New Video - Reuniting the Family

chapter11

When and where did I bemoan the quality of the film itself? I do beseech you to explain that to me; I haven't, you see.

ResidentAlien, I was quoting you for the "if you get excited over the same old news" comment. I didn't mean for the "bemoaning the quality of the film" to be attributed to you, too, and I apologize. It was a separate thought unrelated to your comments.

But I think our definitions of "normal" are divergent. Normalcy I equate with complacency and I'd rather stand up and judge things for myself than to turn a blind eye and bow down in said complacency. If you can't question and make up your own conclusions... well what good are you then? Bleat in compliance if you like. I choose not to.

The "bleating like a sheep" thing is such a crutch on these boards. Anytime someone isn't beating his chest in negativity about Lucas and Spielburg, we're sheep. My point is: THIS IS JUST A PROMOTIONAL VIDEO. If it doesn't float your boat, what's it matter?

Here's what got me really riled up, by the way:

Lucas, quiet? Naaahhhhh! Palpatine, I mean Lucas has to keep the dollars coming in! He can't do that without fluffing the masses.

In what way is a three-minute promotional video -- one that is certain to be just one among dozens and dozens by the time the movie actually hits theaters -- keeping the dollars coming in? And how is it fluffing the masses? Nobody is charging you money to watch the video. Nobody is forcing you to stream it. And Lucas probably had nothing to do with it, anyway. You think he sits around in his castle on a hill and determines what will appear on indianajones.com every day?

Perhaps I'm just too much of a sheep to see why there's such a storm of negatity around a simple little free video. "For the fans?" Spielburg should have said "For you ungrateful little gits." That would have been more accurate.

Last edited:

deckard24

I think it's common knowledge that Lucas and Co. are behind the marketing of Indy. Spielberg I'm sure has a say, but I'm pretty sure it's Lucas who's calling the shots on toys, video games, posters, trailers, tv spots, merchandise, etc..Have you ever noticed how the majority of Spielberg's films are lacking in the extras dept. when it comes to DVDs, or how his films independet of Lucas don't generate tons of behind the scenes videos on websites that you have to pay just to be a member of ie. StarWars.com?

Personally I'm a little tired of the milking of fans of their money! When I see the powers at be give us a supposed brand new clip of behind the scenes IJ4 footage "reuniting the family" and it turns out to be nothing but 4 year old footage, I see that as they're pretty much saying "they'll take whatever we give them!". It might only be a 3 minute promo video with many more to come, but how many more will be like that? Also take the YIJC on DVD, why is that only being released now? Pretty simple, fans are starting to get ramped up for IJ4 and now is the perfect time to drop that in stores to make the most money! If that wasn't the case why not release it years ago with the trilogy DVD set? So yeah it might only be a short video, but it speaks volumes to me of the bigger picture and mindset of those that run the show!

chapter11

deckard24 said:
I think it's common knowledge that Lucas and Co. are behind the marketing of Indy.

Well, sure, in the big picture Lucas has a say in the marketing of Indiana Jones. No argument there. But I seriously doubt Lucas has nothing better to do with his time than micro-manage the flow of promotional videos on the official website.

deckard24 said:
I'm pretty sure it's Lucas who's calling the shots on toys, video games, posters, trailers, tv spots, merchandise, etc...

I'm inclined to think Lucas more likely leaves most of the details up to the people he's hired to head up the merchanding areas.

deckard24 said:
Also take the YIJC on DVD, why is that only being released now? Pretty simple, fans are starting to get ramped up for IJ4 and now is the perfect time to drop that in stores to make the most money!

Shocking! They're releasing Young Indy on DVD at a time when demand is high for them, as oppopsed to two or three years ago when almost no one would have been interested. This isn't "milking the fans," it's just good business sense.

deckard24

"it's just good business sense."

