anchor you lest you be treading water in a sea of ambition.

Dude now your just sounding like a masked face, art school moron who thinks everything in Black and White is gold.

Chicago Jones said:
Dude now your just sounding like a masked face, art school moron who thinks everything in Black and White is gold.

Black and White is ze enemy!!

:rolleyes:

Oh yes, I'm Not There, the Nouvelle Vague plagiaristic turd by Todd Haynes... that's art.

Maybe you should see some of those Black and White films that piece of **** rips off before you open your ignorant mouth, eh?