Maybe so, but I still see a correlation between video clips like the one we got and the money making machine run by Lucas and Co.. So far we've gotten a lot of teasing which is okay if it's new footage! But to me when they know fans are waiting patiently (or in some cases impatiently) for something new and exciting and they give us a bunch of old footage, well I'm just not impressed! Thankfully they don't charge to view IndianaJones.com yet! I really lost respect when they started the whole Hyperspace.com membership just to view clips that would end up on the DVDs! That to me spoke volumes.

chapter11

deckard24 said:
The money making machine run by Lucas and Co.

Ah yes, the great evil that is capitalism! I'll never understand why I'm supposed to begrudge Lucas his fortune (and glory). But moving on...

deckard24 said:
So far we've gotten a lot of teasing which is okay if it's new footage! But to me when they know fans are waiting patiently (or in some cases impatiently) for something new and exciting and they give us a bunch of old footage, well I'm just not impressed!

You mean teaser footage that's three minutes long. I don't know about you, but I'd never seen any of that material before. But regardless, it's 180 seconds of footage. And it's free. I still don't understand the problem.

deckard24

"Ah yes, the great evil that is capitalism! I'll never understand why I'm supposed to begrudge Lucas his fortune (and glory)."

So because I don't agree with the fact that Lucas does things like charge fans money to access major features on his website, the same fans whose support through ticket and merchandise sales put Lucas in the position he's in today, I'm saying capitalism is evil? Okay, whatever you say man!

Kingsley

I think the problem is that Lucas, tough fan of indy himself, can sacrifice a little integrity of the film for money.

He surely likes the character he created, but he isnt idealistic enough to ignore te bunch of money he can earn if he makes a few commercial "additions" to the movie.
It's a pitty, because he already has the money to behave a little more idealistic in this life.

chapter11 said:
The "bleating like a sheep" thing is such a crutch on these boards. Anytime someone isn't beating his chest in negativity about Lucas and Spielburg, we're sheep. My point is: THIS IS JUST A PROMOTIONAL VIDEO. If it doesn't float your boat, what's it matter?

No, anytime you blindly accept what they're giving you, you're sheep. Question it. I'm not saying every thing is bad, and I don't know of anyone that is. But some stuff has been awful and to praise it and accept it just because it's there is a sheepish response.

No Ticket

deckard24 said:
"Ah yes, the great evil that is capitalism! I'll never understand why I'm supposed to begrudge Lucas his fortune (and glory)."

So because I don't agree with the fact that Lucas does things like charge fans money to access major features on his website, the same fans whose support through ticket and merchandise sales put Lucas in the position he's in today, I'm saying capitalism is evil? Okay, whatever you say man!

You know, he is basically turning the website's paid access into that of a magazine. Which isn't that bad really. I mean, fifteen years ago nobody would get mad because someone wants to charge you for a magazine, but today we are so used to free things online that we get mad. You still get a LOT free on the site. IGN.com did the same thing, and I can understand why. They offer more up-to-date news than a magazine and you can watch videos and such too.

StarWars.com gives you a lot for free and even more if your willing to pay. I don't see what is bad about that at all.

chapter11

deckard24 said:

No, but you seem to equate a free video offered on IndianaJones.com as inherently bad (and somehow moneygrabbing, too) because it contains some old, previously unseen footage. Nonsensical if you ask me! It's not even remotely related to this vendetta you seem to have against paid footage on StarWars.com. (And by the way, unless someone stole your credit card and charged it for access to the Star Wars stuff against your will, I don't think you should be blaming Lucas for THAT, either.)

ResidentAlien said:
No, anytime you blindly accept what they're giving you, you're sheep. Question it. I'm not saying every thing is bad, and I don't know of anyone that is. But some stuff has been awful and to praise it and accept it just because it's there is a sheepish response.

Dude, there's nothing to "blindly accept." It's a free video. I watched it. It had some interesting stuff in it, and some not-interesting stuff. It was 180 seconds of my life. I didn't "praise" it, I simply shrugged and I cannot, for the life me, see what is the big deal.

What is the "awful stuff" that's been praised and accepted, exactly? Would that be Raiders, Temple, or Last Crusade? Because that's the only Indy stuff I've paid money for, and I don't regret a penny of it!

Edit: No, wait, I also spent money on the Fate of Atlantis computer game. Loved it. Damn you, George Lucas and your money-grabbing empire, for charging me money for stuff I've actually enjoyed! I shall never, ever forgive you!

Last edited:
chapter11 said:
Dude, there's nothing to "blindly accept." It's a free video. I watched it. It had some interesting stuff in it, and some not-interesting stuff. It was 180 seconds of my life. I didn't "praise" it, I simply shrugged and I cannot, for the life me, see what is the big deal.

Your loss.

deckard24

"It's not even remotely related to this vendetta you seem to have against paid footage on StarWars.com."

I don't have a vendetta, just an opinion on the subject! If you don't see it as related that's fine, it's your opinion and your entitled to it! I see the mindset behind the marketing campaign of Lucas and Co. as directly related to this 3 minute video clip. That mindset being a "They'll take whatever we throw at them, and in most cases pay for it!" philosophy.

chapter11

deckard24 said:
I don't have a vendetta, just an opinion on the subject! If you don't see it as related that's fine, it's your opinion and your entitled to it! I see the mindset behind the marketing campaign of Lucas and Co. as directly related to this 3 minute video clip. That mindset being a "They'll take whatever we throw at them, and in most cases pay for it!" philosophy.

As evidenced by all the FREE content we've seen so far? Yes, now I see. Those bastards.

No Ticket

deckard24 said:
"It's not even remotely related to this vendetta you seem to have against paid footage on StarWars.com."

I'm gonna have to agree with Chapter 11, you two are taking that video way too personally and acting like the people in charge of the marketing are really out to get you or something.

Maybe they want to keep the site updated with new content to get you "excited" for the new film. Maybe they didn't have time to shoot a bunch of new interviews so they used old archive footage so you at least have something to watch or perhaps they want to keep you coming back to the site for more and are just teasing. Either way, the mentality that they're just throwing anything at you because you'll take anything is stupid.

It's free. It's like disagreeing to a commercial you saw on television. Who cares? You didn't have to watch it, it was fairly short. It's a nothing video on the website just meant to get you and others ex citied. Possibly the others who haven't seen all that footage that is old and maybe don't realize it anyway, so it doesn't bother them.

They haven't asked anything of you from Indiana Jones.com. The site lay nearly untouched for years and now it has become active with a new layout and videos to watch... just shut up about the fact that one of those videos apparently attacked you on some kind of level to make you feel the need to rebel against them for doing that to you.

ResidentAlien, you said "your loss." How so? Let's say that you decide not to accept the crap they're shoving down your throat and millions of others do that too... so what you get out of it is that they don't make a short video on IJ.com to build excitement for the film. Or you get a video with behind the scenes stuff. That will probably come too, get over it.

To act like this is really that big of a deal or that it has somehow been aimed at it's fans in a mocking way is ridiculous. Make your statement. It will make no difference to them or me or anyone else. Because I think most people see that it's just a stupid video on the official site.

A video that was made, IMO, with absolutely the best of intentions.

No Ticket said:
ResidentAlien, you said "your loss." How so? Let's say that you decide not to accept the crap they're shoving down your throat and millions of others do that too... so what you get out of it is that they don't make a short video on IJ.com to build excitement for the film. Or you get a video with behind the scenes stuff. That will probably come too, get over it.

It's his loss that he can't recognize that he's being led.

When you boil it down, the video really isn't all that important. It's the idea behind it, the idea of blind acceptance that the video encourages. What's really important is that people, come May 22nd, don't go into the movie and say it's good just cause it's Indiana Jones, or likewise say it's bad just because they don't want another film. It's about remaining objective. That's the real issue.

JimmyPSHayes

I really don't think it's blind acceptance that's being forced upon you by this video. Look, it's a promotional video to promote Indiana Jones 4. That's pretty much it. You don't have to watch it if you don't want to. I, for one, think it's great that they're doing little "teaser" videos to get us excited and keep us up to date-without revealing too much-on filming. No, the video was NOT ground-breaking and full of knock-your-socks-off revelations, but it wasn't meant to be.

chapter11

ResidentAlien said:
It's his loss that he can't recognize that he's being led. When you boil it down, the video really isn't all that important. It's the idea behind it, the idea of blind acceptance that the video encourages. What's really important is that people, come May 22nd, don't go into the movie and say it's good just cause it's Indiana Jones, or likewise say it's bad just because they don't want another film. It's about remaining objective. That's the real issue.

Oh, for crying out loud. Get off your high horse! You're making some extremely bizarre leaps of "logic" here that aren't even remotely related to reality *or* anything I've said in this entire pointless thread.

The video symbolizes nothing. NOTHING. It's not symbolic of some big-picture scheme by Lucas to fleece the masses. It's not a money-grubbing stunt. It's none of those things, and you're only making yourself look silly by insisting that anyone who doesn't feel violated and cheated by that video is a mindless sheep.

Come May 22, I and everyone else on this board will go to movies. We'll see a new Indiana Jones flick. Most of us, being Indiana Jones fans, are excited by the prospect of a new movie made by the same people who brought us the original three. Some of us are hesitant because of Ford's age and Lucas' recent track record. But for the most part, I think many people are still excited and remain cautiously optimistic. We don't have blind faith, just a little cheery optimism.

In any event, if it's a good movie, we'll like it. If it's not, we'll be disappointed. End of story.

chapter11 said:
Oh, for crying out loud. Get off your high horse! You're making some extremely bizarre leaps of "logic" here that aren't even remotely related to reality *or* anything I've said in this entire pointless thread.

The video symbolizes nothing. NOTHING. It's not symbolic of some big-picture scheme by Lucas to fleece the masses. It's not a money-grubbing stunt. It's none of those things, and you're only making yourself look silly by insisting that anyone who doesn't feel violated and cheated by that video is a mindless sheep.

Come May 22, I and everyone else on this board will go to movies. We'll see a new Indiana Jones flick. Most of us, being Indiana Jones fans, are excited by the prospect of a new movie made by the same people who brought us the original three. Some of us are hesitant because of Ford's age and Lucas' recent track record. But for the most part, I think many people are still excited and remain cautiously optimistic. We don't have blind faith, just a little cheery optimism.

In any event, if it's a good movie, we'll like it. If it's not, we'll be disappointed. End of story.

Who's on a high horse here? I've made my point and yet you keep coming back to tell me I'm wrong. I've had one point here all along. No great leap of logic, if you don't like my point, tough ****in' luck. Chill out, calm down. Take a deep breath and relax. And you're still missing the damned point. What I'm insisting is that anyone who doesn't QUESTION what they're looking out is a ****ing idiot--a stool pigeon, a sheep; and that's hard to argue because it's absolutely right. It's about questioning and remaining objective. Not about feeling violated. Open your eyes, dammit.

chapter11

ResidentAlien said:
Who's on a high horse here? I've made my point and yet you keep coming back to tell me I'm wrong. I've had one point here all along. No great leap of logic, if you don't like my point, tough ****in' luck. Chill out, calm down. Take a deep breath and relax. And you're still missing the damned point. What I'm insisting is that anyone who doesn't QUESTION what they're looking out is a ****ing idiot--a stool pigeon, a sheep; and that's hard to argue because it's absolutely right. It's about questioning and remaining objective. Not about feeling violated. Open your eyes, dammit.

I get your point, I just think it's ludicrous to apply it to this particular topic. There's a big difference between being a skeptic and being a cynic. But whatever. This topic is dead.

chapter11 said:
I get your point, I just think it's ludicrous to apply it to this particular topic. There's a big difference between being a skeptic and being a cynic. But whatever. This topic is dead.

Yes, thanks to you and your now very dead horse.